What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

unconnected's setup

CPU: Intel i7 4770K oc'd to 4.2 GHz

GPU: 2 x Asus Strix Geforce 980 4GB in SLI
Why do you have a petty 4770k but 2 980's? was it too much to either get a 5xxx extreme edition or atleast the upgraded 4790k :p ?

@unconnected

I've always been a "leave the sound card till last" kind of guy and always spent my cash on other hardware upgrades. But the time has come and I've got a free pcie lane so I'd like to join the #studiogradeaudiomasterrace that I see guys like George and Stoneman are a member of.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? What do I need for a decent microphone on a stand (a preamp, where does that connect?) and what is a good sound card for this sort of thing (and gaming if possible).
Come join us! Having said that, I was chatting to Stoneman last night and he was using his headset mic.

The flow goes like this

Mic > Preamp > Digital to Analogue converter (DAC)

So I’ve got
SE2200a Mk3 > PreSonus preamp > Built in mother board DAC

If you buy a USB mic you have all of the above within your mic. I would use USB if I didn’t need the mic for other applications.

Another thing to consider is how noisy your computer room is. There’s two categories (broadly speaking) of microphone, Dynamic (see them on stage) & Condenser (studio use only). You’ll get better sound using the condenser but it’ll also pick up more room noise. The dynamic mic is less sensitive so it’s less of an issue.

What’s your budget and how noisy is your computer room. I’d love to provide few options :)

Why do you have a petty 4770k but 2 980's? was it too much to either get a 5xxx extreme edition or atleast the upgraded 4790k :p ?
I'll break it down for you:

1. I bought the 4770K on release with a maximus extreme VI so the 4790k wasn't available.  The 4790K is also exactly the same underlying cpu just at a higher ootb clock rate, its just in a different package with different TIM. In other words a 4770K at 4.2ghz is indentical in performance to a 4790K at 4.2Ghz. In June/July I will be upgrading to broadwell 5770K as I'm now on a maximus formula VII which will support them. The 4770K will then go back in the maximus extreme and I'll have another server/desktop/guest machine
  2. I need the hd4600 gpu built into the cpu, the 5XXX series dont have them and nvidia cards (even in sli) can only drive 4 panels, I have 6
  3. The 1150 cpus give better single threaded performance than the 2011 cpus and no game needs 6+ cores nor does my desktop workflow
  4. I dont intend to go for triple sli due to diminshing returns so the extra pcie lanes arent worth it
  5. 32GB of DDR4 is far too expensive right now
  6. Overall the haswell-e was something I considered buying but I couldn't justify the purchase as it wouldnt have improved my gaming performance at all and in fact may have given me poorer performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Unlucky George

@unconnected

Come join us! Having said that, I was chatting to Stoneman last night and he was using his headset mic.

The flow goes like this

Mic > Preamp > Digital to Analogue converter (DAC)

So I’ve got
SE2200a Mk3 > PreSonus preamp > Built in mother board DAC

If you buy a USB mic you have all of the above within your mic. I would use USB if I didn’t need the mic for other applications.

Another thing to consider is how noisy your computer room is. There’s two categories (broadly speaking) of microphone, Dynamic (see them on stage) & Condenser (studio use only). You’ll get better sound using the condenser but it’ll also pick up more room noise. The dynamic mic is less sensitive so it’s less of an issue.

What’s your budget and how noisy is your computer room. I’d love to provide few options :)
I will certainly take you up on that :)

£500 budget, more if I need a sound card, is that reasonable?

The room is fairly quiet, certainly not studio quiet though!

My set up is not up to your standard but I run a Creative sound blaster Z PCI-E sound card a bargain at £62 remember just because its reasonable does not make it crap.

I recently bought a Blue Snowball Omni/Cadioid USB mic as it came highly recommended  it was around £60 I think. 

I then got a nifty piece of software called Morph Vox pro for added hilarity in multiplayer games.

It is not George status but works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
@unconnected I just checked your photos and you've already got what you need!

I can see a Behringer mixer on your desk, looks like a XENYX. I've got one too, I've recently fallen in love with it again.

This is why it's perfect;

It's USB so thats your DAC sorted

Its a preamp with phantom power which you need for condenser mics 

the compression on it is AMAZING for voice

You even have EQ control 

Honestly, get a microphone firstly and use it with that mixer, if you dont like using the mixer you can always buy a preamp. I'm about to rebuild my computer room and the Behringer will be replacing my presonus  :)

Ok if i may one more question I want to sort out my dual pc streaming setup, the intended solution was to use the preamp with the usb into the streaming pc and then connecting up the preamp to my gaming pc with a 3.5mm cable for in-game voip.  Being a complete noob to this can I still do that with the mixer?

regarding microphones, this is what I use http://www.seelectronics.com/se2200a-ii. I truly love it.

2200a-available_as-C.jpg

If you want to piss me off get this, it's the gold standard for microphone 

422390.jpg

But i'd actually get something more like this . I'm bias toward SE mics as love is blind, but they do get good reviews also, I chose this one because of the smaller form factor, it won't block your view. Comes with a shock mount and pop filter too!

422360.jpg

Ok if i may one more question I want to sort out my dual pc streaming setup, the intended solution was to use the preamp with the usb into the streaming pc and then connecting up the preamp to my gaming pc with a 3.5mm cable for in-game voip.  Being a complete noob to this can I still do that with the mixer?
Yes you can! I can already think of one way, there's probably more. The mixer can split the signal, USB to streaming PC and 3.5 to main PC, no problem :)

You'll be fine with anything over 60 quid, it's hard to hear the difference after that!

There's only one thing I insist you spend money on and that's the boom stand. I cheap'd out with a 20 quid one which was fine but I was always adjusting it as it would slide down slowly before it broke. I just bought the one below which is about 60 quid and it's easily worth the money  :D

12041715052438f1.jpg

Back