What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Repair kits are OP, so lets make them realistic

• Thread starter Anonymous Aardvark
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous Aardvark

Some background:

I have been playing as a mechanic (REMOVED, Rank: 4) for about 60-65 hours, and I enjoy responding to calls. I've run civilian and police jobs for a while, and still do on slow nights. Mostly though I enjoy the RP of responding to a dispatch, however those are few and far between, especially on slow nights. I was on duty from 18:00 to 2am, and got 3 or 4 dispatches. When you consider how people drive in the city, this makes no sense, right? And here is the reason.. Repair kits. They are far too cheap for what they do, and everyone can use them regardless of them being a mechanic or not. So everyone carries 2-3 repair kits, and just fixes their car whenever it becomes too destroyed. Within 20-30 seconds the car is back to pristine condition, at a cost of anywhere from £230-£480. Take that some car to LS Customs or any other repair shop, and you're looking at thousands of £ in repair bill for even a moderate amount of damage (I've tried). It's game breaking, and not even a little realistic.

Just so we're on the same page. In GTA V, cars have a couple of breakdown scenarios.

1. Overheating - white smoke.
  2. Mechanical breakdown - Black smoke.
  3. Exploded - Fire and smoke

Beyond that, tires can blow out, windows break and the bodywork can drop off.

Repair kit prices are what they are, and I understand that to some extent we want it to be available to the public. But not everyone is a mechanical genius (especially me IRL), so not everyone should be able to deal with all of the above scenarios unless they've had training.

My suggestions:

1. Repair kits should continue to be usable by all, but chance of a successful repair should be based on mechanic level. An example system could look like: 

• 0 level mechanic has a 5% chance of a successful repair, and always consumes the repair kit.
    • 1 level mechanic has a 15% chance of a successful repair, and sometimes consumes the repair kit.
    • 2 level mechanic has a 35% chance of a successful repair, and sometimes consumes the repair kit.
    • 3 level mechanic has a 65% chance of a successful repair, and sometimes consumes the repair kit.
    • 4 level mechanic has a 95% chance of a successful repair, and sometimes consumes the repair kit.
  2. Repair kits should only make the car functional (clear breakdown status, engine to 10-15% status), not fully repaired. To fully repair, a visit to the shop is needed.
  3. Repair kits should not fix body work. If we want an item that does that in the game, it should be a body work kit, something I would love to see.

Pros:

• Adds more realism.
  • Creates a money sink for the game (repair shop + repair kits)
  • Adds more opportunities for roleplay.
  • Makes the mechanic job more than simply hauling civ and police impounds for money.
  • Gives players a reason to drive more carefully, rather than the death defying head-on collisions I see every day (Value life, not so much)

Con's:

• If no mechanic's are available, you're screwed. Much like real life.
  • Possible more players will flock to the mechanic job, to avoid having to deal with the new system (also known as Meta gaming: 3.1)

Final thoughts:

I like the idea of adding more realism, and creating more RP scenarios. I realize the dev team is volunteer, and that implementing changes like this probably isn't as easy as writing up the suggestion. I appreciate any feedback and naturally I'm open to elaborating if needed.

EDIT: Found this mod for ESX Legacy, may be something to use for inspiration. https://forum.cfx.re/t/fork-esx-engine-repair-kit-tyre-kit-esx-repairkit-v3-2/1133523

Last edited:
+1 

There is always mechanics around too.

If this was implemented, people would drive more realistic and less every single person is an F1 driver...thank god

I think there would need to be a secondary impound lot due to how many people will be clocked in and being a mechanic...don't want a delivery hub or taxi hub mess like we've seen in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 

If this was implemented I think that cars would have to break down less in all honesty. It seems even if you're driving well and hit the smallest things your car still breaks down. Especially the case with bikes.

Seems like it could cause me a slight inconvenience 
Can you elaborate on that? I want to be sure I understand what the nature of the inconvenience is, and see if we can't find a solution 🙂 

As I understand it, PD and NHS has repair available at various locations - one solution could be to either make it available at a massive discount, or even free at those locations. Only for official vehicles though.

Not everything is built to be completely realistic, some things should still remain as it is, as it's a game, if people would want realistic struggles of life, they'd go work double shifts and not sit at home playing video games.

Now, it's not that I completely disagree, repair kits are cheap and accessible for everybody, which in my opinion could be a bit more expensive and would actually change the way people drive and be more careful, but then again, cars do break quite easily, even after having their "armor" upgraded, so not having repair kits work the way they do right now is going to cause a huge issue considering sometimes (most of the time) it's completely out of our hands if a vehicle breaks down, for example, hit 2 stop signs and your engine is already smoking.

It is weird however how going to a repair shop is more expensive than using repair kit, so could be adjusted.

This is my opinion anyways.

Not everything is built to be completely realistic, some things should still remain as it is, as it's a game, if people would want realistic struggles of life, they'd go work double shifts and not sit at home playing video games.
I completely agree that it should not be like working double shifts, but I want to point out that it is a roleplay server so some realism I think is fine. If they wanted the regular GTA experience, there are plenty of servers that cater to that, and I spend time on those myself every once in a while.

Now, it's not that I completely disagree, repair kits are cheap and accessible for everybody, which in my opinion could be a bit more expensive and would actually change the way people drive and be more careful, but then again, cars do break quite easily, even after having their "armor" upgraded, so not having repair kits work the way they do right now is going to cause a huge issue considering sometimes (most of the time) it's completely out of our hands if a vehicle breaks down, for example, hit 2 stop signs and your engine is already smoking.
I've been in the game for a while now, and I actually drive legally for 90% of the time (red lights are a pain in the city, so I run through those after waiting for them to change for 3-4 minutes) and I have yet to run into the easy break down you're describing. I would argue it has something to do with driving style and skill. I'm not looking for everyone to follow the letter of the law, but if you're doing 100mph round Elgin Ave or Sinner, your car going flying over curbs and hills, your car should suffer the consequences for it. What I'm looking for is a balance where there is a reason to not go 100-120mph all the time where ever you go,  because as things are, that's just not the case. G2.4 clearly states to value life, and the way people are driving I don't see that happening. The amount of RVDM going on can - in my opinion - be correlated with how little people care about the speeds they go at. So this suggestion aims to try and get people to at least think about the cost of repairs, when driving around.

Random break downs do happen in real life, and when they happen on the servers I humbly suggest people should roleplay it out. There is a balance to find here, and the original post contains an example of the suggested system, not the final version.

Increasing repair kits seems unfeasible to me, and does not add to the RP. For economic comparison a bottle of water is £1 in the real world, and £100 on the server. That would mean repair kits should be 23000-48000 (100x).. this price would kill of any RP, because mechanics would simply not carry the kits and people would not be able to afford getting a mechanic. That's why a system of having to make multiple attempts with repair kits (using multiple kits) but keeping the prices at same or 2x levels would make more sense IMO.

This is my opinion anyways.
I respect your opinion, and I am happy you shared it. I don't agree, but I value the input. Participation in discussions like these means we can make solutions and compromises that keep the game fun for everyone!

I think that this idea is good, as it actually gives people a reason to RP, rather than for people to just grind for money, as currently there is no real reason for people to RP, people have to purposefully look for it. I think though that car would then need to be buffed a bit in the amount of damage they can take as rn they act like they are made of paper mache.

Seems like it could cause me a slight inconvenience 
(G5.2) Believable Character Roles - If you wish to roleplay as a lawyer, it may not be realistic that you will repair your car at the roadside...

Michael Kourse be breaking this rule whenever he gets into a car 👀 😆

Seriously though, this rule hasn't been addressed or promoted enough. I'd like to see a feature that helps this.

+1 

Although this skill level system should apply even when not clocked on duty as a mechanic.

What you'd see is:

1) People grinding the mechanic job for the first few weeks just so they can go back to how it was before which is being able to repair the cars by themselves.
2) Once everybody has the mechanic job maxed out, repair kits would not change in price at all since demand would be exact same as it was before.
3) People who might get more RP would be the guys that already have the profession maxed out but only for the first few weeks. Once everybody has it maxed it will be like before. 
4) If implemented, all you'd see in fact is people ONLY doing the civ jobs to level up the profession. 

I'm not disagreeing with the idea in general because it's something I wrote about before too. 

It sucks how cars break down, can't lie, 2 hits and you're out. It doesn't impact the people driving around the city breaking limits, they can just repair it and be on the way with no consequences. However it impacts racers and people is chases more. They're sometimes over before they even start because of NPCs spawning or server scuff. Even though it's realistic it's not fun. Better drivers don't get rewarded as all it takes is one unlucky moment, they should be rewarded for consistency, not luck. 

I like the idea of the car not being fully repaired but for that to work, vehicles need more health. I'd be happy to bring the broken car into the mechanics to get it fixed up fully for extra money. When people dump their car in the water they have to wait until server to get it back. If people agree with that, I'm sure they would be no problem waiting for one of the mechanics to be online so they can bring it down and get it looked at. Forcing them to use a different car until the next day, which is also fine by me. 

One of the shops main income is repair kits. People would only need one kit to partially repair the car (potentially 2 if they break the second car also) so they can either store it or bring it to the mechanics. This would hit the shops profits really hard. It would have to be monitored by the devs so they can accordingly adjust the prices as time progresses when they gather sufficient information. 

+1

Amazing Suggestion and I don’t think there’s much more to add to what was mentioned. It would be amazing to have this in game as it does add that extra of realism and could even could more roleplay opportunities for the people who actually roleplay. I especially like the bit where it doesn’t fully repair the vehicle so to would be necessary to go to a shop.

Great suggestion, hope it goes through. 

Hello 
I'm not playing GTA atm, but I'm just here to inform you that waaay back when i made the suggestion on Auto Exotic, we had a whole area and talk regarding this specific topic. it was presented to multiple dev's and staff and they are well aware of the wish many of us have about the kit's  🙂 
im pretty sure they have not forgotten about this subject.. so keep it up guys and pray a bit harder, maybe one day you will get it in ❤️ 

Much love Nadine. 

New Repair Kit System Implemented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back