What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

New Computer Feedback

Conor Ajazuri

Unlinked
Looking to buy a new PC, ive asked around a bit and we have come up with this:

39290fb791d4a18db412c01a28316c10.png

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LNGHsJ

If  I could get opinions it would be much appreciated, my budget is around £850.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a cheaper i7 and get some cheaper not high branded ram. Also if you are not gonna overclock don't by a unlocked processor. Which means you can ditch the aftermarket cooler.

If you're happy with it, I wouldnt change a thing about it. Solid CPU gives you room to overclock if desired. CM 212 cooler is a great cooler and not expensive, a great easy addition over the frankly crappy stock coolers. I see you haven't included any drives, I assume you're carrying those over from your old pc.

Looks good, enjoy!

You could either save abit of money by getting a cheaper i7, you should maybe try get 16gb ram and maybe an ssd if you can

Listen to the It educated person not to the rest. In case you are wondering that is me.

I would absolutely be waiting at the current moment, as much as Ryzen felt like a disappointment, it would be best so whether or not their R5's will beat an i5/i7 in gaming.

Currently: People think it's a no, because it's supposedly a 2+2 Dual-CCX configuration rather than a 4+0 Single-CCX configuration (What this means is that it may not be able to hit the single threaded performance because of CCX-based latency issues, around 10%-20% performance drop) Though they are meant to be cheaper.

If you do not wish to do that, and you wish to go with the route you have chosen, let me pick out issues:

• K series are Intel CPUs which can be overclocked past a base or turbo clock. If you are trying to save money, and you aren't going to overclock past boost, why not go for a non-K chip? The i5-7600K turbos up to 4.2Ghz, on an aftermarket cooler like yours chosen, you could push 4.4/4.6GHz, however, if that was a CLC such as a Corsair H100i etc. you could most likely hit 5GHz very easily, that is with a  chip though.
  • Being on an ARMA community, I assume you are mainly playing ARMA, if so you will not see any benefit whatsoever from getting an i7-7700k other than the added premium of more cores and better multi-tasking performance than the i5 for £100 extra (i7-7700K). ARMA is a single-threaded workload game, and the performance differences between the two is not worth the price of admission.
  • The motherboard seems okay, cannot find much on it, but it should not cause you any issues. Only issue is that your RAM speed will be limited to 2400MHz.
  • RAM is a bit of a biggy, games are optimising for more and more RAM and I find that working with just 8GB isn't really viable within a PC build much more. Its fair to stay with it and then upgrade to 16GB at a later date, but in my opinion, its £40 extra for 16GB so you are saving money down the line. However, your motherboard is going to be a big crux of your RAM, if it can only clock to 2400MHz, you aren't getting as much speed as you could for your buck, especially seeing as CAS latencies are not lowering whatsoever even when you are looking at 2133MHz or 2400MHz. My suggestion would be to search for a new motherboard that supports much higher RAM speeds (DDR4-3000+), it shouldn't be too much extra, but at least you are actually getting optimal performance out of a component. For example.
  • Can't fault a GTX 1070, very fast card, could save money and get an RX480, but you are going to take big performance hits from doing so, on the other hand, Vega pitted for Q2 release, could wait for benchmarks on that if you are patient to see if AMD are going to come out with a competing card in terms of price and performance both.
  • Your case is fine.
  • PSU SHOULD be fine, at least it is not a Builder brand.
  • No storage? You going to store your files on air? I assume you are going to use previous drives, if you haven't got an SSD already, get one later, I cannot advise how much of a stunning purchase an SSD is, as you will notice a major difference.
Hope this helps.

Listen to the It educated person not to the rest. In case you are wondering that is me.

If you're happy with it, I wouldnt change a thing about it. Solid CPU gives you room to overclock if desired. CM 212 cooler is a great cooler and not expensive, a great easy addition over the frankly crappy stock coolers. I see you haven't included any drives, I assume you're carrying those over from your old pc.

Looks good, enjoy!

b1c6533ee4ff166714eb4842ba342cd9.png

Have you met @Zeito ?

Have you met @Zeito ?
In case anyone has any doubts, I do actually hold a degree in Computer Science and have been an IT professional for 5 years, and held interest in the area well before my early teens.

• Generally not a whole lot between an i5 and an i7 except price, and a few clock cycles. the i7 is a 'nice to have', but the i5 is more or less just as strong. K series unlocked processors are better to buy then non-unlocked since they give you that easy overclockability. He may not want to now, but at least when he does want to, he wont have to buy a whole new CPU. STICK WITH THE CPU.
  • RAM speeds in mhz and overlocking really ultimately do not matter. Higher speeds are better, but for the average user the diffierence is so miniscule as to not really matter.
  • As some have pointed out, 8GB will start to cut it pretty fine and I agree 16gb would be better. Thankfully RAM is pretty cheap as hell.
  • AMDs Ryzen while good for productivity is currently a big bag of shit for gaming on. Improvements may come, but who wants that? If yu're building a PC now you want it working well now - not in 6/12/18 months. I am well known for my stance of Intel Preference.
  • The guy has put together an Intel Build and has the money for it, theres no compatibility issues, and if he is happy with the build then I dont see the issue.
  • Gpu is fine, the 1070 is a really good card and I'm a big fan of MSIs offerings, particularly their TwinFrozr cooler.
@lionel would you care to chime in on anything here? but I swear to god you better not come in ringing the Ryzen bell :p

In case anyone has any doubts, I do actually hold a degree in Computer Science and have been an IT professional for 5 years, and held interest in the area well before my early teens.

• Generally not a whole lot between an i5 and an i7 except price, and a few clock cycles. the i7 is a 'nice to have', but the i5 is more or less just as strong. K series unlocked processors are better to buy then non-unlocked since they give you that easy overclockability. He may not want to now, but at least when he does want to, he wont have to buy a whole new CPU. STICK WITH THE CPU.
  • RAM speeds in mhz and overlocking really ultimately do not matter. Higher speeds are better, but for the average user the diffierence is so miniscule as to not really matter.
  • As some have pointed out, 8GB will start to cut it pretty fine and I agree 16gb would be better. Thankfully RAM is pretty cheap as hell.
  • AMDs Ryzen while good for productivity is currently a big bag of shit for gaming on. Improvements may come, but who wants that? If yu're building a PC now you want it working well now - not in 6/12/18 months. I am well known for my stance of Intel Preference.
  • The guy has put together an Intel Build and has the money for it, theres no compatibility issues, and if he is happy with the build then I dont see the issue.
  • Gpu is fine, the 1070 is a really good card and I'm a big fan of MSIs offerings, particularly their TwinFrozr cooler.
@lionel would you care to chime in on anything here? but I swear to god you better not come in ringing the Ryzen bell :p
Agree with Zeito on this one, sorry Auxen, but I agree about if you don't need to overclock, don't bother; sentiment though, I rarely overclock myself either.

The reason I would agree with Zeito is simply, ARMA3 is so badly optimised, that the only way to eek out extra performance is through overclocking, so if you find you have just paid up £800 and are not happy with the performance in Arma, you still have a way of getting that bit more fps, which if limited to the i7 you suggested you would not have that option.

Sorry to say it though Zeito, if the upgrade is for multiple gaming and general use I would still recommend Ryzen over the above, but if it is a pure Arma build or Comp gaming build I would recommend Intel as well (potentially wait for Ryzen5 just to see). But 16 threads yum yum yum, could you imagine if Arma finally fixed their coding to utilise all that computer power!!! (that big bag of shit is only a 5fps or 10 fps difference, its not as bad as some make out (this will vary from game to game, e.g. newer titles that do utilise all cores do better)) It really all boils down to what benefits you will outside of that 10fps difference, e.g. streaming browsing music video encoding (yeah i edit clips for uploading whilst gaming :) no im not a woman men can multitask too) I am really trying to make the point about ryzen as long as possible to really annoy zeito so this should now be the main part of the post and the longest so you don't actually have to keep reading this I am just rambling on to create a wall of text for the absolute sole purpose to annoy somebody :)

P.s. You sound like a complete Knob head when you say this, and personally from me to you : Fuck off and get a better attitude, there are many more experienced people in this world than you that you have no idea what their experience is. So far from what bibble you have spouted my vote is with Zeito.
I presume you were recommending this i7 ?? You know because it's a really good price AND i7 = AWESOME GAMING RIG CAUSE ITS GOT A HIGHER NUMBER, Do you work in PC World (MEDIAMARKT)???

Last edited by a moderator:
Big wall of text

ARMA is spaghetti-code, won't ever be optimised enough.

Unless this dude is doing some good ol' multi-threaded workloads Ryzen is going to be pretty useless in his case, best to get the bang of the buck out of an i5 instead, especially when Ryzen is literally a paid beta for Zen+ next year.

Ryzen 5 will not live up to your expectations, it probably cannot overclock high enough because of voltage issues, and if they go to the root of dual-CCX, 2+2, rather than single-CCX, 4+0, then you aren't going to have much in the line of performance.

In case anyone has any doubts, I hold a degree in Classic Internet Memery, and have memed for the past five years, and held interest in the area well before my early teens

If he isn't going to overclock his i5 past boost, is there any need of getting a K chip? They are higher binned chips, that is a fact, but if he doesn't want to push it himself, it would be better going with a non-K chip, saving £20-£30 and putting that somewhere else within the system.

RAM speeds don't matter that much, but you are spending £100 for 16GB already @ 2133Mhz, it's between a few pounds price for 16GB @ 3000MHz for a little performance boost.

Don't see what you mean about Ryzen, you want performance improvements and optimisations to keep happening 6/12/18 months down the line no matter what, obviously Ryzen isn't as good for single-threaded performance, but it's not bad, 10% min - 25% max, and then you are set for an upgrade to Zen+ if it turns out to be a lot better than their current flagship offerings, next year.

The issue is, reviews absolute canned on Ryzen for its single-thread performance, I can understand why, but when I see "WOW ONLY GETTING 120FPS IN SAID GAME HERE AND INTEL GETS 140FPS, FAILMD CHIP LUL", you have sit back and think, how many people use 120Hz monitors, and how much of a difference is that 20FPS when your minimums are up by 10-20FPS anyway, so you are getting a much smoother gaming experience and you won't get frame dissonance.

I'm not going to chime in much on the actual system, other than saying that most of the suggestions work, but all depend on your budget and time frame. Looking at this, you are probably on a limited budget and the build you put together will work fine and is fairly balanced. As for time frame, that's down to you.

I actually like the 212 evo, great cooler at its price. Personally, I didn't even buy it for it's cooling performance at the time, like most people are assuming on this thread. I actually bought it along with a couple of case fans to reduce system noise. Which over a stock cooler, it did that wonderfully.

Now, on to the reason I actually came onto this thread. Lets all stop waving our qualifications around like we're measuring dicks. Let's be honest, this industry changes so much that your qualifications mean about as much as a picture showing how good I look in a dress. To actually have any other techie respect the advice you give, you need to give good reasons for it, not just say "oh listen to me I have level 69 computer engineering from harvard in 1984". You also have to give advice that is consistently proven to work, as I know @Zeito has done here many times.

@Auxen Seriously, feel free to give suggestions, but don't come in trying to tell people to listen to you and only you. If your advice is correct, prove it with stats and graphs. In fact, if you had done that in the first place and your advice was better in every possibly way, I'm sure we'd all be sat here agreeing with you. If you're not willing to do that, and actually prove what you're saying, then the tech forum is probably not the best place for you to be.

- Marc

I'm not going to chime in much on the actual system, other than saying that most of the suggestions work, but all depend on your budget and time frame. Looking at this, you are probably on a limited budget and the build you put together will work fine and is fairly balanced. As for time frame, that's down to you.

I actually like the 212 evo, great cooler at its price. Personally, I didn't even buy it for it's cooling performance at the time, like most people are assuming on this thread. I actually bought it along with a couple of case fans to reduce system noise. Which over a stock cooler, it did that wonderfully.

Now, on to the reason I actually came onto this thread. Lets all stop waving our qualifications around like we're measuring dicks. Let's be honest, this industry changes so much that your qualifications mean about as much as a picture showing how good I look in a dress. To actually have any other techie respect the advice you give, you need to give good reasons for it, not just say "oh listen to me I have level 69 computer engineering from harvard in 1984". You also have to give advice that is consistently proven to work, as I know @Zeito has done here many times.

@Auxen Seriously, feel free to give suggestions, but don't come in trying to tell people to listen to you and only you. If your advice is correct, prove it with stats and graphs. In fact, if you had done that in the first place and your advice was better in every possibly way, I'm sure we'd all be sat here agreeing with you. If you're not willing to do that, and actually prove what you're saying, then the tech forum is probably not the best place for you to be.

- Marc
I'm just making a joke. If you can't handle sarcasm maybe the forum is not the place to be. (sarcasm again)

I'm just making a joke. If you can't handle sarcasm maybe the forum is not the place to be. (sarcasm again)
Oh I apologise good sir, now I read again... after seeing your advice and then several given by others... seeing your next post telling people to listen to you is quite clearly sarcasm. I should have noticed in the first place, my bad. /sarcasm

Back