What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

PC underperforming?

Lewis Jacobs

Hello there.

Recently, I've bought a new PC. These are my specs:

Ryzen 5 1600X

GTX 1060 6Gb

8Gb 2133Mhz RAM

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Pretty good, I think, however, I think my PC might be underperforming, definitely in Arma.

I've heard of guys who I've been patrolling with that they were getting 30 fps in Arma, whereas I was getting 20. And all that while they have an inferior pc...(Even with a guy whose settings I had copied before we went on patrol)

Is there a possible bottleneck? Which settings are the most intensive? Are there any settings besides the in-game ones that could have an effect on my performance?

Thanks in advance.

You need a better CPU, some kind of intel i5 to i7. Also running the operating system and the main games you play on SSD will help and just use the HDD for mass storage.

How are u getting 20fps with those specs? What resolution u running? Are u running higher sampling (over 100%) or do u have objects view distance very high? Could u screenshot ur ingame settings maybe ? :) would recommend getting a ssd for windows and arma aswell, definatly worth it

How are u getting 20fps with those specs? What resolution u running? Are u running higher sampling (over 100%) or do u have objects view distance very high? Could u screenshot ur ingame settings maybe ? :) would recommend getting a ssd for windows and arma aswell, definatly worth it
Just 1080p, 100% sampling, not sure about my view disance but I'll send you a screenshot when I get home.

I cant get an ssd basically spent my entire budget on this lol

(Oh and btw, those 20fps that I've been talking about, that's Kavala, outside of Kavala my fps is playable however I'd still like to see some more performance)

And for the people that say Ryzen isn't good: I bought this CPU cos its quite future-proof. I wanna keep my pc for more than 3 years, and maybe that's when games start using 6 cores. Also, if needed, I can overclock my CPU if needed in the future (Not gonna do it atm though)

I have the old i5 3570 and a GTX 970 and my game runs completely fine so idk why your PC is underperforming lmao

The single core performance on Ryzen isnt the best and Arma can be very single threaded at times (Kavala) , so ideally you need a CPU that has good single core performance like an i7 6700k + . 

I was thinking the same thing as you when i went from an i5 2500k to an i7 3770, i was getting slightly better fps but no where near to my mate who has an i7 7700k, he was getting double the fps i was getting at any given time.

You're gonna have to deal with the low fps unless you want to pay for a new CPU platform, or maybe try a Ryzen 7 and see if that helps.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you could try overclocking to boost some performance if you have a B350 motherboard or better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The single core performance on Ryzen isnt the best and Arma can be very single threaded at times (Kavala) , so ideally you need a CPU that has good single core performance like an i7 6700k + . 

I was thinking the same thing as you when i went from an i5 2500k to an i7 3770, i was getting slightly better fps but no where near to my mate who has an i7 7700k, he was getting double the fps i was getting at any given time.

You're gonna have to deal with the low fps unless you want to pay for a new CPU platform, or maybe try a Ryzen 7 and see if that helps.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you could try overclocking to boost some performance if you have a B350 motherboard or better.
I'm kinda low on budget, as I've said before, lol

I've looked up some things that could help, and it actually did help for once: My fps didn't really improve, but it did stabilize, which is good enough for me.

And yes, I know Ryzen's single-core performance isn't all that great, but believe me, it is an improvement. I'm coming from a laptop with an i7 3537U xD (2 cores at 2,0GHz). And if I want to stream somewhere in the near future, which is another reason why I chose Ryzen, I've always got a few spare cores to help me out.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my ram isn't that great either. For some reason windows uses 30-40% on its own, and I dont know what I can or can't disable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda low on budget, as I've said before, lol

I've looked up some things that could help, and it actually did help for once: My fps didn't really improve, but it did stabilize, which is good enough for me.

And yes, I know Ryzen's single-core performance isn't all that great, but believe me, it is an improvement. I'm coming from a laptop with an i7 3537U xD (2 cores at 2,0GHz). And if I want to stream somewhere in the near future, which is another reason why I chose Ryzen, I've always got a few spare cores to help me out.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my ram isn't that great either. For some reason windows uses 30-40% on its own, and I dont know what I can or can't disable.
I recently went from 8Gb to 12Gb of RAM, before when i was playing i was maxing out my ram and it would cause fps drops and now with 12 gigs when im playing it uses around 10Gb. I would recommend upgrading to the max you can in your budget as i know that DDR4 prices are really high atm.

I recently went from 8Gb to 12Gb of RAM, before when i was playing i was maxing out my ram and it would cause fps drops and now with 12 gigs when im playing it uses around 10Gb. I would recommend upgrading to the max you can in your budget as i know that DDR4 prices are really high atm.
I'll try to get a new RAM kit ASAP, it might take a while, but for now, I guess I'll just have to make do with 8 Gigs. Thanks for the advice though!

Arma 3 and AMD don't work together.

It's like throwing water on fire. They put each other out. 

Your PC is not under performing, Arma 3 is a terribly unoptimised game, the fact some people need 1.5k PC's to run it kinda shows that. I'm sure if you googled this you'd get the same answer i am giving you now.

I had an Intel i5 4690k and a gtx 960, i get around 30/40fps on this server, other servers i get sometimes higher or lower, depends.

In general if you want the game to run well then get intel, although that's kinda dumb to do as you'd be changing your whole set up for 1 game. 

Back