What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

USB Audio Interface Computer Output

Daanish

Tom is a good lad | Retired Staff
Unlinked
Hi,

I have a question:

I was planning on buying a USB Audio interface, and have decided to get this one: https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio-Interfaces/UMC202HD/p/P0BJZ (Please do suggest others if you know a better one!) and I was wondering if it can be used as an output device too.

So, can I plug my headphones into this, select it as an output device, and hear in game / teamspeak sounds? If so, do I plug it in the back, or in the front in the direct monitoring plug. And if not, I'll just plug my headphones into my PC directly with 3.5 mm jack.

Thanks in advance,

Daanish

I use the Focusrite Scarlett Solo (https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-solo) as recommended by George.

Although I use it for mic in rather than headphones out, it can of course be used this way. Its neat, easy to use, and gets the job done well. 

As far as setup, I think you just need to put the jack in and it should work (once enabled in windows settings). Direct monitor is only if you need to listen to your XLR input directly (e.g. playing guitar and singing).

Hope that helps

I use the Focusrite Scarlett Solo (https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-solo) as recommended by George.

Although I use it for mic in rather than headphones out, it can of course be used this way. Its neat, easy to use, and gets the job done well. 

As far as setup, I think you just need to put the jack in and it should work (once enabled in windows settings). Direct monitor is only if you need to listen to your XLR input directly (e.g. playing guitar and singing).

Hope that helps
Thanks for the info, I got confused as I couldn't find a clear answer anywhere as the diagrams weren't useful, but you cleared it up haha.

I was also looking at the focusrite too, and decided to go with the umc as it's the same brand as my mic. 

But yeh anyway thank you!

May i ask what you are gonna use this for Daanish? Like do you want to stream, play games or maybe for music production?

May i ask what you are gonna use this for Daanish? Like do you want to stream, play games or maybe for music production?
At the moment, just playing games.

In the near future (either in the summer or next year), I might use it for a little bit of music production. The mic I am buying is the Behringer c1

I stream a couple times a year, so not much haha

For playing games and starting music production this interface will do the job alright :)

You will probably use it for all audio. In a way it works just as your pc onboard soundcard does except you will use xlr microphones instead of usb or minijack. The overall quality of audio will be alot higher. Just plug your mic and headphones in the front and then some speakers in the back L and R and you are ready. 

You gonna need to install some drivers that the interface needs to function, they will come on a disc or most likely you will have to download it from the brands website.

Enjoy! 

And you should definitly start on music production sooner then later as it is so much fun! XD

For playing games and starting music production this interface will do the job alright :)

You will probably use it for all audio. In a way it works just as your pc onboard soundcard does except you will use xlr microphones instead of usb or minijack. The overall quality of audio will be alot higher. Just plug your mic and headphones in the front and then some speakers in the back L and R and you are ready. 

You gonna need to install some drivers that the interface needs to function, they will come on a disc or most likely you will have to download it from the brands website.

Enjoy! 

And you should definitly start on music production sooner then later as it is so much fun! XD
Sounds good. I ordered it today, should come by the end of the week. I don't know really what I'd do with music production though as I decided not to study it haha.

Sounds good. I ordered it today, should come by the end of the week. I don't know really what I'd do with music production though as I decided not to study it haha.
Good thing about music production is that it doesn't really matter. For every music style there is an audience. Even for the most experimental stuff that you and i might dislike, there is always someone out there that is gonna dig it. Music production is creative, expressive and freedom. You can do whatever you want and as long as it is well produced you will get an audience my friend. You didn't decide to study it but if you get hooked on music production then i am pretty sure you will go and improve your skills and in a way start studying it. Just remember, don't set the bar too high for yourself. Chill and make some beats, you'll have loads of fun.

Good luck! If you have questions about this stuff later on, don't be a stranger ;)

Back