What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

S165 of Road Traffic Act Legislation - To be scrapped(no fun in RP for crims to be pulled over by cops for no reason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PERMED ACCOUNT

It came to my attention today that cops in RP just like irl can pull you over even if you have committed no offence. This is a game and even though i understand its a serious RP sever pulling people over randomly for no reason to have a chit chat coz of S165 of RTA(driving a motor vehicle on the road) you HAVE to comply and if u don't u end with a conviction(some people don't like the police and want to rp with the police in other ways XD).  Just coz of a piece of legislation its not real life and i don't see the enjoyment in my crim character being pulled over when she hates police.

Positives:

Characters can RP and have fun without being harassed from the cops and instead RP when they actually have done something wrong.

Negatives:

Police cant pull over people as much as they wish and even though irl it is a law scrapping it would not be realistic to some cops in the server so there might be a few disheartened cops

S165 only allows Police to ask for your name and address? For confirming ID and insurance reasons etc...

Oh no, imagine having to 'chit chat' to someone on a roleplay server. This legislation only allows cops to ask for names/address if you are driving vehicles on a road. At this stage of the server's lifecycle, where people are moaning about the quality of RP from both sides, and the frequency of unneeded violence, this change would be the complete wrong direction to go. 

Honest, legal, no crimes committed interaction with the police force not only makes it somewhat refreshing for cops, but also for civs. You can very easily talk your way out of these kinds of situations, and calling for it to be removed stinks of lazy and boring RP.

It may in future also be worth having a chat with the judiciary befores suggesting legislations being banned. They are the entity that is responsible for the legislation that police on the server have at their disposal. 

Characters can RP and have fun without being harassed from the cops and instead RP when they actually have done something wrong.
RP with the police should not be constrained to situations where you have done wrong.

Police cant pull over people as much as they wish and even though irl it is a law scrapping it would not be realistic to some cops in the server so there might be a few disheartened cops
Police CAN pull people over as much as they like IRL. This is section 163 of the road traffic act.

As above, I think you may have identified the wrong legislation. Your initial post sounds to me like you're referring to S163 RTA 1988 (Powers for a uniformed constable to require a vehicle to stop) however your thread tittle is for 165, which doesn't actually give police power to pull vehicles over, only to require a person who has been driving (or suspects they've been involved in an offense under RTA) to hand over insurance documentation or proof of MOT alongside details of the driver and their address.

Either way, abolishing either section, in my mind, is unwise. While yes, it's a very powerful piece of legislation, how on earth else do you expect us to manage to deal with road crime if we can't pull them over, or if we can't ask who they are?!

Last edited by a moderator:
After being involved in the situation that I believe led to this suggestion, it's clear that you have wrote this out of frustration. 

Anyways, getting legislation removed is something that would be dealt with through judiciary, in RP, as Gordon mentioned. 

you HAVE to comply and if u don't u end with a conviction
Unfortunately, this is how the law works. 

Removing s.163 RTA would make no sense and ruin many police & civilian/criminal interactions and possible RP scenarios. 

I wouldn't call a traffic stop harassment. Nor would I say that it isn't fun, 9/10 times it's pretty solid RP. 

As you are someone who previously had a character in roads policing, I would assume you have used this legislation frequently and had no issue in doing so. Coincidently, as soon as you are on the criminal side you want the legislation removed as an RP scenario did not go in your favour. 

i don't see the enjoyment in my crim character being pulled over when she hates police.
If your character hates police, getting pulled over would be a good opportunity for you to roleplay this persona. 

Just because police have the power to pull over anyone they want, doesn't mean that they always do/will. 

Ok im going to speak on behalf of the Police at the incident which this has clearly beeen raised from.

Im not suprised this has ended up on the forums, but i am suprised you havent made a Report a Player instead.

As @NotLevihas said above, i also think this is out of frustration. Ill be honest, this to me appears to be a post with a "loose mentality" fuelling it.

I asked the rest of RPU not to comment to prevent this gettng out of hand.

Im going to be straight up and honest about the situation last night and break it down for you one more time.

Lets start with the law (S163 RTA):

"A person driving a [F1 mechanically propelled vehicle] on a road must stop the vehicle on being required to do so by a constable in uniform [F2 or a traffic officer]."

In the UK, driving is a privilage, not a right. 

Part of driving on the roads is complying fwith the Road Traffic Act and the Highway Code.

The Road Traffic Act was introduced in 1988.

The act requires a POLICE CONSTABLE in UNIFORM to stop a vehicle. It is well known that this can be verbal or signalled through emergency lighting/sirens.

If you dont stop, you commit an offence.

The Section does not require the police to have a "reason" to stop you.

You were explained this in length in the cells last night in character by Police and your Solicitor @AJ Snow.

You then moved to OOC where you continued to complain about the Act. You were told by a staff member, i think someone by Coatsey, what the law was. You didnt get your own way complaining in OOC so you moved to LOOC. Again it was explained to you in LOOC.

You have had a previous cop character, this is OST Day 1 Week 1 stuff that OOC you should know. You were even a member of RPU and im concerned that you got into RPU without knowing the most basic piece of Legistation. However, that is for @HappyKnifeand Isaac to worry about.

The long and the short of it is, most people regardless on what they are up to, commit offences which would give us reason to stop them. I wish there was the statistics for speed cameras, red lights, due care charges. Im sure they would back up my point.

Lets move on the RP.

You were not stopped for no reason. An OP VENICE Officer watched you handshake multiple times at Triads. Even if we did require a reason to stop you, that would be it.

You were given examples by @NotLeviand even a trivia, which you chose not to engage with but sulk instead.

We RPed your "bruise" which you decided to raise out of nowhere and got you the NHS when you asked.

We got you a Soliticor like you requested.

You were then transported to HMP Bolingbroke to serve a reasonable amount of time, significantly lower than max.

You were told to enter a Police Complaint or Appeal through the Courts, instead you just swore at me.

You were told how to approach the courts if you feel like the law needed changing, in reply to said "theyre all snobby".

We couldnt have RPed it with you any other way. You completely had closed down on what we were saying.

Im going to recommend you take some time to actaully reflect on the situation, rather that throwing up posts because you got caught.

You can reply to me if you want, but i wont entertain you with a reply back.

I dont care if the law changes. What i care about is people dressing up forum posts to be something they are not, which is what you have done.

For me personally, I almost wish I got pulled over more often. Having some RP with cops without me having done anything wrong is fun. Just a bit of small chat. Feel like I only ever get to RP with police if I did something wrong and they're coming at me from the offensive. If you only have that, it makes them come across purely as fun police. 

Whilst it'd get rather annoying if they constantly did it for no reason, they don't. I wish they'd pull over more often for traffic violations. I used to slow down to reasonable speeds and stop at red lights if I see police, but since finding out that they do not give a shit, I don't bother anymore and will speed right past them through red. I wish my character was punished for this. Just some small RP with cops on a minor infraction, or basically nothing at all, would be better RP than feeling like they don't care as long as you're not shooting/dealing drugs (although over the last couple of days I've been selling drugs for ~10-15 hours total with a very fun scene in mind when they show up, to no avail, but I digress).

TLDR: I want more RP with cops, not less.

I asked the cops on scene for there ressons and they gave me that section road traffic act thing and for Harry ur information staff suggested i make it a suggestion on the forums so i did.  I also have forgot some stuff i learnt as a cop i have short term memory loss so soz if i forgot my legislation. Its a game not a job therefore it dont need to be all remembered. anyway i will RP what ever the cops do and try not give abuse in future in RP unless its necessary.

This has turned from a suggestion, into comments being made relating to a specific situation. 

If you have an issue with the outcome of a situation, then please post as a player report. 

Suggestion Denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back