What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Questions related to low FPS in ARMA III

Ronald Strauss

Good afternoon, AltisLife.co.uk community!

Recently I really started to annoy myself about the low FPS by system is getting while playing Arma III, I would like to improve my experience however don't wanna bother investing to much money.

System specifications:

1. CPU:   Intel i7 3770k processor, which is currently running on factory settings.
  2. Videocard:    (MSI) GTX 980 GAMING 4G
  3. Motherboard:    ASUS P8Z77- pro
  4. Monitors:  2x  4K resolution (U28D590D - Samsung UHD 28”)
  5. Memory:   24GB
  6. Storage:

SSD (128 GB)  mainly used for windows related programs.
  7. SSD (500GB) mainly used for game related programs.
  8. HDD (1TB) mainly used for other random crap.

The issue

1. Currently running on lower settings because of the FPS issues. 20-30 FPS in Kavala and 35-45 FPS while driving in open area's. (I heard that certain people are running the game with 50 FPS in Kavala, and 80/90 FPS in open area's)
  2. I have no experience with overclocking a CPU, tried it about two weeks ago however got a blue screen and decided to set it back to factory settings. I've also done some research on maybe upgrading my CPU, however a lot of people told me that it was a waste of money. Seeing there is barely any benchmark difference between the latest serie and my older 3770k.

Solution?

1. I though about upgrading my system with a second GTX 980 to assist my first videocard to process the 4K footage.
  2. Besides that I was thinking about contacting a local computer store to ask them if they are able to overclock my CPU to the max. (It's being cooled by a corsair H100)

If anyone has some solutions or suggestions on how to improve my FPS, I would appreciate it! Looking forward to receive replies.

Kind Regards,

Ronald Strauss

Last edited by a moderator:
Arma doesn't support SLI, so that's out of the window

But if both your monitors are on 4K resolution, as well as if you're trying to run arma in 4K, that would probably be why.

Try to run the game at 1440p, that's where the 980 performs the best, from what I have seen.

Arma 3 is famous for it's shit FPS as it but if you're trying to run it on 4k on a single 980 that will kill it.

As the guy above said, change it to 1080 or 1440p and see if that makes a difference.

I run a single 980ti on 1080p and my FPS isn't great either (30-40fps in high activity areas and 50-70 elsewhere)

Yeah even with 1x 4k screen, that's pushing (roughly) 4x the detail than at 1080p. If you're using 2x of the screens, that's a bigger demand even  still. Arma is a CPU-bound game, and a better GPU doesnt always bring bigger FPSs like in other titles.

There is also the question of how you have the 4k screens connected. It MUST be on DisplayPort to achieve over 30Hz i believe. A single 980 on 1 4k screen would be hard-presed to push out 60fps solid in a game, for example my friend has a 980 4gb card and a whopping lovely 4k screen and we tried Far Cry 4 (granted a much more graphically stunning and demanding game) but it CHURNED. I cant imagine a single 980 pushing 4k to both displays.

Over clocking your 3770k is a piece of cake, in your bios you will see something like CPU Multipler: 30 (if it was running at 3.0Ghz) if you make that 30, 35 it runs at 3.5, 38 = 3.8 etc. that's the general idea on a 'K' series processor.

Best solution for your problem: Check how monitors are connected to 980, lower your resolution to 1400p and see how that runs.

Thank you for the quick replies!

@crazyone

1. Monitor I   -   Is being used for displaying the actual game.
  2. Monitor II  -   Is being used for programs such as Teamspeak 3, Steam chat and other programs that I wanna monitor.
  3. I've tried running the game on 1440p, however the game looked different, almost kinda blurry in some way. Maybe I just need to adjust myself to the new resolution though.
  4. After running it on 1440p I didn't really noticed the FPS increase. Checked several times with the 'Ingame' FPS counter which you are able to see if you go to the video settings of Arma.  It only increased it with 3 FPS and sometimes even got lower FPS while having it on 1440p. (Which is weird)
@Zeito

1. I basically bought these 4K monitors because I'm also a Designer. I like having the sharp resolution, however apparently it's demanding a lot of GPU power. The issues is that I sadly bought these monitors (Which are 500 euro's each)  They are dependently worth it for the Design aspect. However they might be to demanding for gaming. I think the MSI GTX980 4GB has three 1.2 displayports. Both are connected to those 1.2 displayports.
  2. Would a second GTX980 improve performance, or is that a waste of money?
  3. (Overclocking) I've tried overclocking once, however I got a blue screen and turned it back to normal. How far can you push it? How much stress can the I7 3770k handle?
Looking forward to receive a reply!  Thanks for the help so far!

Kind Regards,

Ronald Strauss

SLI is what NVIDIA uses for multiple GPU's, so adding a second GPU wont benefit in a game like Arma

Thank you for the quick replies!

@crazyone

1. Monitor I   -   Is being used for displaying the actual game.
  2. Monitor II  -   Is being used for programs such as Teamspeak 3, Steam chat and other programs that I wanna monitor.
  3. I've tried running the game on 1440p, however the game looked different, almost kinda blurry in some way. Maybe I just need to adjust myself to the new resolution though.
  4. After running it on 1440p I didn't really noticed the FPS increase. Checked several times with the 'Ingame' FPS counter which you are able to see if you go to the video settings of Arma.  It only increased it with 3 FPS and sometimes even got lower FPS while having it on 1440p. (Which is weird)
@Zeito

1. I basically bought these 4K monitors because I'm also a Designer. I like having the sharp resolution, however apparently it's demanding a lot of GPU power. The issues is that I sadly bought these monitors (Which are 500 euro's each)  They are dependently worth it for the Design aspect. However they might be to demanding for gaming. I think the MSI GTX980 4GB has three 1.2 displayports. Both are connected to those 1.2 displayports.
  2. Would a second GTX980 improve performance, or is that a waste of money?
  3. (Overclocking) I've tried overclocking once, however I got a blue screen and turned it back to normal. How far can you push it? How much stress can the I7 3770k handle?
Looking forward to receive a reply!  Thanks for the help so far!

Kind Regards,

Ronald Strauss
For designing if it's graphical you'll probably be fine, another GPU will help as they'll split the load - gaming wise it's only if SLI is supported, which ARMA doesn't support unfortunately. Really want you'd want is 2x 980TIs, but they're as expensive as the screens.

Overclocking wise, it depends on things like your cooling. Have a look at what your Core Ratio Multiplier is at the moment, and put it up in small increments. From the look of intel ARK, it's a 3.5GHz cpu that boosts to 3.9, so your multiplier is probably 35-39. You could probably set it to 40, it'll run hotter - so you'd need a good cooler. If you're using the one that came with it, the cpu will probably get very hot so i wouldnt do it.

@Zeito

1. After having these 4K monitors for over a year, I'm slowly but surely starting to regret that I actually bought two of those. Maybe I was better of with a 1440p monitor which is running on 144 Hertz and G-sync. I might try and put them up for sell, however I'm not certain about it anymore. Because 1440p on a 4K monitor just looked blurry to me. Because I recently started using my MacBook Pro for the graphical work. Meaning I'm using this computer mainly for Gaming.
  2. (Overclocking)  Alright, The CPU should be fine though it's being cooled by a Corsair H100 (Closed-system Watercooler) I might try that in the future. However the BIOS of the ASUS P8Z77-v pro isn't that great.

Simple suggestion here - Have you tried loading optimised settings using GeForce Experience?

Might be worth a shot

@ojbristow

Thanks! The FPS increased with about 5 FPS. I've done some research the last view days. The 4K resolution is one of the reasons that I'm getting low FPS on Arma III, I've tried other suggestions in this thread by switching it to 1080p or 1440p. I noticed that my screen was blurry when it wasn't on 4K resolution. Done some reason on the internet about this issue and that is normal apparently. I'll start overclocking my CPU in the next week and hopefully that is also going to give me a small FPS increase. Again thanks for your suggestion! 

@Legend

I've tried that already after someone on teamspeak told me about that option. However didn't notice a FPS increase though.  Thank anyway.

Good stuff, when you do overclock make sure you keep a close eye on temps.

Back