What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Thoughts On Initations And Rights To Shoot

I belive this is an issue. The general rule right now is that there needs to be a certain ammount of things done before you can shoot

1. Roleplay

2. Clear initation

3. Give enough time

4. Shoot

The rule for this is 

[SIZE=medium](2.2) Random Deathmatch (also known as RDM) - Shooting at someone without engaging in any form of quality role play (eg. Giving enough time for them to comply with your order. Count downs are not considered quality roleplay, please at least attempt to create an interesting roleplay story before considering shooting.) is considered RDM. (Punishment is a ban).[/SIZE]

This rule only tells you that step 1 and 3 needs to be finished and never states anything about clear initations and I belive this rule should either be changed to include that a clear initation needs to be given because right now the only way for a new player to know about this rule is to get told off by someone. 

I do see your point that the rules to not define themselves enough about initations and I belive they should be changed to more clearly tell you when you can shoot. This can be argued with that it's in the common sense rule but I just don't see how a new player is supposed to know you have to initiate when the rule for it just says you need to roleplay with them and give them a demand and time to comply.  

If I was to take the rules litteraly it states that I could talk to them for 5 minutes tell them to put their hands up and give them 20 seconds to comply then shoot them without a threat made
I dont know how you cant understand where Im coming from here its really simple.

>Rule says you need to have QuaLiTy RoLePlAY fIRst

>Cant have quality rp with someone who isnt willing to rp and just wants to sprint away with a gun on his back

Really not hard to get. Harr was right, the issue is you cant give good rp before you shoot someone if the "victim" literally just sprints away and pulls a gun. Thats the issue here. I am fully aware you can kill someone if there has been a lot of RP. I kill people all the time when I interrogate them ect. My problem is when I try to talk to someone and they just leg it and whip out an antitank rifle as soon as the turn a corner. Common sense. If I say "Put your hands up" and they try and run away and they also have a gun on their back then they are a threat to me. As soon as theyre out of sight they now have a lethal weapon and are very likely to use it. 

Idk I feel like Im making my point of view very easy to understand here.

I dont know how you cant understand where Im coming from here its really simple.

>Rule says you need to have QuaLiTy RoLePlAY fIRst

>Cant have quality rp with someone who isnt willing to rp and just wants to sprint away with a gun on his back

Really not hard to get. Harr was right, the issue is you cant give good rp before you shoot someone if the "victim" literally just sprints away and pulls a gun. Thats the issue here. I am fully aware you can kill someone if there has been a lot of RP. I kill people all the time when I interrogate them ect. My problem is when I try to talk to someone and they just leg it and whip out an antitank rifle as soon as the turn a corner. Common sense. If I say "Put your hands up" and they try and run away and they also have a gun on their back then they are a threat to me. As soon as theyre out of sight they now have a lethal weapon and are very likely to use it. 

Idk I feel like Im making my point of view very easy to understand here.
Don't worry its been made clear enough by enough of us now. You cant have a high-quality roleplay interaction if the person who is the victim does not reciprocate that high-quality roleplay, and then proceeds to ruleplay on an RDM / FailRP foundation.

The number of times I've been with an admin in ts and someone I killed, after they ran, pulled a gun, got killed and wanted to take me to ts for failr rp/rdm is uncountable. It always resolves with the admin telling them that it was pretty clear what would happen if they pulled a gun and the case getting dismissed.

But the part that boils my blood is when the admin tells me RP wasn't of a high quality. Really? How can I roleplay with someone who runs away and then pulls a gun? I sure ain't risking an armed rebel shooting me. I feel as though it should state in the rules for rdm and failrp that common sense should be used in life or death situations.

Ah the dilemma. The history. The mayhem.

Back in the day, when Altis was but a twinkle in Lord Wilco's eye, everything was game. The only rule was basically "don't be a dick".

Trouble is, there are rather a lot of these Dicks about. The Island used to get regular visits from people who thought AltisLife was basically Battlefield or Call of Duty, and who assumed that running around randomly shooting people in the face for no reason at all, was what you're meant to do here. Wrong!

Hence the original 'No Random Death Match' rule was born, and RDM became a thing.​

W00t!

A special NPC called Ardy Emban even owned the gunstores just to remind people when they bought their shooting sticks, what might happen if they ran around being gunwhore Dicks.

And for a time, it worked. People got banned for RDM, and there were fewer Dicks.

But time passed. The dinosaurs came and went, and soon after, the Island cave people got lazy. And the Dicks got very slightly smarter. Now, instead of just randomly deathmatching people, the Dicks worked out that if they simply added the famous phrase (Latin, I think; maybe Swahili)...

"Hanza Pordye!"

...then they were no longer RDMers, and their dicks shrank and became invisible! 

Or at least, that's what they thought. The rest of the Islanders believed the exact opposite, and feared that the Dicks were now even bigger, and returning in ever greater numbers. What to do? How to stem the tide of dickishness? How to maintain a degree of cool banter, fun, edgy drama, skirting-with-death, and excitement, when there were so many content just to spout the evil magic phrase and pop their pistol?

Answer?

More roolz.

From this was born the New Era™. Stone tablets from the mountain-tops decreed that henceforth,​

There Shall Be Quality Roleplay! ​

...and the criminal punishment of 'FailRP' became a thing. Now, it was no longer safe just to yell the pat phrase and open up a clip in someone's face; you had to be somebody. You hadda be cool. You hadda be interesting. It wasn't even enough to simply repeat the magic words over and over multiple times giving someone time to react... you actually had to say something worthwhile!

And for a time, this was enough. Life was sweet again, and people went about their business on Altis with renewed vigour and vim. Encounters happened, people talked, Roles were Played, and people were happy.​

The Dicks had gone, again.

But sadly, history repeats itself, as we know only too well (eh, Donald J?). Dicks always come back. Much, much later, the Dicks realised that they could play the flipside game. Instead of being the RDMer, they could antagonise people in such a way to make them be the RDMer! Huzzah!

All it took was to allow some small kind of roleplay to be established, by the other party who was attempting a robbery, say, and they could simply run away! And then afterwards, when the dust had settled, they would make plaintive, whining reports to the Island Gods in the hope that their frustrated, hapless murderer would be cast asunder from the lands forevermore. And sometimes, if they edited their transcripts and videos very, very cleverly, it really did look like they had truly been wronged, and thus many people were exiled. There was much wailing and moaning and gnashing of teeth.

Even better, the Dicks learned the even-more-special tactic of placing oneself in harm's way, extracting some 'Innishi Hayshun' (another Latin term, I believe, but quite possibly Mandarin) from their honest, well-intentioned counter-party, along with a goodly amount of time given for their own reaction. The Dicks then used this freely-given reaction time to simply run away, take cover around a corner, get their weapon from its holster, and shoot their aggressor without a second thought. Yay! Success!! Justified inverse "Innishi Hayshun" with a suitably Scot-Free amount of value-added RDM. "Fucking marvellous!", thought the Dicks. "We have won, at last!"

At that point, the Island Gods were completely bereft of possibilities. The line between 'FailRP' and 'RDM' became so blurred that it was no longer possible to distinguish who was in the wrong. Some gods banished the running-shooter Dicks, being wise to their little games; whilst other gods felt it was 'just so' for the original roleplaying robber to die, and that it was 'realistic'. Others just simply lost the plot entirely, banned the innocent robber victim just as the Dick had intended, then realised their godly hypocrisy, drank way too much holy nectar, and started their own terminal decline by inhaling ethereal dopeclouds 24/7 as a futile means of attempting to understand this topsy-turvy world. It was, as the Good Lord said:​

"So Bloody Sad!"
I wish I could tell you that the denizens of Altis had a resolution. I wish that it was recorded history that the Dicks had gone, at last, never to return, and that the gods were all-powerful, omnipotent, and always, irrefutably wise. But alas, life is not like that, nor is AltisLife, and the history is now. No matter what roolz the gods lay down, there will be always be someone who thinks not of the spirit, but of the self. Who strives to cause chaos and destruction whilst getting his or her cheap jollies. Man, woman, adult or child, there will always be the Dick.

The only workable, solid, undeniable rule of Altis Life is, and always will be:

Don't be a Dick!

Here endeth the lesson.

​

Have a read if you haven't already.

Making a rule with a 15 step guide to what you have to do if you want to do if you want to shoot someone isn't a thing.

I would like to reference a famous quote:

BigJacko, T. (2018). Social predation habits of the altisian knob twister. - "Don't be a Dick!"

The only 'initiation' should be the initiation of roleplay. Roleplay dies the second the first bullet is fired.

Back