What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

I want it big, and hard

DainMK

Lifetime Donator
Lifetime Donator
My new storage I mean, of course.

e8a16a.jpg

I admit it, I'm a digital hoarder. Some of this data goes back 10 years, but 90% of it consists of videos from ALUK that I cannot bear to delete, or render into smaller files sizes (because that would take me forever). So, I'm looking for a solid, sturdy, and reliable HDD that I can use to archive aaaallllll the old stuff I have hanging around. Speed is only important for the initial transfer when filling it up, as these will not be files I access on a regular basis (if at all). 

If anyone can throw me a few suggestions as to what I should be looking at I would appreciate the help as always!

I'm not even going to tag the regulars, I'm fairly sure this is pretty much their sub-forum now anyway.

Thanks guys!

Wow that's darn good value Wilco. My only concern with value is I'm worried something may corrupt, and I'll lose all my 10 year old MSN chatlogs 

If my concerns are outdated by advances in HDD technology please let me know and I'll take that offer up faster than I took up Proxeum's 

And since we're being crude here, please, nobody laugh at my tiny D:, at least it's not floppy...

@DainMK

If you've got the cash, I'd go for a QNAP storage array.
I've got one and I absolutely love it.

https://www.qnap.com/i/uk/product/items_by_series.php?CA=3

If you're a hoarder of data like myself, make sure you have some redundancy, a QNAP in a RAID5 or RAID6 config can protect you from a single, or double drive failure respectively. Plus the multi-spindle nature of RAID will give you that performance boost on read/writes. Although you'll have to sacrifice some storage space for the parity.

I bought my QNAP after I lost a 2TB drive with 9 years worth of personal data on it. (Personal files, records, personal pictures of my wife / family). That hit me pretty hard as I was thinking about buying a storage solution 1 month before my drive failed completely.

I prefer SSDs
For long term storage, I'd always avoid SSD's since they essentially have a 100% failure rate.
Or at least make sure you back them up on to more permanent media / storage.

Last edited by a moderator:

I prefer SSDs
My C: is a SSD RAID 0 Array  My D: is only used as temporary holding for recordings in progress. 

If you're a hoarder of data like myself, make sure you have some redundancy, a QNAP in a RAID5 or RAID6 config can protect you from a single, or double drive failure respectively. Plus the multi-spindle nature of RAID will give you that performance boost on read/writes. Although you'll have to sacrifice some storage space for the parity.
I think that is the kind of thing I am after! Although I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options they list. Would you recommend one in particular for home use? 

I think that is the kind of thing I am after! Although I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options they list. Would you recommend one in particular for home use? 
I went for the TS-451, its kind of in the middle, not too budget, not too hardcore.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/QNAP-Performance-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B00KXP9RJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456466963&sr=8-1&keywords=ts-451

I wasn't really too fussed about throughput / bandwidth etc, to be honest. I just wanted something I could expand into.
(I'm actually only using 2 of the 4 slots, in a RAID1 (Mirror) but might change into a RAID5 with 4 disks later on if I expand my VMWare / Hyper-V environments).

It's all about how much money you're willing to burn really. It's a really nice NAS, very versatile, but unfortunately not cheap either.

I have a 8 bay Blade server with Raid card and dual PSU's with a battery backup (batteries need replacing) you can have.
get yourself a couple of fibre cards and you have yourself quite a nice storage solution.

you let me know if your really serious about storage ill swing by with one, or three I have 3 left.

I would also recommend a NAS @DainMK

If you were local, I have a spare Synology 2 bay nas sitting doing nothing. :( Shop around, see what you like the look of, post back for suggestions!

For long term storage, I'd always avoid SSD's since they essentially have a 100% failure rate.
Or at least make sure you back them up on to more permanent media / storage.
It's actually the other way around these days. Maybe 5-10 years ago this would be the case, but the recent Samsung 850 Pro's (what I use) come with a 10 year warranty and actually have a much lower annualised failure rate than hard drives, and do tend to last longer with no moving parts. That, plus a good redundancy and backup (remember guys, redundancy is not the same as a backup) solution, and it is quite safe then.

For backups, I actually have my own remote servers plus a cold storage drive array which is just an old NAS of mine in RAID 5. For anyone looking for something cheaper and more practical for most use cases, a really good company called BackBlaze does it for about $5 a month I think, and I used them myself for a while as they were excellent.. I switched only because I needed more fine-tune control.

Back