What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Windows 7 To Windows 10

Rossss

The Flying Scotsman
So I had windows 7 on my old HDD and I got an SSD a few days ago and put it in my pc. I upgraded to windows 10 and to my surprise it didn't let me wipe my HDD. I also (not so much to my surprise) couldn't choose what disk to install it to. So long story short i've got windows 10 on my HDD and I want it on SSD. If it helps, I have a windows 7 recovery disk thingy.

Thanks 

Use a disk cloning software to copy your whole HDD to the SSD is the best way I think 

Get a USB stick and look online how to create a bootable USB for installing. From there put the Windows 10 iso onto it. (instructions are on the windows website).

Next, turn on your PC, with the USB stick in a USB 2.0 slot. Go to BIOS and boot to the USB. Start to install windows, skipping the activation key. When you get to the point to choose where to install it, right click on your HDD and format / wipe it. Allocate the space on the SSD and install it.

Hope that makes sense. Doing it on my phone so hard to explain.

@Zeito can explain better probably, as I had similar problems!

Use a disk cloning software to copy your whole HDD to the SSD is the best way I think 
Drag and drop? ;) Nah just kidding I was looking for a complete fresh install of both drives.

Get a USB stick and look online how to create a bootable USB for installing. From there put the Windows 10 iso onto it. (instructions are on the windows website).

Next, turn on your PC, with the USB stick in a USB 2.0 slot. Go to BIOS and boot to the USB. Start to install windows, skipping the activation key. When you get to the point to choose where to install it, right click on your HDD and format / wipe it. Allocate the space on the SSD and install it.

Hope that makes sense. Doing it on my phone so hard to explain.

@Zeito can explain better probably, as I had similar problems!
Sounds good, i'll do it tomorrow when i'm more awake and get back 

@RossssAre you using the Windows 7 > Windows 10 free upgrade? Or do you have a full license for it?

If you have a full licence, then I'd just un-install your old HDD and install on the SSD (as it'll be the only available drive).
Afterwards you can connect your old HDD and wipe it in disk management in Windows 10.

If you're using the free upgrade, another solution is to install Windows 7 on your SSD and then upgrade it from there.

@RossssAre you using the Windows 7 > Windows 10 free upgrade? Or do you have a full license for it?

If you have a full licence, then I'd just un-install your old HDD and install on the SSD (as it'll be the only available drive).
Afterwards you can connect your old HDD and wipe it in disk management in Windows 10.

If you're using the free upgrade, another solution is to install Windows 7 on your SSD and then upgrade it from there.
Free upgrade. I'll try Daanish's method tomorrow as it seems easier, but failing that i'll try this, which was my backup method.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rossss if you contact microsoft support from inside windows 10 they can deactivate your licence so you can reinstall from a bootable usb made by the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO

If you reinstall before it's deactivated, it might not activate properly when you reinstall but In theory it could work because it's the same mobo etc. but i'd go with contacting support first.

Reinstalling 7 and then upgrading again could work, but it obviously takes longer because you're installing twice, and it may say your upgrade has already been claimed.

Free upgrade. I'll try Daanish's method tomorrow as it seems easier, but failing that i'll try this, which was my backup method.
You might have trouble with that.

I tried this when the normal upgrade method from Windows 7 > Windows 10 failed on my machine.
I simply had no way to apply a full license to a fresh install of Windows 10, because I was using the free upgrade and it doesn't use a specific license key as such to do it. 

There might be a workaround, but I unfortunately didn't spend enough time searching for one.

EDIT: Scratch that, read what @Zeitosaid above.

@Rossss if you contact microsoft support from inside windows 10
Where is this?

You might have trouble with that.

I tried this when the normal upgrade method from Windows 7 > Windows 10 failed on my machine.
I simply had no way to apply a full license to a fresh install of Windows 10, because I was using the free upgrade and it doesn't use a specific license key as such to do it. 

There might be a workaround, but I unfortunately didn't spend enough time searching for one.
I'll @Zeito's method to solve this then 

Start -> All Apps, there should be 'Contact Support' option somewhere around there, or click start and type 'Support'  @Rossss

Got it all working, @SGT Icecubekindly helped me out with some problems I had, but we got it working 
1f603.png

Thanks everyone who posted for the help 

Anyway next time do it better

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No problem Ross, I nearly crashed whilst driving my sporty though! 

Back