What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

The EVOlution Of The Evo

Hobbs

Unlinked
Hello! I know this won't appeal to 99% of the people on here but for the 1% including @Zeito @Farmer Giles and all the other Altis car lover I don't know about yet, here is an English essay I had to write for my GCSE speaking. It may be an interesting read and open you up to the Japanese car scene!

Hobbs <3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The EVOlution of the Evo

In 1973 the Mitsubishi Lancer started productuction in Japan. The sporting 1600 GSR model began the Lancer's long and successful rally history,winning the 'Safari Rally' twice and the 'Southern Cross Rally' four times. This is also where the rivalry between the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and the Subaru Impreza WRX STi was created.  The Lancer is what made the Evolution and has run by side since 1992. The Evolution was originally intended only for Japanese markets,but demand quickly meant that the Evolution series would be offered in the UK though the Ralliart dealer network.

'Ralliart' was founded in April 1984 and was the high-performance and motorsports division of Mitsubishi Motors. 
The first Lancer Evolution started production in 1992 where it had a 2 Litre turbocharged engine and an all wheel drivetrain. Which would become the norm between all the cars in the series. 

The second Lancer Evolutiion was upgraded in December 1993 and was produced until Feburary 1995. Mitsubisi had made improvements mainly of the cars handling, and also by adding a large spoiler which would be a distinctive feauture of the Evo.
By the time of the forth Evolution, (the Evolution IV) in 1996,  the Lancer platform had been completly changed, and along with it, the Evolution. Which had become extremely popular throughout the world. The Evolution IV can be distinguished by its two large fog lights in the front bumper and the newly designed tail lights on the rear.

By the time of the fifth Evolution, Mitsubishi had formed an aliance with Recaro, which has lasted to the current day.
'Recaro' is a German company based in Stuttgart. They are known mostly for their bucket seats. Featuring seats for vehicles such as the Aston Martin DB9, Nissan Skyline R33 aswell as the Subaru impreza STi.

With the sixth Evolution, a special edition was released in 1991, named the Tommi Mäkinen Edition, named after the Finnish rally driver. He had won Mitsubishi four WRC drivers championships. The car had special Recaro seats embossed with Tommi's name. It also had 17" (inch) Enkei white wheels, a leather Momo steering wheel and shift knob and came with a special red colour scheme that was Tommi's normal racing colours.
'Enkei' and 'Momo' are companies which make accessories and parts for Japanese cars especially.

Skipping to the eighth evolution. It came out in 2003 and Mitsubishi had now formed a good relationship with 'Enkei','Brembo' and 'Bilstein' which meant that the new evo could be fitted stock with 17" grey 'Enkei' wheels, 'Brembo' brakes and 'Bilstein' stocks. Which meant that in the U.S. the sales were so successfull that Japan offered them four different trims for the car, the standard GSR model in Japan, the RS, the SSL and the MR, which all came with different stock moddifications. The Lancer Evolution 8 was also the first Evolution to be sold in the U.S. spurred by the success of the Subaru Impreza WRX which had been released there the year before.

In March 2005 the ninth generation started production, in Japan the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Wagon also started production, also known as the Evolution 9.5, this was the first estate Lancer ever produced. Only 2,500 were produced each year which means that they are extremely rare. Which I believe means that in the next ten years they will drasticly increase in value as there is a very large market for Japanese cars especially ones with iconic names such as the Evolution. 

In 2005 Mitsubisi introduced a concept version of the next generation Evolution at the 39th 'Tokyo Motor Show' named the 'Concept-X'. A second concept car, 'the Prototype X' was unveiled at the 2007 'North American International Auto Show'. The Evolution X went on sale October 1st 2007 in Japan and then January 2008 in the USA.

This was the first version of the Evolution Canada had been offered, and went on sale there in Febuary 2008, while the UK had to wait till March.
In March 2011 Gayu Eusegi, (Mitsubishi's Global Product Director) said in an interview with Matt Prior (AutoCar UK's Journalist) quote, The Lancer Evolution X,will be the last Evo. "There is still a demand [for the car], "he said, "but we must stop. "Eyebrow up'
Since then Mitsubishi have given lots of different ideas about if there is going to be a new 'Evo' with their latest comment of that Mitsubishi's new 4x4 will carry the 'Evo' name, which has brought disgust to the car community, and sadly seems that the "Evo" name has come to an end.

evo 5.jpg

mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_i_1.jpg

MITSUBISHILancerEvolutionII-3299_2.jpg

1995-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-III.jpg

evo 4.jpg

evo 6.jpg

evo 7.jpg

evo 8.jpg

evo 9.jpg

evo10.jpg

the ugly evo 11.jpg

I prefer r34 nissan skyline's over an evo but they are both very powerful cars;)

@Zeito Yeah I know! They're looking at putting the Evo legacy on the ASX 4x4 :(, Thank you!

Prefer me a nice Sprinter Trueno or 200sx/180sx/silvia

Last edited by a moderator:
Back