What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Better voicechat immersion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isak

Staff Team
Staff Team
Investor
Different voice effects depending on phone, radio etc.

As of right now, on foot, in vehicle, phone and radio all use pure voice chat. What I would like to propose is different effects depending on where and how you are talking.

Here are some effects that I think would increase immersion while playing:

- Static "radio" effect when talking over radio.
- Phone static or a effect when talking.
- Echo/reverb when talking inside of tunnels or large warehouses/buildings.
- Slightly muffled voice when talking to people standing outside of the vehicle you are driving. And inside of shops, dealerships etc.

- Probably a lot more effects that could be added, please post your ideas too!

The Pros: More RP possibilities and better interactions, more immersion. Make it easier to differentiate if people are talking ingame or on radio when there are a lot of people talking around you.

The Cons: Dev work ofc, people with bad microphones or voicechangers would potentially be heavily impacted by the effects over phone / radio.

Does this suggestion change balance on the server?: Potentially, as it might be easier to identify where people are located (example if they are inside a building or outside)

I am aware that probably a few (or all) of these has been submitted before, apologizes for that.

+1 - Especially with the Radio as it can sometimes be difficult to tell if someone is talking over radio or within hearing distance. 

+1, Been hoping for a while that "Echo/reverb when talking inside of tunnels or large warehouses/buildings." would eventually be brought in however it hasn't of yet. To be fair I understand why as it must be quite a hard task for devs but definitely a good suggestion.

I believe some of these have been and left - especially the muffled sounds in and out of shops but it was causing issues. Would love to see it brought back though along with the rest.

radio one was in and caused issues and went again if it works would love it back

I feel like this is a suggestion that sounds good in paper, but I see it being annoying in practice when you're trying to speak to someone and their voice is muffled by a bad mic and a dozen different sound effects.

Half the time I can't tell what people are saying with their voice changers as they are. This suggestion though defo a plus one. Especially on the radio effects +1

Big +1 from me, feel like this has been needed for a while, just QoL improvements.

As of right now, on foot, in vehicle, phone and radio all use pure voice chat. What I would like to propose is different effects depending on where and how you are talking.
If I remember correctly from Archie streaming some VOIP stuff on Twitch a while back, the server uses 3D audio instead of native audio (native audio is required for effects) so this likely wouldn't be possible (unless they have changed it since then of course).

I know music actually echos and reverbs off of tall structures, i.e the overpasses you can drive under - best way to experience that is with a Lowrider vehicle.

But, would be amazing to get more stuff like that, be nice to use the Vinewood Bowl and other stadiums alike for speeches and whatnot.

I hope this would fix the PD and the Hospital issues of people shouting through walls, Literally cannot differentiate between the person talking in front of me or the one in the ICU shouting some insults for no reason xD

This is something that is being worked on for some time now. But it requires a lot of work, to give a small hint on how much. we essentially need to go through every custom building on the server and define for each wall, door, window, ceiling etc whether or not sound should go through it and what effect the object should have on the sound.

Something that is WIP but also far away due to the amount of work.

Brief Summary:

Make changes to the voice quality and radio sounds to better distinguish who is talking.

Detailed Suggestion:

This is comprised of two parts; voice quality and radio sounds.

1) Voice Quality

This would be where if a person were to transmit over the radio, their voice would be broadcast with a lower quality, thus better enabling a person to distinguish someone talking over the radio, as opposed to talking in front of you, this would be beneficial, especially when in crowds.

2) Radio Sounds

This is more so from a police side, but if the radio sounds were made to be more inline with actual radio sounds, such as the PTT sound and panic button, it would add further depth and realism thus improving immersion.

The Pros:

• Better to distinguish who is talking when in crowds or when with other people.
  • Adds depth to realism and makes the game that little more immersive

The Cons:

• Civs would also have to bare these changes in mind and the radio sounds may not be what they are looking for

Does this suggestion change balance on the server ?

Nope

Yeah same as the other suggestion I think its a great idea and would be cool to get more immersion but would also like the option to turn it off like the radio beeps. If the noise is getting distorted and then you struggle to hear to understand it wont be fun so an option would be nice. +1

Merged duplicate suggestion into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back