What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Prison & Punishment System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace J Hunter

Lifetime Donator
Lifetime Donator
The current prison system doesn't deter criminals enough due to 2 reasons. 1. Its far away for police to send people to for a short duration, when they could instead be elsewhere roleplaying. And 2. The length people are being put in prison for/low fines people are currently receiving don't deter criminals enough.

I propose the following system:

• A server controlled duration based on certain crimes with minimums and maximums - Eg. Murder is minimum 1 hour in prison (Then with additional police guidelines though leniency based on the situation at hand)
  • A short term prison sentencing at Sinner Street Eg. Max 20 minutes (For smaller crimes such as dangerous driving)
  • A long term prison sentencing at Bolingbroke Penitentiary with much higher limits of 12/24 hours - Or even permanent as TBJ was talking about staff being able to permakill a character
  • Prison time continues to tick even if you leave the server - This will essentially lock you out of that character for that period of time - It will heavily discourage criminals from baiting police through driving around legion square at high speeds, doing doughnuts and being idiots - because then there will be much more severe consequences for their actions - people will be and should be scared to be arrested by the police - Good criminals are smart and hide from the police - as almost every mafia/crime movies you watch you always know never to mess with the police.
  • A few jobs inside the prison to reduce your sentence - will give an incentive to stay on the server and continue RPing as that character especially if there were other people in prison too - The longer times may also mean increased chance of overlap between prison sentences and may lead to PrisonRP.
  • A prison break system - this should be quite hard and end game - just like a heist in GTA Online. It require thorough planning and preparation with a large group.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, at the moment with the current build of the server it would only promote running/murdering cops and not pulling over and roleplaying with them and there's too much of that as there is. In the future, maybe.

No, at the moment with the current build of the server it would only promote running/murdering cops and not pulling over and roleplaying with them and there's too much of that as there is. In the future, maybe.
Don't see how it would promote any more than there already is. Sure the current state of the server is not perfect. Though we can't keep saying no to things just because they don't fit the current build of the server. It should be that, how the server is built which affects the players, not the other way round. Necessary change should come as soon as possible, rather than waiting for things to cool down. Because it will be the exact same situation as Altis. Waiting for things to get better to implement systems, the situation doesn't get better because it wasn't implemented and then we are stuck in a constant loop.

I'm confused, did you read the post? How would increasing prison times promote more running and murdering cops?

Harsher the punishment = Less crime, or smarter crime.

Right now we have dumbasses running into PD and stabbing cops. We have people doing doughnuts around us yelling "Fucking pigs blah blah" expecting us to confront them with a car chase so they can eventually say "Fuck off or something bad is gonna happen" and then spray us down.

The quality of RP on the server at the moment is absolutely lack luster.

Bait bait bait. And all you get for your (not you) continous baiting is a 30 minute prison sentence. Makes no sense dude.

I'm confused, did you read the post? How would increasing prison times promote more running and murdering cops?

Harsher the punishment = Less crime, or smarter crime.

Right now we have dumbasses running into PD and stabbing cops. We have people doing doughnuts around us yelling "Fucking pigs blah blah" expecting us to confront them with a car chase so they can eventually say "Fuck off or something bad is gonna happen" and then spray us down.

The quality of RP on the server at the moment is absolutely lack luster.

Bait bait bait. And all you get for your (not you) continous baiting is a 30 minute prison sentence. Makes no sense dude.

Because if you act more harshly against people they are less willing to surrender.  Eventually the baiters and the trolls will get banned this is the issue as opposed to the people here for the RP, why should they suffer a 1 hour prison sentence because of actions of other people.  Trust me when I say no one wants to spent that long in jail, there is 0 RP opportunity and as such people will go to further lengths not to get caught.

why should they suffer a 1 hour prison sentence because of actions of other people.
They won't.

If you RDM, VDM, give 0 RP and commit every crime in the book you should 10000% be given a 1 hour prison sentence.

Furthermore light punishments have never detered crime, hence why we have career criminals who have been in and out of prison all their life.

1 hour prison sentences will ONLY be given for the most serious crimes, such as murder. But even that has so many variables such as 1. Good RP quality 2. The situation, maybe he was forced into it? 3. The reason for the murder.

If you accidently kill someone then no, you wouldn't get 1 hour in prison. But if you kill someone because of gang violence, or you kill a cop, then you should be given long sentences as a punishment for taking life.

I hate the saying as it's so cringey, but i am gonna say it "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time". If you don't want to spend 1 hour in prison, then don't do the crime. You should have consequences for your actions. And a 30 minute sentence for murder makes it out that there's so little value on life.

If you speed, evade police, cause a collision and then proceed to swear at us, we still wouldn't, shouldn't give you an hour sentence. But again it depends on the situation.

As mentioned on another post, some communities have perma prison systems, or prison systems that can last up to a week (Maybe longer). And all we are suggesting is 1 hour? Pretty light don't you think?

They won't.

If you RDM, VDM, give 0 RP and commit every crime in the book you should 10000% be given a 1 hour prison sentence.

Furthermore light punishments have never detered crime, hence why we have career criminals who have been in and out of prison all their life.

1 hour prison sentences will ONLY be given for the most serious crimes, such as murder. But even that has so many variables such as 1. Good RP quality 2. The situation, maybe he was forced into it? 3. The reason for the murder.

If you accidently kill someone then no, you wouldn't get 1 hour in prison. But if you kill someone because of gang violence, or you kill a cop, then you should be given long sentences as a punishment for taking life.

I hate the saying as it's so cringey, but i am gonna say it "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time". If you don't want to spend 1 hour in prison, then don't do the crime. You should have consequences for your actions. And a 30 minute sentence for murder makes it out that there's so little value on life.

If you speed, evade police, cause a collision and then proceed to swear at us, we still wouldn't, shouldn't give you an hour sentence. But again it depends on the situation.

As mentioned on another post, some communities have perma prison systems, or prison systems that can last up to a week (Maybe longer). And all we are suggesting is 1 hour? Pretty light don't you think?
It just doesn't sit right with me about the ability for an hour of my life to be taken away.  This is too long, and this system is far too open for abuse, sure you wouldn't hand it out but all it takes is for it to be wrongly used once, by accident or maliciously to ruin someones playing experience.  Let me tell you if I can go to jail for 30 mins, that is more of an incentive however the in game "incentives" not to commit crimes aren't what I make my decisions around, I make these around the RP situation I'm currently in, I don't care what the potential time will be, I'll do it for the RP.  Saying "don't do the crime" sure works in real life, but for those who are trying to RP characters on the wrong side of the law, breaking laws is part of their character identity and while people RDMing etc etc is another story, having one hour long prison sentences unnecessarily targets those following certain RP lines.  

This mistake was already made on Altis. The prison system got heavily abused there and then promoted a massive “I’d rather die fighting than risk prison” mentality. Why should anyone be derived of a whole hour worth of RP opportunities and fun simply because they’re living their RP characters. Would you find it fun having absolutely nothing to do for an hour and losing that game time because you killed someone or something like that? It’s stupid and at such an early developmental stage for this server it would just not fit in at all. I’m not saying it would never work here, I think it could be interesting in the future with proper prison RP, but for now I really do not think it would work well and cause more harm than good.

I get where you're coming from with the whole idea that harsher sentencing would lead to less crime but would it really? It doesn't help that half of the time whenever there actually is serious crime police just ignore it. The amount of times I've been pulled over and fined for running red lights or speeding yet whenever I hear gunshots that are occurring between 2 players I normally just see police ignoring them and not getting involved. The amount of police that have tasers but never use them and just run away from situations makes no sense to me. Why should civilians be more severely punished when half the time police don't even perform their jobs correctly?

I get where you're coming from with the whole idea that harsher sentencing would lead to less crime but would it really? It doesn't help that half of the time whenever there actually is serious crime police just ignore it. The amount of times I've been pulled over and fined for running red lights or speeding yet whenever I hear gunshots that are occurring between 2 players I normally just see police ignoring them and not getting involved. The amount of police that have tasers but never use them and just run away from situations makes no sense to me. Why should civilians be more severely punished when half the time police don't even perform their jobs correctly?
There are currently only 7 officers who can deal with gun crime out of the whole police. Tasers cannot be used against those with guns. As I have said many times before it will slowly fix itself as guns become harder to get and we get more firearms officers to deal with these situations.

It just doesn't sit right with me about the ability for an hour of my life to be taken away.  This is too long, and this system is far too open for abuse, sure you wouldn't hand it out but all it takes is for it to be wrongly used once, by accident or maliciously to ruin someones playing experience.  Let me tell you if I can go to jail for 30 mins, that is more of an incentive however the in game "incentives" not to commit crimes aren't what I make my decisions around, I make these around the RP situation I'm currently in, I don't care what the potential time will be, I'll do it for the RP.  Saying "don't do the crime" sure works in real life, but for those who are trying to RP characters on the wrong side of the law, breaking laws is part of their character identity and while people RDMing etc etc is another story, having one hour long prison sentences unnecessarily targets those following certain RP lines.  
Secondly, it seems that you have missed the main part of this suggestion. It doesn't take an hour of your life away because you don't need to be on the server for the prison time to finish. "Prison time continues to tick even if you leave the server" - It doesn't stop you from either staying on and doing some prison jobs to reduce your sentence or going to play as your secondary character. The whole point of the system is not not be able to be abused as such, though it still makes people fear the police and fear going to prison. There should be consequences for your actions. Not like on Altis where you simply get a 50K fine for murdering someone.

They won't.

You clearly know nothing about what’s currently going on, I won’t even comment on your statement about “career criminals”

Ace, true it wouldn’t promote it more than the current amount but it would be a constant issue afterwards, once the server is more developed people will value their lives more etc etc but will then replace their excuses for murdering cops etc with this feature, trust me on this one. I love your idea and want to see FiveM turn into something realistic with great RP (I’ve really gotten into it) but it’s not the right time 

This mistake was already made on Altis. The prison system got heavily abused there and then promoted a massive “I’d rather die fighting than risk prison” mentality. Why should anyone be derived of a whole hour worth of RP opportunities and fun simply because they’re living their RP characters. Would you find it fun having absolutely nothing to do for an hour and losing that game time because you killed someone or something like that? It’s stupid and at such an early developmental stage for this server it would just not fit in at all. I’m not saying it would never work here, I think it could be interesting in the future with proper prison RP, but for now I really do not think it would work well and cause more harm than good.
I think you make a really good point, and well worded.

In that case then we need to find an equal balance on both sides. If the prison time is too short, it doesn't realistically value the life or time of the player. If it's too long, then it could, as you said bring out the "Fight than risk prison" mentality.

What do you think could be done now to find a common ground? But adding in to the fact that if we got a better prison system, it probably wouldn't be flushed out with tons of jobs ect.

You clearly know nothing about what’s currently going on
Enlighten or educate me, or both, if you want.

I get what you mean 100%. But from first hand experience here's the issue and here's why we ignore certain serious crimes such as firearms.

The majority of the police,as of now are unarmed, i have no idea why. The best equipment a basic frontline officer has is a Taser. Which can't be used to combat firearms as it's totally unrealistic and not valuing our life. We now have to rely on our Armed response units, which are very few compared to the amount of civillians with guns on the server. Also when fire arms are on, they are usually on in 1 bulk group. There's very rarely only 1 or 2 Firearms officers on at a given time.

So when we get a call or report of a firearms incident there's very little we can actually do other than call firearms, if they aren't on, then we can do absolutely nothing but attempt to talk them down and to hand themselves in, which puts us in incredible danger. For me, talking someone down has worked once so far, as people don't want to lose their firearms.

The amount of Officers that i've seen with tasers (We don't just get them at PC, we need to do a training) isn't many, from what i have seen. And again, we need to value our life. If someone is running at us with a machete then we should run and call for backup.
Also from our point of view, it is sometimes better and safer for officers and the general public to allow them to get away and arrest them at a later date, than to get into a 20 minute car chase with countless Civilians ran over and officers killed.

Also on the last of what you said "Why should civilians be more severely punished when half the time police don't even perform their jobs correctly". In RP the law is the law and reguardless of if the police do a good job or bad job, we have to "Uphold it" (Cringey i know).

The server is fairly new, the police is making strides and progress (I think) and things will take time to be as high quality as people want them to be.

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"
Honestly though, why are you penalising people for playing the game as it's intended. You take a roleplay path that isn't family friendly, and you get whacked on by police with an excessive time sentence. Its stupid? Being in prison in altis for 20 minutes isn't fun for a player, so why do people think that an hour prison sentence on GTA is going to be fun? It's a computer game, there's no need for authoritarian mentality of if you do X Y Z, you get 2 hours in jail. 

People need to come up with other punishments that people will recognise as punishments, but don't have to spend an eternity inside prison for. E.g. Halving a character's money when they go to jail. 

Honestly though, why are you penalising people for playing the game as it's intended.
Because it's an RP server, Actions have consequences. I am sorry that you are used to the quality of RP on Atlis life, where everyone gets a gun and you can get fined for shooting someone with a poor excuse. But FiveM should be, and i believe, will be different.

If you want to use you firearm illegally and kill people (For a good dreason) then that's fine. But be prepared to deal with consequences. If not, then why not play normal GTA Online? That way you can talk shit and kill people all day long with minimal words used. People just want a FiveM Altis life, and it's sad that a lot of people don't look further than that. If it's what you're used to then fine.

FiveM provides us with many more opportunities, so i believe more people should be open to suggestions rather than shooting them down like a clay pigeon.

God forbid people actually have to roleplay to a high standard or pay for their actions.

Honestly though, why are you penalising people for playing the game as it's intended. You take a roleplay path that isn't family friendly, and you get whacked on by police with an excessive time sentence
The first part of your reply seems a bit contradictive to me as you are saying cops should not put people in prison for committing crimes but then this would completely contradict how the server is/should be played the point of the server is that cops punish people for committing crimes and criminals will attempt to evade the punishment. Yes, some cops can be a bit excessive with prison times but I believe that if the server is played how it should be being in prison should not inherently be a bad thing there are many interactions you can have from prison gangs etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back