What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Quality of Robbery Roleplay

Brick

Developer
Dev Team
As i'm sure, we have all been robbed in the past, and after a string of god awful robberies, where 0 RP was involved, I've decided to talk about the quality of robbery role-play.

First off, let me say I have no problem at all with robberies as a whole, in fact I believe they do play a vital part in the game, for reason which I will not discuss here.

The rules state: (7.1.4) Killing someone must be carried out with high roleplay, put your hands up or i will shoot etc is considered low RP and may lead to a ban for RDM.

However, that rule does not properly cover the situations that actually happen, and never properly protects anyone being robbed, because they want to value their life, so will be forced to comply. Yes, that rule is more made to cover other sorts of events, but robberies are a big part and should be covered more thoroughly.

Members of registered rebel groups should always withstand a high level of roleplay, since after all this is a roleplay server and should be treated like one. These people represent the general population of criminals of a server, but somewhere along the line their own representation has been lost.

During 1 day, I was robbed 3 times by different rebel groups, and I will now discuss each one, and rate it.

Event 1:

While doing a cider run to pass the time, I was stopped on the road by a group of 3 or 4 masked men who asked me to step out of the truck. Of course I complied and then asked me to drop any weapons, my backpack, my gps. They then asked me for the keys to my truck (which I didn't because I was interrupted due to the next part). This is when by chance a police car drove past. The police were also forced to get out of their car, and were also robbed. During this time I was made to stay on the ground, and after they had robbed the police they moved on, likely through fear of backup.

Rating? 5/10. Average, not much happened and I was given back my stuff and allowed to go on my way. Because of the police the rebels were forced to leave, so not much happened.

Event 2:

I decide to delve into drug dealing for the first time, what could go wrong? Well I get my tempest truck out and after making it to the processor 3 armed men get me to put my hands up. Again, they get me to drop my stuff and give them to keys to my truck. I am then forced to wait for them to process the drugs from MY truck, and after a (very) small engagement with a few policemen which they won, they end up driving off with my truck leaving me in the middle of nowhere. Luckily a medic comes along in his heli to revive a falled police officer, and I get a ride back to town.

Rating? 3/10. I personally beleive it is the robber's job to somehow entertain the person being robbed. Be that even by asking basic questions, such as "how has your day been"?. The last thing someone wants to do is waste 20 minutes waiting for idiots with guns to process their own drugs. Keep in mind, these guys even had a mohawk, which they could have put the processed drugs into, but instead they took the truck (which they dumepd after selling the drugs). Why? who knows.

Event 3:

After a few hours, I decide to try another drug run. Maybe my luck will be better. Nope. This time I meet the guys at the field, but they don't repspond to me and after they finish gathering simply leave for the processor. I end up doing the same. After arriving at the processor they both instantly tell me to put my hands up or be shot. Saying how bad it is I am doing drugs on their island (you know, the usual lame and hypocritical reason) and how they want to stop me doing drugs ever again (which they have succeeded in for the time being). Oh great, not again. Welp, better comply otherwise they will shoot me, and as a person should, they want to live to fight another day. After being zip-tied for good reason, they ask for the keys for my truck. I decide to try and force a bit of roleplay out of them. I say how I would have given them the keys if I hadn't been zipted. "Well tell us where they are". Ok, decent response. I decide to answer with a cheeky "you don't wanna know", but of course he resorts to the whole idiotic "well tell me or i'll have to shoot you", so I just pretend I was able to reach my keys while ziptied. The fact is, if they aren't going to even try to roleplay in the slightest, I'm just going to try and make the process go as fast as possible. What happens after that is just horrible though. Straight away they unzip me to which I am thinking "well, maybe this won't be so boring". They they say that I must drop everything I have (clothes, vest, backpack, nightvision) and simply walk off. This is during the night time, so I am literally forced to just run into pitch black. But hey, they have the guns so they must know what they are doing right? Of course after running a for a few minutes, I just log off.

I decide to make a generalised comment in side chat along the lines of "robberies are so boring these days". Of course the people who robbed me respond with "If you have, a problem come to X lounge on teamspeak". Do I go? of course not. I already know what will happen if i do. Wasting more time listening to them say how they didn't break any rules, blah blah blah.

Rating? 0/10. This is the kind of stuff is what makes people quit. Wasting, in total, at least 30 minutes of my day. The bottom line is simply this: If you are going to rob people, don't waste their time. Give them some fun. Make a joke. SOMETHING to brighten the fact they have just lost 100's of thousands in profit, plus a 250k truck.

Summary/TLDR:

Yes, I know not everyone is bad. Infact, there are tons of great rebels who make the game a lot better, but it feels like that majority is becoming a minority. 

After making your gang a proper rebel group, enforce proper roleplaying so that people don't feel like quitting the server because of how shitty it was. I don't care if you want to rob me, just put some effort in. Is the fact you just robbed 500k+ off someone not enough for you? Is ruining their day also required?

This stuff happens every day, to tons of people, and It shouldn't be allowed to continue in it's current form. It simply ruins the experience.

/ End rant

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're right, and even I've been guilty of poor robbery RP from time to time. I'm going to take what you've posted here and try to improve robberies on my end. 

That being said however, when people don't co-operate, or make it difficult that also ruins the robbers fun. We had a situation last night where there were two guys who refused to put their hands up, or even comply with us. We asked them to comply a whole bunch of times, and gave them a few minutes before we became annoyed at their lack of co-operation and value for life before we decided to kill them. This is obviously an extreme happening and doesn't happen often, however we still have to deal with those who have no value for their lives, and even the odd guy who will try to take on five armed rebels. I rarely rob/kidnap just to loot and kill, but if the RP is poor on the victims side, I'm more likely to execute them in my holy desert, or take all of their stuff instead of some of it. 

My advice is to join a gang. Safety in numbers. 

@Pope Chris unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't value their lives, which tends to put people "on edge" while robbing, where I agree being "mean" (notice the quotes) is fair. I think rule 7.1.4 is one with good intentions, but just gets it wrong.

I guess perspective is always different from the different sides, but the main thing is that people at least try and start a decent RP situation, especially if they are intent on taking more than just the "product". In the end it's just a matter of being reasonable I guess.

Start doing legal stuff, most rebels dont rob legals stuff n more people rp when doing safe legal runs as theyre not paranoid

Like @Sir Liamsaid, rebels often get paranoid during drug robberies because it involves lots of money and they try to organize everything on teamspeak (who you're initiated on, who's gonna process the drugs etc.) this leads to constant chatter in TS and no real room for roleplay. you could mute your sound on ts and talk to the victim that's being robbed. however this often causes gangmates to get irritated, as you're unresponsive and don't know what's going on. What i'm trying to say is that it can be very hard for the robbers as well, however that's no excuse, i'll definitely try to take some more time to talk to people and negotiate etc. even in chaotic situations. The gang pressure i spoke about earlier is also what leads to the "comply or ur ded" roleplay, as people often don't immediately comply if you try to negotiate without threatening lives, so gangmates tell you to just threaten them and hurry up, and if you don't do it fast like they said it can lead to the police showing up or something like that, which understandably gets them a bit irritated. I'm lucky to be in a more roleplay oriented gang, so this shouldn't be as big of an issue for us.

I just mute everyone and sing songs to people I rob, probably why I always end up dying lol funny though.

Pokemon theme song is my current favourite robbery anthem 

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I always carry some money with me(if i get robbed i will go back to ATM straight away to withdraw more money for next robber) and i do solo iron / copper / cider just to get robbed, so the robbers can have their fun, but yeah 90% of robberies have poor RP... like one guy said to me '' put your hands up '' and 1 second after he told me '' SHIFT J '' hahhaa i started laughing actually kinda wanted to give poor bastard even more money, but he just mouse scrolled to rob me and run away, its so funny the guy that was robbing me was way more scared irl than me, u could hear it by his voice.

Than later today, 2 peeps took me hostage and took my truck, i was pretending scared RPed the shit out, while they were just not talking at all and cared only about the pixel money... I dont care if u rob or kill me as long as there is some decent RP going on, i think most ppl are obsessed with numbers and think that killing some1 here is skill. This server is about the RP and not skill and shooting or killing.

So yeah, i also think something should be done with robbing thing

I most likely agree, but in fair case legal jobs are also camped by men of such authority. But yeah try a legal job its less often to happen. I also like to mention back in a gang I was in we use to reward our victims with a gift or item for cooperation. Silly for them to rob your clothes though, a very hobo like activity to do you know?

The quality of roleplay is dropping, people just want to get their money and get out instantly, even if that means they kill you which is sad.

If my gang do rob people we only tend to take a small percentage to stop from ruining their day and discourage them from playing on the server. (also gives us bad rep)

I hope you don't get robbed anymore ;)

My tuppence on your well written post. 

I joined the island back in January and after a few accrued hours of completely having my charactor sodomised, beaten, robbed and more-over verbally abused; I had a complete personality meltdown off line, I was uber angry that not one person I came to, had wanted to RP it ,  I came to RP damn it, they wanted to smash the shit outa me, talk like grown men talk to their worst enemies and shoot like in call of duty. I wanted throw the PC through the bungalow window, kick it like a ball and take anyone of you "RPers" and beat the living heck outa you. 

I was super angry and emotional and thought "the game can do one"; IRL I sit on board meetings, I have an high EQ; I deal with risk, I manage change, my stuff gets reprioritised constantly, my son is disabled, can't walk, can't talk, cannot feed himself; but this game folded me over and ruined my mood for a good while. I was really hurt. 

I finally returned in March. After that self imposed sabatical, I had Decided I wasn't going to be like the short interval players; do it with guns and fireworks and get banned for not being well intentioned individuals. My god YES there's a punishment for that kind of behaviour! 

I lurked on the forums watching the Threads on bans, ideas, suggestions and learnt that shitty RP pissed you all off too??!!

To this point there have been few instances of truly great RP, to be honest the bar is low; but we can admit it, those are how our expectations were met, and it's the bar which has been set, we call that bar the Standard; but those who do RP it do it with integrity and for the purposeful interaction. 

In some respects coining the phrase "going full retard" from Robert Downey Jr. in "tropic thunder" does apply to me, I felt in order to achieve the RP I wanted I needed to push the boat out further. Be the role, the personality your trying to portray.

like most of you now, i can spot a nugget early on, I know I'm still gonna die, and not enough medics around to revive me but I can see them now and I don't mind as much. I know they're here for a short while. They won't affect my long game.

Anyway I digressed; So I came back more EQ'd up and educated since my last venture with an actual plan.

1. Get a job,

2. earn money cleanly,

3. do not get a gun and

4. do not commit a crime.

I started off collecting peaches, till I could afford a taxi licence (priority 1) and I was gonna keep doing that till I could afford a whole fleet of helicopters and have people to fly for me as an air taxi; That was until BA came along. 

I still do not carry a gun, @SectorOnPc;) , I refuse, my RP experience once folks know I don't carry -- goes up +1000 instantly. 

I have not commited a crime against an individual yet, or performed or been part of any robbery.

TBH: My biggest indiscretion has been Clams about a week ago. Seriously.  

You are right about the RP and the robberies, it does need to move up the bar; however I also propose it helps weed out those weaker players and gets them off the island quicker, rather than delaying the inevitable. 

Sorry for for my post being long and well done for making it this far!

I dont rob people alot i only rob the really Geared people and give the clothes to a hobo and keep the gun for my house ;) but i do it in high RP and if they dont comply i give them one last chance and shoot them, but i remember one time when someone said Just Shoot me ingame so i did, but you also get those guys who drop all their gear and have an Invisible Pistol somewere and suddenly turn around and shoot you with 6-7 rebels with 6.5mm minimum caliber

Start doing legal stuff, most rebels dont rob legals stuff n more people rp when doing safe legal runs as theyre not paranoid
You say that but I have encountered several rebels that camp the copper MINE, yes mine. They do the classic "this is a robbery, hands up or die." Then scream at you to hand them the keys. When asking them what there name is they say you don't need my name. It painful, poor role play is the worst and as you said causes people to quit. I just hope that people improve there rp. Perhaps a system that only allows people to buy a firearm license when they answer some rp questions correctly, this was mentioned recently i think. 

You say that but I have encountered several rebels that camp the copper MINE, yes mine. They do the classic "this is a robbery, hands up or die." Then scream at you to hand them the keys. When asking them what there name is they say you don't need my name. It painful, poor role play is the worst and as you said causes people to quit. I just hope that people improve there rp. Perhaps a system that only allows people to buy a firearm license when they answer some rp questions correctly, this was mentioned recently i think. 
Thats called hobo rebels

I agree with the roleplay in robberies arnt as good but I think that some people want to make a robbery quick and simple so maybe rushing it a little might be a good idea as someone like me that is in a gang with alot of members will call for backup and I will stall for sometime to allow my fellow members to help me out, of course this does not mean the roleplay will be crap because if I'm getting robbed I LOVE to pull some strings and have a little fun or just make them feel really bad that they have chosen me to rob so just making it fun is what I love to do because for me I have been robbed many times before and I can say that I would love to be robbed by the same people because the roleplay given was 10/10. No matter who says you need a high level of roleplay there will always be some group of people that take the utter piss (sorry for the language). All I will say is that if I ever bump into you then of course you will feel like you are on a serious roleplay server.

Back