What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

"Weed Is Now Legal!" - Mayor Coco

(Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Overseas_Territories#Legal_system)

Not only have Gold Command (specifically DCC @sciencefreak74) thrown around a wild accusation of corruption within the Mayoral Office, they do not realise we are a self governing overseas territory of Britain with our own legal system which is independent of the British Mainlands.

Now, the Politicians that you elected have made these changes and as of yesterday they are now official on the island of Altis. For the Police to go against this, it would require them going against our legal system. We make the laws, Police follow and uphold them. If any member of Gold Command comes forward after this and claims Cannabis is still illegal then legal proceedings will be held against them and they will be prosecuted under the Altis court of law.

For far too long have corrupt mayors stood by and let the Police Service control the laws of the land and the people. Well not any more!

Thank you to the citizens of Altis in their understandings as we resolved this issue.

Mayor Coco

Last edited by a moderator:
As upstanding members of the legal system; The plebs will give you their full support against the tyrannous gold command who have overstepped their boundaries and abused their power. I hope that all police members who believe in democracy and an elected governing body as opposed to the dictatorship of the police force over the island will also support us.

@M rally the troops

tenor.gif

Once you have a full vehicle of processed weed please come down to your local police station, once you give us the exact amount processed and keys for a brief inspection of your vehicle, we will sort out all the paperwork* for you. 

We have trained our officers to support you throughout this "change" so all you need to say is "Hello Officer, I have a full truck of weed".

*You may be arrested and your truck could be seized and scrapped in accordance with the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971

As much as we like to do the whole realism thing with enforcing the law and being tied to the British mainland, perhaps this is an instance where police command should just go with it because at the end of the day it is a game, it’s not some insane/ridiculous change, and it would be fun to do something different for once and let the players have more of a role in shaping the larger scale RP narrative of the island, rather than just shutting this down.

tldr: looks like fun, let players shape the politics of the island, it’s only a game so chill with the ‘but mah laws must all come from the UK mainland shtick’.

theres so much that could be done on Arma if people’s RP wasn’t so readily shut down by the police

might even have to come back to the Arma server as rebel to help these fine gentlemen teach cops how to have fun and enjoy the game

As much as we like to do the whole realism thing with enforcing the law and being tied to the British mainland, perhaps this is an instance where police command should just go with it because at the end of the day it is a game
The main issue is that the mayor doesn't actually have any say over legal matters. At all. That's not to say that they can't try, but making a post going "this is legal now" seemingly out of the blue isn't the right way to go about it. Previous mayors have tried (and some succeeded) to change certain laws, but they sat down with the police command to talk about it first. That was all done in game, and created some nice RP scenarios.

Personally I can understand the frustration. As it says on the wiki:

It is not a position of actual power but rather a position that is used for roleplay as a government official. 

Some people work hard to get support for Mayoral elections, so why shouldn't they be rewarded with something that allows them a little bit of actual power on the server, such as the ability to change laws or, at the very least, be part of the decision making process?

I'm working on a suggestion that would help do just that. It's an idea I've floated before, but this post has highlighted it again.

sat down with the police command to talk about it first
Whilst this would be great fun, how often do you see police command in game? Maybe once or twice a month...I have seen a couple more around recently, but not really that often tbf.

I imagine that the meetings were arranged with GC members, not just done spur of the moment 😛

i'm guessing even if GC wasn't on you could still just message them on TS asking if you could have a chat about something that's regarding a law on the island

Lets be honest GC would let us change fuck all.

As the only actual political figure on Altis surely the mayor is the holder of political power as he is the highest ranking elected official. The police are NOT elected. The police are there to enforce the laws set out by the people. 

Hate how everything on this server has to be police approved or they just shut it down. how about letting the playerbase decide instead of 3 people that barely log on.

Perhaps a democratic referendum would be useful on the matter?

The main issue is that the mayor doesn't actually have any say over legal matters. At all.
If this was actually real life, the mayor would have every say about legal matters. But the system has been made so that only GC can change the laws and I don’t agree with that. Officially, if we were to base this off of real life then as an overseas territory the mayor would be in full control as an elected official. The mayor role is pretty useless on this server and I’ve gone and changed the game completely by making it so that the mayor can actually completely change the island and I think everyone can agree that in terms of RP, this is much better than GC deciding absolutely everything legal wise.

Perhaps a democratic referendum would be useful on the matter?
I like the idea 😈

I wonder what effects legalization would have on the value of the weed 🤔

I wonder what effects legalization would have on the value of the weed 🤔
I believe the value would increase due to the fact all weed on our wonderful island is homegrown and because of this there will now be a much higher supply and demand 🙂

If this was actually real life, the mayor would have every say about legal matters.
Incorrect. Mayors have zero sway on legislation: that's done a national government level. Mayors are local government, and only have influence on local budgets and policy. Even in cases where legislation can be changed, there still needs to be an official vote. A behind-closed-doors "we totally did this and this was the result" vote, as has been insinuated here, would not be legal in the slightest.

I commend the effort to make the mayor role a bit more interesting, but you've gone about it in completely the wrong way.

I commend the effort to make the mayor role a bit more interesting, but you've gone about it in completely the wrong way.
I wouldn’t agree with you on this.

simply by posting what he has, coco has opened up plenty of avenues in game for more roleplay. Whether that be SPG attempting to arrest him for corruption, the many citizens protesting against the police, etc etc. 

As it’s never been done before you can’t say that something is the complete wrong way. 

As it’s never been done before you can’t say that something is the complete wrong way. 
Except that it has.

As I mentioned previously, mayors have changed laws in the past but it has always been with the support of the police. You cannot enforce the laws without them.

Equally, as a game mechanic, the mayor has no ultimate power to change laws on the fly. They're not Emperor Palpatine. To change something on a server level, such as the power to change laws, you've got to go through the suggestion forums.

What it has done is re-highlight old complaints, and got gears turning. Personally I'd love to see the mayor have a more active role on legislation! But the trade-off has to be accountability.

Like I said, I've got a suggestion I'm playing with that should hopefully solve both of those issues, and several other complaints that people are having/brought up in this thread.

Back