What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

New Player Experience

Ryker

Investor
Investor
Lifetime Donator
After many conversations with people it is clear to me that the new player experience is hard, confusing and not engaging. This frustration leads to a new player retention problem. 

All of these issues were highlighted on a stream some people and I watched this morning. In this stream we saw the first few hours of a new player on the server. He was clueless and clearly struggling. If he did not receive the help he did in his twitch chat he would have most likely not figured out what to do. Find the stream in question here: 

Many people have complained about the UX issues in the past, however, no real solution has been put forward. After a chat on teamspeak with quite a few people this is what we concluded:

Suggestion:

• New starting area for new players
  • New player meets an NPC labelled as Uncle or something
  • This NPC offers him a shitty car (Something like this: https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Tornado?file=Tornado3-GTAV-front.png)
  • The car is broken
  • You go back to the NPC
  • The NPC gives you a repair kit saying "ah I am not handy with this stuff, if you fix it the car is yours" 

This introduces the player to the inventory system and how to use certain items

[*]Inside the car you find a magazine --> something like "Los Santos Tourist Brochure"

• This magazine will outline exactly how to work towards your first 20/30k on the server through the basic starting jobs (These guides need to be more explicit than the wiki).

Would definitely help, if I wasn't in this community already and know people to ask questions I would of had no idea what I was doing and where to ask for help! The F5 with controls is definitely helpful but it's not much for a a total novice

This is a really massive suggestion with all sorts of sub parts, however my 'main' issues that have been further highlighted from @Droge Worst's stream

• When people type their question in chat, it just disappears. In my opinion (my suggestion here) - It should inform people something like "Thanks for typing a message, use twitter for in roleplay questions or type /ooc 'msg' to ask an ooc question"
  • Cars are too difficult to get a hold of for transportation purposes and people don't want to have to run everywhere, there could be a 'starting car' or unlock a % of NPC cars so they can stolen until people earn money to buy their own (my suggestion here)
  • The wiki / F5 menu needs to be promoted more. We see Droge reference this a lot, especially for controls. In my opinion this should be on the loading screen or mentioned when you type in OOC, or displayed as server announcement. (my suggestion here)
  • Jobs are really difficult to figure out how to do by yourself, when you go to a job it could give you the option to open the associated Wiki page with that job (my third point could help with this)

Last edited by a moderator:
We have also taken note of this and will slam our heads together to assist.

What about maybe getting the community to write some guides? Staff time is at a premium but there are plenty of qualified people who could write a decent guide from a community perspective. We were all new once! 

Is it up to date? I've seen a bunch of Newby questions in ooc recently. Is it just people are unaware of the wiki and could there be some form of better advertising to direct people to it? Last time I looked at it it was quite out of date. I admit this was some time ago however. 

Is it up to date? I've seen a bunch of Newby questions in ooc recently. Is it just people are unaware of the wiki and could there be some form of better advertising to direct people to it? Last time I looked at it it was quite out of date. I admit this was some time ago however. 
Yes and 100% that's been my suggestion above

This is a really massive suggestion with all sorts of sub parts, however my 'main' issues that have been further highlighted from @Droge Worst's stream

• When people type their question in chat, it just disappears. In my opinion (my suggestion here) - It should inform people something like "Thanks for typing a message, use twitter for in roleplay questions or type /ooc 'msg' to ask an ooc question"
  • Cars are too difficult to get a hold of for transportation purposes and people don't want to have to run everywhere, there could be a 'starting car' or unlock a % of NPC cars so they can stolen until people earn money to buy their own (my suggestion here)
  • The wiki / F5 menu needs to be promoted more. We see Droge reference this a lot, especially for controls. In my opinion this should be on the loading screen or mentioned when you type in OOC, or displayed as server announcement. (my suggestion here)
  • Jobs are really difficult to figure out how to do by yourself, when you go to a job it could give you the option to open the associated Wiki page with that job (my third point could help with this)

Well if you want some basic instruction guides writing for the wiki I'd be happy to help. I can do the content if you want to do the formatting or whatever cos I'm no wiki editor. 

Well if you want some basic instruction guides writing for the wiki I'd be happy to help. I can do the content if you want to do the formatting or whatever cos I'm no wiki editor. 
I belive you can apply for wiki editor

Suggestion:

• New starting area for new players
  • New player meets an NPC labelled as Uncle or something
  • This NPC offers him a shitty car (Something like this: https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Tornado?file=Tornado3-GTAV-front.png)
  • The car is broken
  • You go back to the NPC
  • The NPC gives you a repair kit saying "ah I am not handy with this stuff, if you fix it the car is yours" 

This introduces the player to the inventory system and how to use certain items

[*]Inside the car you find a magazine --> something like "Los Santos Tourist Brochure"

• This magazine will outline exactly how to work towards your first 20/30k on the server through the basic starting jobs (These guides need to be more explicit than the wiki).
I belive @Archieis working on this, apparently coming soon?

Believe this was to some degree implemented in last night's update. There are now tutorial NPCs spread around the city. 

Is it just people are unaware of the wiki and could there be some form of better advertising to direct people to it?
Hopefully whenever @Mike Pologets time there is gonna be a tourist brochure with that kind of info for new players - I'll send it to you in DMs if you've got anything to add 

Idk, I think a cutscene when you first make your character that does a small cinematic- showing you around the city to the points where you start out and showing the basics of the server  

Thank you for the suggestion

We will definitely look into improving the experience for a new player

Moving to Accepted

Dev ref: #667

The new player experience has now been improved with this suggestion and implemented.

They now start in a new locaation which is Sandy shores at trevors trailer, where they are introduced to an unknown character. 

The player starts with the ownership of a Tornado so they dont need to do crime to start playing. 

They also start with a driver licence, as this was just to drive to point B and purchase anyways, until we add some sort of driving school/test.

They get informed clearly about the F5 Wiki menu.

And go through repairing a vehicle upon joining to see how to use items.

Moving to implemented

Back