What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Overclocking GPU/CPU

Mr. Martin

Specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.0GHz
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1800+MHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 Extreme 6
Graphics
MSI GTX970

Okay, so I am planning to overclock my new CPU/GPU. 

First question would be: how long should I wait before overclocking after buying the new specs from ebay.

Second: Can you guys give me a guide on how to overclock CPU/GPU. I do not mean "how to do it" but instead the voltage increase on CPU/GPU core clock/memory clock. I would be grateful if you guys provided me with those for my CPU and GPU. I did some research and I got some information, however all the different sources say that I need to do something different, and now I'm stuck!

e.g. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/...8#.VNAaqJ2sUQM

Final question would be: Is it really WORTH IT? I mean the CPU running at 4.0GHz is pretty high for me and the graphics card is good too so can I have ur opinion guys.

Thanks in advance!

Your current CPU has a max. frequency of 4.4Ghz and your graphics card is brand new on the market and pretty powerful so in my opinion there is no need to overclock.

Leave your CPU there is no need to overclock that and GPU's are quite simple to overclock using a program like EVGA precision X

Real simple  overclock guide using EVGA precision X:

Turn the power target to full

and your GPU clock offset to around 50 MHz and keep bumping it up by +10 until it starts to crash then just -10 then setting that's all I did

what CPU cooler do you have because if you have air cooling, you obviously cant increase the voltage to much.

about the 970... with most of the cooler designs you can overclock it to about 1400MHz without being troubled with temperature to much.

I will have Cooler Master 212 Evo - for the CPU.

"and your GPU clock offset to around 50 MHz and keep bumping it up by +10 until it starts to crash then just -10 then setting that's all I did"

^ I don't understand the crashing bit, what the PC crashes? or what.

Another question I have to ask is that if I overclocked using this program for example. Can I switch the program off and will the OC stay, or do I have to keep it on in order for the OC to work?

MSI Afterburner has an option for Apply Overclocking at Start up. Pretty sure the Overclock stays if you close it though.

@Mr. Martin

^ I don't understand the crashing bit, what the PC crashes? or what.

Well the normal result of a failed mild overclock is the test crashing then screen might go black as its just resetting your graphics card as it could not run at them settings

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand Rooley: I will increase the settings, if they are ok nothing will happen. If they are not my screen will immediately go black and go back to its previous settings. Right?

Basically when a overclocked machine crashes it is because the calculations physically fail on the processor.

So whatever is then interacting with the processor will fail. Namely everything. When you reboot your machine the program that has been used to benchmark your ovrrclocking should remember what the last successful setting's were and load up with those. Please remember though that doing any of this can potentially brick your pc although unlikely and and advice given is from your request.

if you are heavily invested in wanting to overclock outside of the average program ability (hitting turbo button) i would suggest going to some ovrrclocking forums as there is some very detailed information.

Where do I turn on the turbo settings for GPU/CPU? How do they work? Is it better to run turbo at the same speed I would overclock to?

Generally most gaming boards will come with software bundled with. Go to their website and check it out.

Or you often get oc settings built into the bios

Back