What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Best SSDs?

ConnorTheGreatt

Los Santos Police Senior
Los Santos Police Senior
I've been meaning to buy an SSD for a while now but unfortunately I don't know what ones are the best. Was wondering if any of you could give me some guidance as I've been noticing frame drops so I think it's time to finally get one. 

Ive seen a few conflicting opinions around so would just like some clarification before I buy one

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Samsung 850 Evo

I have one and its fantastic and I am sure the other people that have one on here will agree :D

Samsung 850 Evo

I have one and its fantastic and I am sure the other people that have one on here will agree :D
Would fully concur with this. Evo's have a 5 year guarantee, and the Pro's have 10 year guarantee. I've done lots of tests on a huge range of SSD's in the past 5 years, and the Samsung 840 and 850 series have been outstanding and well worth every penny.

Recently order 400 x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro's for a company I work with, and that is for use in an extremely demanding environment, and was chosen precisely because it is by far the best price/performance ratio and it has very good longevity.

I personally use a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD for my main OS drive, and another 1TB 850 Evo as my primary recording storage (before moving it to my HDD once fully recorded).

Gotta agree with the 840 Evo & 850 Evo, both very good drives for their price.

Would say, depending on what mainboard you have, it would be worth see'ing if you can fit a m.2 NVME drive, if so then get a 950 NVMe m.2 drive !!! 

If you don't have that, either upgrade your motherboard or 100% agree with the above get a 850 Evo

Would say, depending on what mainboard you have, it would be worth see'ing if you can fit a m.2 NVME drive, if so then get a 950 NVMe m.2 drive !!! 

If you don't have that, either upgrade your motherboard or 100% agree with the above get a 850 Evo
Oh piss off with your fancy m.2 drives, always making me jealous. Fuck it, factorio will make me feel better about myself.

(Seriously though, good suggestion)

@DR Connor Samsung 850 Evo gets another vote from me. Got one in my machine at home and it's stellar. Crucial UK make some very good SSDs as well - they are a retail arm of Micron who are one of the big manufacturers of the actual memory chips, so hard to get a better source than that.

As @lionelsaid, an m.2 nvme drive is EXCEPTIONALLY fast if your mobo supports it, however if you're planning to use it as a boot drive - watching some videos online first as some motherboards aren't the easiest to configure for this and it's not always 'plug n play'

Ok thanks for all the responses. Think it looks like I'll be ordering a Samsung 850 EVO. 

Thanks again :)

As @lionelsaid, an m.2 nvme drive is EXCEPTIONALLY fast if your mobo supports it, however if you're planning to use it as a boot drive - watching some videos online first as some motherboards aren't the easiest to configure for this and it's not always 'plug n play'
@ZeitoWorth the effort IMO, 30 min of googling swearing and masturbating. But years of Super boot speed!! 

Oh piss off with your fancy m.2 drives, always making me jealous. Fuck it, factorio will make me feel better about myself.
Fuck you playing factorio while im at work !!! Fine Ill come home tonight and show you how to make everything more efficient YOU SHALL TREMBLE AND COWER BEFORE MY EFFICIENCY  MWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
@DainMKI got another user hooked :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@ZeitoWorth the effort IMO, 30 min of googling swearing and masturbating. But years of Super boot speed!! 
30 minutes? Lightweight.

I would like to get one at somepoint, though i currently have more storage than i know what to do with! If/When this microserver ever arrives i'll have even more :(

though i currently have more storage than i know what to do with! If/When this microserver ever arrives i'll have even more :(
I have plenty of space for servers ;) *wink wink *nudge nudge 

I have plenty of space for servers ;) *wink wink *nudge nudge 
I know your wife would kill you if you cut another hole in the plasterboard. I'm saving you from yourself!

I upgraded from a 840 to 850 last week.

850 EVO

Q1JsXSh.png

The replaced 2 year old 840 EVO (tested after a surface refresh using the Samsung tool)

aUb5McE.png

I did have two SSDs in RAID 0 but it started to feel slow

RAID 0 840 EVO and Kingston

S3CCCvI.png

turns out the Kingston SSD was slowing everything down

Kingston SV300

AjwZMep.png

TLDR: 850 EVO = good. Wish I had NVME/M.2

Back