What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Robbery Rule Change + Respawn with items

Thud

Unlinked
Gonna be a controversial one this but I've seen it in practice on many major, successful RP communities in FiveM and RedM. It works.

My suggestion is simple, but the effect is massive on the collective mindset of the playerbase and people's approach to RP.

Brief Summary:

First off the rule change -

If you or your group rob somebody, you may not kill them in the same scenario.

And then the game mechanic change -

When you are downed and the timer runs out, and you hold E to bleed out and respawn...

You respawn at a hospital on the other side of the map, and keep all the items in your inventory at the time of going down.

Detailed Suggestion:

Just to preface, I in no way think this is a realistic addition to the server.

I feel like it's a game balance change that will encourage players to be more open to the possibility of losing, and to make your time on the server more rewarding. Everybody here knows how long it takes to make a significant enough amount of money to purchase something meaningful to your character, like a car, a house, or a firearm. This change would mean that the real time investment that we the players put into the server would be more valued, and characters would not need to stockpile weapons like they are trying to arm a militia.

Newer, poorer players would be less "put off" after a bad situation where they may be robbed (and usually killed) or get killed with poor RP and lose everything they have worked for, but are too poor to store away.

I also think that with weapon durability and expiry dates, with some balance tweaks, this would be an effective way to not only encourage people to only purchase what they need for their character, instead of trying to prepare for a big "war" that seems to be commonplace in the UK in this version of the world, but also better for police and tracking longstanding firearms that are passed between people or involved in multiple incidents, opening RP for CID = instead of most guns being used once or twice and ending up in "the void".

Initially, there would be instances where there seems to be too many guns around as everyone empties the cobwebs and starts to use what they have collected over their characters time on the server. While the resulting sitautions would be a bit hectic, I think it would be a shortlived flash in the pan before police and durabilities hoovered up most of the guns around. Then the supply of guns can be staff controlled once more (as it always has been in a kinda way).

With the rule change around robbing, I would expect that there would be more intricate roleplay stories created beyond: "We showed up and killed them all" that would lead to richer opportunities for everybody involved, for grudges to form naturally, evidence trails to be built for police to act on and people would generally be happier with the idea of "losing". This is because keeping your items, (or your life) mean that you can take the L and get back to roleplaying, rather than grinding for hours to be able to afford to replace what was lost.

Not everybody has the free time required to grind the mind numbing activities that are available to make a pittance, acquire extreme wealth and fund endless guns, to overwhelm any opponents in war and call it "Roleplay".

The servers I have played on that have this system in place are not lawless redzones all over the place. Quite the opposite. Because the cost of "losing" isn't so extreme, people enjoy the ups and the downs in their characters story, and don't feel like they've wasted their time for it all to be thrown away in an instant.

The Pros: 

• Player's time is valued
  • Character progression is not reverted without roleplay
  • Richer roleplay opportunities for police to track longstanding guns
  • Players are not as demotivated to play the server due to feeling like wasting time
  • After being killed, and then robbed at a dodgy doctor, rules now state you may not kill them after the robbery. This leads to longer lived storylines and less ad-hoc conflicts.
  • Players over time will stockpile less guns

The Cons:

• People may be more incentivized to carry guns as the risk of losing them is effectively lowered
  • Will likely lead to a few NVL reports where people try to shoot their robbers after their life is spared
  • Some players may abuse this mechanic and bleed out while in police/medical custody in an attempt to save their items. (This would fall under combat logging)

Does this suggestion change balance on the server ?

Massively. It's a big change, but I've seen this system and it's commonplace in successful communities. It really does feel like your time is more valued.

Let me know what you think 🙂

This would be a great addition to the server. The only issue i would see is more people NVL'ing in the hopes to get shot / stabbed just to respawn with their items instead of playing along with the robbery RP.

This would be a great addition to the server. The only issue i would see is more people NVL'ing in the hopes to get shot / stabbed just to respawn with their items instead of playing along with the robbery RP.
Yep, I see that too.

I think having dodgy doctors allow for this to be resolved in character, but I get it can be tricky if police turn up fast - at least in that instance they would likely be searched and lose their weapons to police anyway.

I think this might encourage NVLing more. People might intentionally try to get shot rather than drop their gun so that they can respawn with their inventory, and I don't think the whole 'win mentality' aspect can be fixed with something like a rule change, that said I do think this suggestion has some merit and should be further discussed alongside possible alternative solutions.

I think this might encourage NVLing more. People might intentionally try to get shot rather than drop their gun so that they can respawn with their inventory, and I don't think the whole 'win mentality' aspect can be fixed with something like a rule change, that said I do think this suggestion has some merit and should be further discussed alongside possible alternative solutions.
Yeah I agree, I would hope that with enough reports and people seeing that losing isn't the end, the meta would shift to go with the flow more.

Personally, let me start off by saying I think the whole not killing someone you've robbed is a potentially a good idea. However, on the flip side to that - it does restrict certain peoples style of RP, and could potentially discourage some decent possible story arcs.

The keeping items when you die though - I don't think makes any sense - and il give you my reasoning. There is the penalty of losing items AND memory when 'dying' or being killed off, which allows you to genuinely RP for your life, memories and possessions. This is a major part of all RP. If you were to keep your possessions, then why not your memories, and if you keep your memories then what is the point of being 'killed off' at all? May as well scrap the economy and have a spawn menu.

My next point is, this is an RP server - possessions are just props you can use to create RP. You may have to grind to get them etc but that's the price you pay for decent props I suppose. The 'grind' also helps keep balance in the server - last thing you want is a group of baldies 5 deep running around capping people at will with machine guns and zero backstory or reputation on their first day.

I have to say my personal opinion is that although you've made some decent suggestions, I think it would upset the balance and actually end up discouraging some pretty decent roleplay if this were to be implemented. -1

I agree the server needs to have a change, the rp currently is dogshite. the problem is guns have such a high value in terms of peoples real life time of having to do shit grinds for money that they will try everything to not lose it. There are countless reports from people who have been on server for ages NVLing or doing whatever to try save their gun because it they have been sat grinding for it for hours, and you can't blame them because the meta for getting guns is shit. 

This is idea is good because you would hope people would want to rp more considering there is less to lose. However, I do think there should be a consequence for death as you will get some ego gang freaks who are only here to shoot and will just bleed out to try keep their gun. Maybe some sort of RNG of losing stuff in your inventory on death might make this idea a bit better to keep consequences of death.

Server either needs an idea like this or completely change how people get guns or fix the economy. If your in a gang you shouldn't be having to grind for hours to get a gun, should be more rp to the whole process rather than suck off the lost for months.

I completely agree with the no kill when robbing. dumping people to remove risk of any further rp is so fucking boring and cringe. As someone who gets dumped multiple times every time im on the server, I can confirm its boring af.

tldr: +1 good idea, add rng to death if this gets added. dumping is cringe, sort guns out

Personally, let me start off by saying I think the whole not killing someone you've robbed is a potentially a good idea. However, on the flip side to that - it does restrict certain peoples style of RP, and could potentially discourage some decent possible story arcs.

The keeping items when you die though - I don't think makes any sense - and il give you my reasoning. There is the penalty of losing items AND memory when 'dying' or being killed off, which allows you to genuinely RP for your life, memories and possessions. This is a major part of all RP. If you were to keep your possessions, then why not your memories, and if you keep your memories then what is the point of being 'killed off' at all? May as well scrap the economy and have a spawn menu.

My next point is, this is an RP server - possessions are just props you can use to create RP. You may have to grind to get them etc but that's the price you pay for decent props I suppose. The 'grind' also helps keep balance in the server - last thing you want is a group of baldies 5 deep running around capping people at will with machine guns and zero backstory or reputation on their first day.

I have to say my personal opinion is that although you've made some decent suggestions, I think it would upset the balance and actually end up discouraging some pretty decent roleplay if this were to be implemented. -1
I do agree with the argument that if you respawn you should be at a new start, and its a fair point to make. On other servers this is generally RP'd around as if when you "die" you don't die for real but have a critical injury, get saved by locals and therefore brought to a doctor with your stuff. The extent of the injuries dictate you have no memory of the events that directly lead up to your death (or 15 min before if no major rp sequence).

If there's systems at the doctor to lose items on a chance basis like there is when being admitted regularly, do you think that would be a better way of handling it?

I would also expect for development of the server to be geared towards well intentioned players that are here to roleplay, and not to make everyone suffer for baldies that will be banned in no time for something anyway. You mention machine guns on their first day - that would be the result of somebody choosing to supply them with guns, rather than them spawning with them, no?

Grind is shite and until there's more engaging jobs to do I don't feel it's unreasonable for the real time investment required to RP with guns to be lowered. I'd rather spend my time roleplaying than breaking my wrist trying to sell to locals.

I agree the server needs to have a change, the rp currently is dogshite. the problem is guns have such a high value in terms of peoples real life time of having to do shit grinds for money that they will try everything to not lose it. There are countless reports from people who have been on server for ages NVLing or doing whatever to try save their gun because it they have been sat grinding for it for hours, and you can't blame them because the meta for getting guns is shit. 

This is idea is good because you would hope people would want to rp more considering there is less to lose. However, I do think there should be a consequence for death as you will get some ego gang freaks who are only here to shoot and will just bleed out to try keep their gun. Maybe some sort of RNG of losing stuff in your inventory on death might make this idea a bit better to keep consequences of death.

Server either needs an idea like this or completely change how people get guns or fix the economy. If your in a gang you shouldn't be having to grind for hours to get a gun, should be more rp to the whole process rather than suck off the lost for months.

I completely agree with the no kill when robbing. dumping people to remove risk of any further rp is so fucking boring and cringe. As someone who gets dumped multiple times every time im on the server, I can confirm its boring af.

tldr: +1 good idea, add rng to death if this gets added. dumping is cringe, sort guns out
Thanks for the comment, I agree, odds like that are in place when you are regularly admitted to hospital could be a decent balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The no rob and kill in the same one I do like it just because it's a shame when someone robs you to then kill you to stop any other repercussions

The respawn with items, the only time I have ever seen this work was when it was setup so that it only happened if there were no NHS on duty, but to make it even you have to change the timers so instead of a 10 and a 15 you'd have to make them both 15 and then it's luck if you keep them or not

Back