What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Question to all the clever ones

DOGGYFLOP

Hi. 

New to all this and want to get involved. 

My current PC doesn't have the specs i need to run the game. 

I am building a PC with these specs, i am wondering whether these will run the game smoothly? 

Inter Core i5-2300

8GB RAM

Windows 10

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

1TB of storage 

If they dont then what should i upgrade? 

I am a complete novice so any advice is handy :) 

What is your budget? 

What motherboard?

Due to the fact that the CPU isn't all that powerful I'd suggest getting an I5 that is more than 3.1Ghz! Arma is an EXTREMELY CPU intensive game, therefore your GPU isn't so important. Get the highest GHZ CPU you can.

as of tomorrow I'll be running dual GeForce 750TI's so ill tell you how well it is, however for other games I'd suggest getting a 970/980 as I've heard they're pretty much the best value.

your storage is good, but it is deft worth getting a SSD/SSHDD (solid state and hard drive hybrid) of atleast 500GB.

@Zeito you're needed my gorgeous friend.

All this tech talk... 

Okay so, 

Upgrade the CPU? 

Budget wise- £500 to £750. 

If any one knows a decent pre-built one within that price range. I'll take that! Saves me messing around. 

If you wanna go cheap you may wanna consider AMD processors. Although Intel seems to be better in higher end build, where price is important you can usually get more bang for buck with an AMD CPU.

The AMD FX 8350 is about the same price as the i5 and presumably better. 

I would also consider getting a 750ti. A friend of mine uses the AMD FX 8350 and a 750ti and gets decent frames in arma as well as other games. If graphics are important to you I would definitely consider getting a GTX 970 (or better).

As far as getting SSD/SSHDD drives I dont see there being much point if you're going for a budget build. Get yourself a fast 7200RPM HDD. SSD's are luxuries that I dont find to be entirely necessary.

Also, are you building it yourself or using a custom builder website? 

If you wanna go cheap you may wanna consider AMD processors. Although Intel seems to be better in higher end build, where price is important you can usually get more bang for buck with an AMD CPU.

The AMD FX 8350 is about the same price as the i5 and presumably better. 

I would also consider getting a 750ti. A friend of mine uses the AMD FX 8350 and a 750ti and gets decent frames in arma as well as other games. If graphics are important to you I would definitely consider getting a GTX 970 (or better).

As far as getting SSD/SSHDD drives I dont see there being much point if you're going for a budget build. Get yourself a fast 7200RPM HDD. SSD's are luxuries that I dont find to be entirely necessary.

Also, are you building it yourself or using a custom builder website? 
I honestly don't have a clue what you just said.... :( 

I was using a custom build website to do it. 

When it comes to the specs behind a computer. All I know is; i5 is a good processor and 8GB of ram is fairly decent. 

Sorry for being such a tart... Haha

kQkdmeE.png

Haha no problem, I threw a build together for you up there ^

Source: novatech.co.uk

This build gives you a great processor, more than enough ram, plenty of storage and a mid-high end graphics card. It seems to be a very nice computer for the price and it's custom built. It would definitely run arma on mid-high settings at decent FPS and handle most games at high settings.

You could play around to find a case you want and change some options based off opinions. One downside is it doesnt include Windows 10 as Novatech charges £90 for it. You could either buy it from them or buy the disk cheaper and install it yourself, it's very easy.

I'm no tech expert but I was in your position a few months back when I went out for my new build. I have picked up quite a bit on the way though :p

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions. I do believe though that @Zeito is a real bad boy when it comes down to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't have a clue what you just said.... :( 

I was using a custom build website to do it. 

When it comes to the specs behind a computer. All I know is; i5 is a good processor and 8GB of ram is fairly decent. 

Sorry for being such a tart... Haha
It's probably best you buy it from someone that will build it for you, as you clearly would have to take a HUGE learning curve to know how to build it all haha! ( I am no smarty at PC's)

look at 3.4GHZ I5's+ ( I have the 3570K)

Nvidia 750+ is what I'd suggest from NVIDIA (idk other brands)

1TB HDD/ 500GB SHD for storage

A compatible motherboard

A decent aftermarket CPU cooler ( with 'K' CPU's you can over clock them (make them higher than the standard GHZ. Therefore it could go higher) with higher frequency comes higher temperature, so you will need a better CPU cooler)

A decent power supply, 1.5KW+ more than likely I think!

Maybe someone at a PC will go on a website like PC part picker and show you what a decent Arma build would be!:) 

Haha no problem, I threw a build together for you up there ^

Source: novatech.co.uk

This build gives you a great processor, more than enough ram, plenty of storage and a mid-high end graphics card. It seems to be a very nice computer for the price and it's custom built. It would definitely run arma on mid-high settings at decent FPS and handle most games at high settings.

You could play around to find a case you want and change some options based off opinions. One downside is it doesnt include Windows 10 as Novatech charges £90 for it. You could either buy it from them or buy the disk cheaper and install it yourself, it's very easy.

I'm no tech expert but I was in your position a few months back when I went out for my new build. I have picked up quite a bit on the way though :p

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions. I do believe though that @Zeito is a real bad boy when it comes down to this.
Thank you. 

This looks great. 

Windows is easy to install. 

I will have a look at it and get it ordered and hopefully get playing! :) 

Thank you. 

This looks great. 

Windows is easy to install. 

I will have a look at it and get it ordered and hopefully get playing! :) 
Certainly have a look :) 

I wouldn't go ahead and order it too soon. Bare in mind I put this together in a few seconds so maybe get a second opinion and make sure it's what you want. If you do decide to order it, im happy to help and you can look forward to using it :D

Haha

My one purpose in life

and you recommended him a 1.5k PSU which would be insane xD 
I'm slightly drunk. I don't really know what I'm talking about and 1.5KW sounded fine as my portable charger for my phone is 5KW!

I'm slightly drunk. I don't really know what I'm talking about and 1.5KW sounded fine as my portable charger for my phone is 5KW!
idek

I use a 750w PSU (thats half of what you're suggesting Sir Drinkalot) and I have slightly more powerful components (980ti, i7 4790k etc etc all that shit right ya got it) so I doubt Mr. Flop will need more than 600w

idek

I use a 750w PSU (half that) and I have slightly more powerful components (980ti, i7 4790k etc etc all that shit right ya got it) so I doubt Mr. Flop will need more than 600w
No fucking clue

Ill still only call you Hatch though!

idek

I use a 750w PSU (thats half of what you're suggesting Sir Drinkalot) and I have slightly more powerful components (980ti, i7 4790k etc etc all that shit right ya got it) so I doubt Mr. Flop will need more than 600w
Mr. Flop - I like it ;) Haha!

@Haywire@Samatlewiss

Is this good or bad.... 

I was thinking... buying it and upgrading certain parts that need it. Its only £390 so leaves a large chunk to upgrade? 

SpecificationProcessorProcessorAMD Athlon X4 860KProcessor Cores4Processor Speed4.3 GHz OverclockedGraphicsGraphics CardAMD Radeon R7 240Graphics Memory2GBDrivesHard Drive1TB SATA3 6GbpsOptical Drive24x DVD/CD RewriterNetworkingWired LAN10/100/1000 Mbps LANWireless LAN (WiFi)300Mbps Super-fast WifiOther SpecificationsOperating SystemNo Operating System (Click here to add Windows 7 or 8)Video OutputsVGA (D-Sub), DVI-D, HDMIMemory16GBPower Supply500WCaseCit Vanquish RedMotherboardGigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 
- HD Audio
- 1x PCI Express x16, 1x PCI Express x1, 1x PCI
- 4x back USB 2.0 ports
- 2x back USB 3.0 portsDual MonitorYesWhat's Included2 Year Warranty (Parts and Labour)
All relevant driver discs and manuals
Power cable

Screenshot_2015-12-26-00-39-00.png

@Haywire@Samatlewiss

Is this good or bad.... 

I was thinking... buying it and upgrading certain parts that need it. Its only £390 so leaves a large chunk to upgrade? 

SpecificationProcessorProcessorAMD Athlon X4 860KProcessor Cores4Processor Speed4.3 GHz OverclockedGraphicsGraphics CardAMD Radeon R7 240Graphics Memory2GBDrivesHard Drive1TB SATA3 6GbpsOptical Drive24x DVD/CD RewriterNetworkingWired LAN10/100/1000 Mbps LANWireless LAN (WiFi)300Mbps Super-fast WifiOther SpecificationsOperating SystemNo Operating System (Click here to add Windows 7 or 8)Video OutputsVGA (D-Sub), DVI-D, HDMIMemory16GBPower Supply500WCaseCit Vanquish RedMotherboardGigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 
- HD Audio
- 1x PCI Express x16, 1x PCI Express x1, 1x PCI
- 4x back USB 2.0 ports
- 2x back USB 3.0 portsDual MonitorYesWhat's Included2 Year Warranty (Parts and Labour)
All relevant driver discs and manuals
Power cable

View attachment 1499
Those specs will meet the MINIMUM requirements to play arma 3 and likely other games. I don't think that will keep you happy though. Arma 3 is intense on the CPU (meaning the better your processor, the better your frames) so I would suggest getting a better processor at least. This is the one arma lists under recommended requirements:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-HDZ940XCGIBOX-Phenom-Quad-core-Processor/dp/B001NFT2RI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451092179&sr=8-1&keywords=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+940

That graphics card seems to be a bit cheap as well. My previous computer ran a GTX 650 and i3-3200 which is pretty similar to what you're going through and I can tell you arma 3 was a nightmare. On most multiplayer servers I ran at 20FPS on low settings..when I look back on it it was horrible.

It looks like you're buying from ebay. New computers are always better than used for many reasons, so I would avoid that.

Also, if you plan on upgrading that will mean buying a more expensive card / processor and if you dont know how to fit it yourself that will also add the price of taking it to a computer repair / hardware store. Ultimately, it will end up costing you much more money in the long run.

Summary:

It'll work and it would make a good budget computer but if you're expecting a lot from arma then I would strongly advise spending more money on your build. I reckon you would be able to run arma and you would probably handle less intensive games just fine but you may experience problems. 

Note: I dont know a whole lot about AMD other than the fact they're a better option over intel for cheaper builds. I'm doing some research into them as I wrote this ^^

Back