What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

New Build

Daanish

Tom is a good lad | Retired Staff
Unlinked
Hello!
I currently have an Alienware Area 51 (2011) and after having it break down several times, I've decided to get it fixed for the last time, sell it, and build my own! (Let me know thoughts on price and where I can sell it. I'm hoping £600-£800).
Now, onto the new build. After speaking with lionel, we've come up with the following build (Parts from ebuyer - will shop around though) for about £1300. This is a bit expensive for me - I'm looking to cut down the price to around £1000 or £1100 (Depending on how much I sell the old one for). Here are the parts. The only thing I can't decide on the the graphics card. Do I splash out and get the 980? Or save money with a R9 290x? (I'm much more used to AMD graphics.)

http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/list/446181 (link to all parts)

AMD FX 9590 4.7GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor Without Fan

Corsair Hydro Series H55 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 990FX Socket AM3+ 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Asus GTX 980 Direct CUII OC Strix 4GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI 3 DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SATA III 2.5 Inch SSD *UPDATED*

WD 2TB Green Desktop Hard Drive

16GB 2400MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM (Kit of 2) XMP Beast Series

Fractal Design Intergra M 750w Semi Modular Power Supply

NZXT H440 Mid Tower Black/Orange *UPDATED. THEY HAVE NOW GOT THE H440*

So, what do you guys think? Is it a good build? How can I decrease the price or improve it? How long do eBuyer discounts last? Will I be ok building a PC for the first time? (My uncle / lionel can help me, but it's still a bit scary as it's my first time and I don't want to mess up)
Thanks for reading,
Daanish

Edit: Anything with *Updated* next to it means that I have changed what was originally there due to your comments

Last edited by a moderator:
COOMMMICCC SANNSS...  Whai? Whai I ask!

Apart from that... sexy build!

Comic sans for the same reason jake uses pink

I would get the 850 evo over the 840, as there have been reported issues with the 840 slowing down.

also I personally believe you don't need a 500GB drive, just put the stuff you really use often on it e.g. arma3 but personal preference really.

And of course i can pop round and help you build it !!

980! 980! 980!     and yes, i have one myself..... 980! (evga ofcourse)

Personally, I would lower the storage on the SSD unless you do video editing etc, instead of getting 1 GTX 980 you are better off getting 2 GTX970's (Buy 1 970 then add the other when you have more ££, this is more price efficient) water cooler isnt neceserrally needed unless you are overclocking as well (I have a decent flower cooler which runs my i7 4770k @ 50 degrees maxed out).

Personally, I would lower the storage on the SSD unless you do video editing etc, instead of getting 1 GTX 980 you are better off getting 2 GTX970's (Buy 1 970 then add the other when you have more ££, this is more price efficient) water cooler isnt neceserrally needed unless you are overclocking as well (I have a decent flower cooler which runs my i7 4770k @ 50 degrees maxed out).
He's buying 9590 this thing has 220TDP and is hot like sun :p

Ahh fair enough, I was thinking of getting it at one point but decided that central heating was enough to heat my house already!

Processor = i5 4690k

Mobo = ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer

RAM = 16B Overkill switch to 8GB such as Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB

PSU = get yourself a corsair vs550 etc

SSD = Samsung 850 evo 120gb (500gb is just too much)

case = whatever you like, i personally love the Corsair 200r case

Cooling - unless you are doing extreme overclocking then water cooling can be unnecessary, aftermarket coolers such as Noctua NH-14/15 are really good

Processor = i5 4690k

Mobo = ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer

RAM = 16B Overkill switch to 8GB such as Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB

PSU = get yourself a corsair vs550 etc

SSD = Samsung 850 evo 120gb (500gb is just too much)

case = whatever you like, i personally love the Corsair 200r case

Cooling - unless you are doing extreme overclocking then water cooling can be unnecessary, aftermarket coolers such as Noctua NH-14/15 are really good
Only thing id swap would be the PSU to a Superflower made PSU, EVGA sell them etc.

The Zalman CNPS9900 is a beast cooler and its what im using, for £40 its well worth it.

Can confirm that the ASUS 797 Pro is sexy as well

Only issue with going sli are compatibility with some software, although this is getting better, and power consumption. You would need to make sure you have enough. Then Ontop of that your raising the ambient temp quite a bit

Only issue with going sli are compatibility with some software, although this is getting better, and power consumption. You would need to make sure you have enough. Then Ontop of that your raising the ambient temp quite a bit
Yeah, SLI compatibility is a pain in the butt, the cooler solution works better if you have a case with decent airflow (HAF stacker owner). I wouldnt of thought power consumption would be an issue if AMD CPU's are being thought of :)

In addition to what lionel said, the 970 had problems when assigning more than 3.5 gb of Vram to anything.

I don't know enough about AMD's graphic cards to comment on that.

but from past experiences have found their drivers are shit, although that may of changed, but what i have heard from others that isnt the case. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Filty rich people

God I am jaelous

Back