What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

The Old Roleplay.co.uk

• Thread starter Anonymous Capybara1
  • Start date
I personally feel you're looking to hard at the roleplay aspect of this and not taking into account the reality of the server.
I personally feel this is possibly the most ridiculous thing ever said to a dev. On a roleplay server. Is there some sort of forum award for this @TinyBigJacko? He deserves it if there is one.

I personally feel this is possibly the most ridiculous thing ever said to a dev. On a roleplay server. Is there some sort of forum award for this @TinyBigJacko? He deserves it if there is one.
Just because it's roleplay doesn't mean it's going to happen. My point is what once was, was good as it allowed to rob houses 'easily' as you'd be able to see which houses were able to be robbed. However, now it's been traded in for this system where it's so mundane in order to rob houses because of the out-look of this roleplay which is highly unlikely to ever occur.

Roleplay could of still happened with the old system of houses but it didn't and I fail to see why this update will change that.

Don't be a prick mate, he's stating his opinion on what should be changed. We're all allowed to disagree as I have been with him so far but belittling him for his opinion is just nasty.

Whats goin on ere boys? haha

Reading these last comments reminds me of when i was in school n someone would offend ur mate, so you stick up for him n call him a prick, then you both cuss each others mums because you were cool n that. Childish arguments... xD

Just because it's roleplay doesn't mean it's going to happen. My point is what once was, was good as it allowed to rob houses 'easily' as you'd be able to see which houses were able to be robbed. However, now it's been traded in for this system where it's so mundane in order to rob houses because of the out-look of this roleplay which is highly unlikely to ever occur.

Roleplay could of still happened with the old system of houses but it didn't and I fail to see why this update will change that.
Roleplay never happened when people break into houses. They either do it to get a quick score and run off before someone comes over or the RP goes no further than ''Hands up and stop breaking into my house or you will be shot''.

Robbing houses was always to easy. Everyone could instantly see which houses has a online owner. There was no working for it. There was no long term advantage to knowing a house location since people sell them all the time and move places when they get robbed. With all the new systems, house owners have a better chance to defend their houses. If you want to find houses now, you have to think outside the box. You can't just drive past a house and spot a box anymore. You refer to realism but I fail to see how it is realistic to look around for magically apearing boxes to determine if you are wasting time breaking in this house or not. Realisticly, the boxes would be there all the time and you could break in all the time, if you had the tools and the balls to do it. So arguing along this path you started out on, the system actually has become more realistic. You need to use your smarts, follow people, observe areas etc, instead of simply driving around and spotting the plain obvious.

Maybe just my opinion, but I do not feel there is much consistent logic in your argument for realism instead of roleplay. Roleplay should always come first. This game is not about scoring, not about making as much money as possible, not about being able to always do everything the same way you were used to. Things change, those who go with the change thrive, those who get stuck in the past lose.

Can't please everyone I'm afraid.

Roleplay never happened when people break into houses. They either do it to get a quick score and run off before someone comes over or the RP goes no further than ''Hands up and stop breaking into my house or you will be shot''.

Robbing houses was always to easy. Everyone could instantly see which houses has a online owner. There was no working for it. There was no long term advantage to knowing a house location since people sell them all the time and move places when they get robbed. With all the new systems, house owners have a better chance to defend their houses. If you want to find houses now, you have to think outside the box. You can't just drive past a house and spot a box anymore. You refer to realism but I fail to see how it is realistic to look around for magically apearing boxes to determine if you are wasting time breaking in this house or not. Realisticly, the boxes would be there all the time and you could break in all the time, if you had the tools and the balls to do it. So arguing along this path you started out on, the system actually has become more realistic. You need to use your smarts, follow people, observe areas etc, instead of simply driving around and spotting the plain obvious.

Maybe just my opinion, but I do not feel there is much consistent logic in your argument for realism instead of roleplay. Roleplay should always come first. This game is not about scoring, not about making as much money as possible, not about being able to always do everything the same way you were used to. Things change, those who go with the change thrive, those who get stuck in the past lose.

Can't please everyone I'm afraid.
Realistically when you log off your house should be allowed to be raided. Along with that realistically cops should be able to have their houses raided also. However, that isn't the case. It's a server where people come on to do something of which they enjoy; with this update I personally feel that the server has removed a feature of which many including myself would do once in a while which was go house robbing. Yes , you are still able to do it now however it's such a waste of time because of how long it will take in order to find houses to rob and raid.

Realistically when you log off your house should be allowed to be raided. Along with that realistically cops should be able to have their houses raided also. However, that isn't the case. It's a server where people come on to do something of which they enjoy; with this update I personally feel that the server has removed a feature of which many including myself would do once in a while which was go house robbing. Yes , you are still able to do it now however it's such a waste of time because of how long it will take in order to find houses to rob and raid.
Um... I thought cops *can* be robbed, while they are on as cops. Am I missing something? Some of the cops I've spoken to today, recall this being possible, even before the update. Can anyone else confirm?

Certainly I'm sure that I would never knowingly have removed the ability for cops to be burgled whilst they were on as cops... surely that's half the fun!

As regards the idea that houses should be robbable even when a player is OFFLINE, we drew the line against that some years ago. It's simply not a defensible position, for the affected player. He or she cannot do a thing about it, and comes back to an empty house. Ok, so that's a bit like RL, but the point is, even in RL you could maybe set up a webcam at home, and have it link to your mobile via a motion-capture while you're 'at the cinema' or whatever. But we cannot do that in this game - it's just too much work to find a way to notify an offline player that his virtual house is being robbed. Worse, what if the guy *was* online, but just on Server 2, and not Server 1 where he was being robbed? That would be unfair, to say the least!

So, no... offline is sacrosanct... as someone else mentioned, it's not about the bagging of money and counting of scalps or the charting of bullets. It's about roleplay here. Sure, some of the things we do don't get played with as much as we like, and some of the things we never expected to be massive opportunities for RP actually turn out to be just that. But that's never going to stop us trying to create a world where - if people are being genuine about a desire to RP - there will be opportunities for them to roleplay over and above simple deathmatching.

If, with our changes intended to create more RP, we happen to fuck off a few hardened deathmatchers or stats-padders who really don't give a rat's ass about roleplay and only come here for the hands-up-bang-bang, then I will not lose any sleep over it, tbh. It'll just make more space for people who *do* come here for the RP, won't it? Not that I am putting anyone in this conversation into that category, I hasten to add!

Um... I thought cops *can* be robbed, while they are on as cops. Am I missing something? Some of the cops I've spoken to today, recall this being possible, even before the update. Can anyone else confirm?

Under the old system, if you were online then your house could be robbed regardless of Civ, NHS or Police.  The only difference was, logging in as Police or NHS didn't spawn in any crates, only logging in as Civ.

Under the old system, if you were online then your house could be robbed regardless of Civ, NHS or Police.  The only difference was, logging in as Police or NHS didn't spawn in any crates, only logging in as Civ.
Thanks Mattch - so presumably, in the old days, this meant that a cop/medic couldn't lose any ARMA inventory gear, only virtual items like drugs and beans and pickaxes, etc.

In which case:

It needed fixing. Old system didn't allow cops and medics to be FULLY burgled. New system does. Win. ;)

I love this new update. 

So one question, if my house can now be robbed while I'm on as Police, can I access it then? Because before this update I couldn't (both door and inventory).

Also why all the hate towards each others opinions?

It needed fixing. People who were banned were attempting to join the server, triggering the 'timestamp your house' system, and hanging on to houses that would otherwise have timed-out and been available to other people to buy.

It needed fixing. The number of crates being spawned in the gameworld was a significant load on the server and caused lag.

It needed fixing. The crates were a 'dead giveaway' to whether or not a person was on the server, and acted as an easy clue to robbers to rob the house. Some even used to exploit the targeting system in helicopters so that they could find houses to rob, really quickly, without even setting foot in a town.

It needed fixing. There were problems with some people duplicating items from crates, due to the way the default ARMA inventory menu dialog worked.

It needed fixing. Gangs could not buy houses and be mutually responsible for the ownership, and instead they had to rely on one person's house which might vanish if he left the gang.

It needed fixing. The method that Tonic used to store crate-contents and virtual items in the database, was horrifically convoluted and made any sort of emergency back-end discovery of houses where naughty (i.e. hacked-in) things were stored, extremely difficult and time-consuming. Now, it is simple.

There are other fixes, but I'm running out of breath.

Tell your ma she was right. Then ask her what she makes of people who leap to conclusions based on insufficient evidence without any hands-on experience. Then ask her what she'd make of people who then went on to rant about them on a public forum. If she doesn't use at least one swear-word, she's a saint.
As I said, I'm sorry for my views and really hoped this wouldn't be a thread where the Dev team starts hating on me because I inderectly insulted their hard work.

i understand your views, and I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. To be honest, it's find of unfair for you to write that last bit, even though I understand it's humorous, my ma actually believes in individuality and different people having different opinions, and others not putting them down for it. I'm just expressing my opinion and seeing if I share it with anyone, and I'm sorry for (seemingly) angering you.

As I said, I'm sorry for my views and really hoped this wouldn't be a thread where the Dev team starts hating on me because I inderectly insulted their hard work.

i understand your views, and I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. To be honest, it's find of unfair for you to write that last bit, even though I understand it's humorous, my ma actually believes in individuality and different people having different opinions, and others not putting them down for it. I'm just expressing my opinion and seeing if I share it with anyone, and I'm sorry for (seemingly) angering you.
You've not really angered me, and of course I agree that you have every right to an opinion. 

However, an opinion based on nothing but hearsay is always going to be very likely derided and pulled apart in seconds, whereas a considered opinion, based upon solid facts, first-hand-gathered evidence, conclusions derived from exploration, exposure and some actual, genuine detective-work, will always count for a hell of a lot more.

I think you'd probably agree that your opinion of the new housing system was more of the second and less of the first, no? You pretty much said so yourself... ;)

We're not hating on you, btw, just your actions in this single instance. If you'd spent a few days going balls-deep on the housing system, of course your opinion would count a hell of a lot more, and we wouldn't be having quite the same tone to the conversation, most likely.

My worry is that unfounded (or at least 'poorly-researched') negativity about 'a thing' tends to spread like wildfire - and before you know it, we have a hundred other Toms, none of whom have actually played the update, all complaining that it's shit. That would concern me greatly. It can sometimes be very difficult then to convince other players to check out 'the thing' and spend time understanding it.

Similarly, it can be very hard sometimes to convince a developer who has worked really hard on something, that he is being taken seriously and not just having his ideas tossed aside by people who can't even be bothered to look at them closely and form sound opinions on them. Given the amount of time that was spent on this by the devs, it can be a mighty big pisser if 'shoutdowns' happen without at least a similar amount of time being spent on forming those opinions. I'm sure you can see that, given what you've said  - and your apology is noted, thanks. 

You've not really angered me, and of course I agree that you have every right to an opinion. 

However, an opinion based on nothing but hearsay is always going to be very likely derided and pulled apart in seconds, whereas a considered opinion, based upon solid facts, first-hand-gathered evidence, conclusions derived from exploration, exposure and some actual, genuine detective-work, will always count for a hell of a lot more.

I think you'd probably agree that your opinion of the new housing system was more of the second and less of the first, no? You pretty much said so yourself... ;)

We're not hating on you, btw, just your actions in this single instance. If you'd spent a few days going balls-deep on the housing system, of course your opinion would count a hell of a lot more, and we wouldn't be having quite the same tone to the conversation, most likely.

My worry is that unfounded (or at least 'poorly-researched') negativity about 'a thing' tends to spread like wildfire - and before you know it, we have a hundred other Toms, none of whom have actually played the update, all complaining that it's shit. That would concern me greatly. It can sometimes be very difficult then to convince other players to check out 'the thing' and spend time understanding it.

Similarly, it can be very hard sometimes to convince a developer who has worked really hard on something, that he is being taken seriously and not just having his ideas tossed aside by people who can't even be bothered to look at them closely and form sound opinions on them. Given the amount of time that was spent on this by the devs, it can be a mighty big pisser if 'shoutdowns' happen without at least a similar amount of time being spent on forming those opinions. I'm sure you can see that, given what you've said  - and your apology is noted, thanks. 
Deep.

but in all seriousness, I do fully understand your opinion and I agree with most of it. I'm genuinely sorry for insulting your hard work, because I know what that feels like

Thanks Mattch - so presumably, in the old days, this meant that a cop/medic couldn't lose any ARMA inventory gear, only virtual items like drugs and beans and pickaxes, etc.

In which case:

It needed fixing. Old system didn't allow cops and medics to be FULLY burgled. New system does. Win. ;)
So can medics (civ) houses be robbed while they are on as a medic

So can medics (civ) houses be robbed while they are on as a medic
It is my understanding that this is indeed the case, @Norman - I'm sure we'll hear different from @Rath in due course if not, though.

Back