What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Telephone Tapping and Burner Phones

Solomon Goldstein

My suggestion includes the implementation of Telephone tapping by the Los Santos PD, and burner phones implemented for criminal organizations.

Telephone tapping

- System that allows specific units within the Los Santos Police Department to tap phone-calls and messages.

- Police Rules must be put in place so this system is not abused by police.

- Allows for more complex roleplay scenario's between criminal organizations and the police.

- Only CID should be allowed to use this system.

Burner Phones

- Because telephone tapping will be a great hinderance for criminal organisations, they should be able to communicate via a different system.

- Burner phones will allow you to use a different method of communication that the police can not tap into, unless they get their hands on one of the burner phones. It could be similar to the sim cards that the Lost controlled in the past.

- Burner phones could be distributed by a specific faction, or crafted by anyone who knows about the secret way of making one.

tenor.gif

This is a class idea! Maybe also the burner phones only have Text and phone services. No picture images sent via Text or any socials just like an old Nokia would be? 

This would be so good to see, CID could find more info just create bigger roleplay scenarios into investigations. Gangs could have a more discreet way of communicating, unless searched and found with the phones.

maybe even CID tapping into radio stations via radio towers sorted by area postcode, which can filter it down for efficiency in investigations.

+1 from Me

Good idea, maybe they can get an approximate area to search when they tap into a phone, and that way find people.

+1 on the burner phones. 
-1 on the phone tapping

Burner phones would be good as I tend to do a mix of work good and bad and I'm stuck to using my number for both purposes. Would be good to have a seperate phone or sim.

Phone tapping I'm not too happy with just because it's unrealistic, but doesn't have to be I guess.

+1 on the burner phones. 
-1 on the phone tapping

Burner phones would be good as I tend to do a mix of work good and bad and I'm stuck to using my number for both purposes. Would be good to have a seperate phone or sim.

Phone tapping I'm not too happy with just because it's unrealistic, but doesn't have to be I guess.
I feel like the phone tapping is quite realistic, with that system you could find Locations, and even access said phone by "hacking" into it, finding info/numbers etc, adds more to the roleplay

I feel like the phone tapping is quite realistic, with that system you could find Locations, and even access said phone by "hacking" into it, finding info/numbers etc, adds more to the roleplay
Really, the phone should be downloaded when seized. The suggestion of eavesdropping conversations just seems a bit.. off to me. I can't picture a situation you would lawfully use it. Pinging a location if you know the number could be good if you do have the burner phones as it means the longer you keep a number the longer a cop might have it and track it, but lose your contacts. Live Cell traces aren't the best and would give you a level of accuracy of probably telling you which corner of the map the player might be in. 

An option for high rank perhaps, so to ensure not abused.

+1 on the burner phones. 
-1 on the phone tapping

I don't get how tapping is unrealistic, it happens 24/7 in real life during active investigations.

The suggestion of eavesdropping conversations just seems a bit.. off to me
I don't understand in what way it feels off to you. If you could clarify it would help me understand it.

I can't picture a situation you would lawfully use it
Cops do it IRL all the time, when attempting to bust a high risked criminal, they tap the phone, access the locations, and etc. 

I don't get how tapping is unrealistic, it happens 24/7 in real life during active investigations.
Tapping, aka interception requires Home Secetary approval. It's not something used to catch drug dealers and gang members. The Investigatory Powers Bill explains that interception cannot be used as evidence in a criminal investigation. But regardless, it's complex. But is also why it concerns me why police would need to evesdrop into conversations and I cannot think of a time they would need to. Secret Service level of investigation far more likely.

Live Cell Traces are a bit iffy too but I guess slightly less intrusive if the updates were not too common and the results quite inaccurate (it's no where near GPS level of accuracy). But it's still not a case of being able to track whoever you want because they're a bad guy - except for the most exceptional offences. Criminals need to have a bit of a chance.

Obtaining data from the phone itself as said should be reserved for a digital forensic submission and like fingerprints data pulled off when it's in physical possesion in my opinion. But, it's important CID make sure of that information. At the moment there isn't really anywhere to record intelligence as just has to be recorded so I imagine officers would have to store that info somewhere for it to be use in future if not straight away? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like this is only going to work for the benefit of police, and saying that it won't be abused when people will still abuse it.

I feel like this is only going to work for the benefit of police, and saying that it won't be abused when people will still abuse it.

That's why I also recommended the burner phones to balance the tapping implementation, also, to prevent abuse I recommended it only being available for CID.

Cops abuse stuff here and there, but guess what when they do, it will be known to all cops to stop abusing or consequences will he handed it, and most of the stuff after that are either those who are new and in training who didn't mean it, or someone who was unaware of the new rule.

Back