What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Why are Squad XMLs disabled (Answered)

Shepherd

UNMC Sgt.
Just wondering, why exactly are Squad XMLs/Squad Logos disabled? They don't do any harm right? Surely, they only allow people to either have a laugh with a clothing brand logo etc. Or they let gangs put their logo on their vehicles so that people can understand who they affiliate with.

This isn't hostile I was just wondering, why?

I have explained this one loads of times before... however i will give our response one last time and amend the title of this thread so it can be easily found for searches in the future.

Squad.xml's are optional for the server owner, We decided to disable them as its another factor that we are not in control of and as you know we like to be in control of everything that communicates and send files to our server.

When a person has a Squad.xml its usually hosted on a website that in the past that we have noticed has been very slow, in some cases the user does the squad.xml incorrectly which can cause issues or they get the .paa image file size wrong or it gets corrupted and this has caused issues with Arma3 to the point where it will freeze its queue until its chucked the squad.xml away this would inturn cause desync for all players.

Another reason is the squad.xml is downloaded from the source that is hosted it, it then sends out the file (some squad.xml images have been over 1-2mb each) to every single person connected then every single person connected communicates back that they have the squad.xml, the server is then sending this squad.xml image along with other images and date to every person who then connects

for example 1 squad.xml image sent to 119 other players .... imagine 120 squad xml images sent to 120 players and anyone else that joins (sometimes upto 1000+ players per 4 hour restart)

Its unnecessary traffic, its something that isn't really needed or required and for the amount of extra work the server needs to do and the fact its open for abuse and has been abused in the past its a door that we will keep shut

I believe squad.xmls were designed originally for an arma server hosting 32-64 players in a vanilla arma 2/3 environment with no where near the traffic and strain we are putting on arma's engine 

Hope that answers your question and anyone elses that searches for this or that is linked to this in the future :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe XML's were disabled quite a while ago.  I remember it being something to do with server performance (clients having to keep fetching multiple XMLs at the time causing issues?).  The other issue I believe we had was the logo system being abused by people making it stuff you really didn't want (Racism etc).

With the new Arma Unit system, you may be able to use that instead

Edit: Wilco beat me to it, take his response rather than mine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was using the ArmA3 Units method to get a logo disabled recently? I still see people running around with logos on their arm?

If people still have it they will lose it when we next do server maintenance, this means there squad.xml/image is in a serverside folder still.

• Sad
Reactions: Ant
I selected a squad yesterday and only joined it yesterday and it works in the server for me showing up on both uniform and vehicle? Was through the Units section in the launcher.

Back