What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

PC issue

SGT Owen

Roflcopter
Lifetime Donator
So currently Im having an issue that's been happening for a while and want to see if any of you guys have experienced these issues before I start troubleshooting.

So, randomly my PC will cut out. I'll hear a sharp hiss type sound through the headphones. At the same time the PC crashes, the odd part however is that the LEDs and fans will stay on.   The monitors will also stay on and only display what it was showing as it crashed.  

It also usually needs me to switch what socket I plug it into otherwise it won't turn on and a couple of times recently it hasn't been turning on for a good few minutes (which gave me a mini heart attack both times).

There's just so many things that I think it could be (PSU, mobo, CPU, power line for the mains, could be the whole damn system), so just wanted to check here to see if anyone has experienced this sort of thing before.

Thanks,

Owen

So currently Im having an issue that's been happening for a while and want to see if any of you guys have experienced these issues before I start troubleshooting.

So, randomly my PC will cut out. I'll hear a sharp hiss type sound through the headphones. At the same time the PC crashes, the odd part however is that the LEDs and fans will stay on.   The monitors will also stay on and only display what it was showing as it crashed.  

It also usually needs me to switch what socket I plug it into otherwise it won't turn on and a couple of times recently it hasn't been turning on for a good few minutes (which gave me a mini heart attack both times).

There's just so many things that I think it could be (PSU, mobo, CPU, power line for the mains, could be the whole damn system), so just wanted to check here to see if anyone has experienced this sort of thing before.

Thanks,

Owen
Have you got a surge protector you can fit to the socket? And my first guess would be power supply. Do you have another you can test with?

Seems like either the PSU is getting a surge and shutting down the machine or tripping an internal breaker. Or the PSU itself is fucked and on its way out.

@Zeito My thought was the Powersupply but wouldn't it just shut the whole thing down?

I'very been meaning to buy a surge protector for a seriously long time now but never have.

Done. Purchased :) Comes later today.  I really hope it was that simple.   

Really can't be dealing with a dead anything, it's all relatively new still :(

Thanks for the prompt response and fingers crossed :)

@Zeito My thought was the Powersupply but wouldn't it just shut the whole thing down?

I'very been meaning to buy a surge protector for a seriously long time now but never have.

Done. Purchased :) Comes later today.  I really hope it was that simple.   

Really can't be dealing with a dead anything, it's all relatively new still :(

Thanks for the prompt response and fingers crossed :)
Mmmmm it depends. I had a computer before that if it suddenly lost AC power, it just wouldnt turn back on, sometimes for 5 minute,s sometimes for hours, and it would often just come back on it's own. The whole time, it still had LEDs on the motherboard lit. It was a 'feature' of the Bios to stop a power surge from turning it off and blowing the PSU.

Check your Bios for any settings related to AC Power loss/protection etc.

Your other alternative is to unplug EVERYTHING that isnt required, GPU, HDDs, etc. power it on with the bare minimum and see if it happens again. Unfortunately without a way to make it occur, it could take a while and you are gambling with your components.

Something to consider - Does anything similar, or even odd happen with out electrical stuff in your house? When the pump/compressor in my fridge kicks in, my TV will go blank as if its switched off, for about 10-30 seconds because of the power drop/surge on a badly suppressed fridge pump. You might find that your own fridge/dishwasher/boiler/other-high-power-appliance is badly earth/supressed and is causing the problem for you, hence why it's random. I.e. te drige pump only kicks in when it needs to cool down.

The thing about that, is that my PC is in a log cabin separate from the house (don't ask :) - was originally for my drum set but moved my desk etc down there) so I'm not sure if the power down there isn't quite good enough or not.

Edit: And about the random part, it's very random. For example it didn't happen at all last night but a few days ago it happened about 5 times

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing about that, is that my PC is in a log cabin separate from the house (don't ask :) - was originally for my drum set but moved my desk etc down there) so I'm not sure if the power down there isn't quite good enough or not.
Where does it gets it's mains power from? It might still be down to surging/dropouts. Remember PCs have more than just 'on' and 'off' as power states. For example when i update and shutdown my pc the fans, cold cathode lights, etc. all keep going even though the screens are off, gpu stopped etc. then the whole things turns off.

I think the power is an extention from the house (some sort of sub circuit?) Not really sure about how it's all setup. But all along the garden there are power sockets at fairly regular intervals so I'm guessing it's not the cleanest of power sources. 

worth checking your event log, power surges can be reported depending on the type of mobo you have.

If your running off a dodgy circuit a UPS may be a sound investment, they power balance quite nicely, and nowadays are not that expensive, if your happy to get a new battery I have a spare UPS somewhere. I would recommend that regardless of crashes if you dont trust the power source.

I remember a while back looking through the event viewer but can't recall if I saw anything there.  

I was considering a UPS but again, never got around to ordering one.  I'll see if the surge protector does the trick, if not I guess I'll pick one up :)

Ahhhh crap.  I did didn't I? :)

Dammit eclipse, look what you've started 

Power lines are not a problem, it's the ground under them that I have problems with :)

Back