What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Prison Time Re-work

Charles Vane

Staff Team
Staff Team
Brief Summary: Change the prison times so that people actual begin to fear and respect police as they should be. This i think should be done by changing prison times to ONLY work whilst in the server. I am aware this will be controversial as the usual "this is a game i want to play in my spare time" argument will come up. I do see both sides here and will try to detail why i still think this should happen. 

Detailed Suggestion:

At the minute it seems everyone is a "badman you get me blud say less fuck da feds" and i think that the gangs are so visible on the server newer players only see criminal life and following gangs footsteps is the only way. I would love to see this change and i think that nobody has respect for police and the authority they SHOULD have in the server. (Side note, i know there are some dodgy police and people will just think this is open for police to use that winning mentality even more however thats a whole seperate problem)

Criminals continue to do the same thing day in day out. Do you know how silly i find it when i am in game and i hear someone say that they have murdered police yesterday and got 720 months and then boom next day there back doing what they do again and the cycle repeats. The only real deterrant i see is the propect of life in prison. Which lets be honest some characters should have had this a long time ago. 

I think that people should be spending hours and hours of there in game time in a prison for being a criminal. This would also open up a whole new level of RP because people would have to spend hours upon hours in prison meaning they could make in prison gangs and also gruppe6 would more than likely always have something to do. It gives criminals in prison time to be able to smuggle or get things into prison for them to use to continue business from a cell. I also think it gives the server another avenue to develop. 

Now the skeptics here will say i spend a day at work come home to play for a hour or 2 and then go to bed how can i be expected to spend a week in jail. Well quite frankly, dont do the crime or be smarter and dont get caught doing it. I do not believe that a proper roleplauly session can really be 1 hour long if you are involving yourself in crime/jail sentences. We all know how long it takes to be processed and such. 

I think then, this would also give more use of the courts and time for actual investigations to take place without officers going through hours of investigation/intel gathering and getting the criminal to just sentence them to be back out the next day. I know i wouldnt want to waste my time doing that so why should anyone else that is in CID. 

Before people say this is crazy, i have played servers were all of your prison time had to be spent in game and trust me it was a scary thought going to jail and i think thats the sort of respect we need implementing. It also gave way to some of the most interesting RP scenarios i have ever come across as you end up spending a lot of time with people you generally wouldnt usually. 

I think generally, most of the criminal side of the server get away with way too much and thats why gradually its getting worse and worse in the sense new people see gang life as the only way. 

When new players come into the server now they see how the gangs are, they probably see the lack of respect and care for police and then just follow suit. Then on the other hand if people just come onto the server want to troll police by breaking the law in front of them then have to go spend a couple of hours real time in jail then they sure as hell should learn to not do it again. (I am aware they already would have to do this but they can just log out an play something else for a hour an fome back when its done) 

I think it gives people the ability to create multiple different characters all with different storylines and use the roleplay experience they have gained on a criminal charcter to go into another character which they may not have done otherwise. 

The Pros: 

- Better more realistic roleplay with people actually respecting/fearing the conseqencies of there own actions. 

- Allows another avenue for development whith a whole prison community outside of main city life

- allows characters to RP different things/jobs that are not just criminal. 

- Gets the police the respect they deserve from the player base (Being a cop is tough at the best of times, a bit of respect true to life would be a nice change imo) 

The Cons: 

- Chances of police using this to put people away for way longer than they should (courts and police command would be given the time to look into it without you being released before your sentence is even over and you being past the point of caring then, which in turn will create a better police force) 

- People not wanting there gaming time spent in a prison cell doing nothing (dont do it/get caught,)

- More chance of people being afk in prison (staff have got this)

- Criminal characters/gangs will probably hate this proposal however surely could see the benefit. 

Does this suggestion change balance on the server: Yes, i think on one hand it puts a bit more responsibility onto police to do a proper job.. but at the end of the day if wr cannot trust that faction to do that then we have different issues all together. But then on the other it would hopefully shift the constant warzones hapoening infront of police for people to just log off for the night when being jailed then back at it again tomorrow. 

I would love to hear peoples thoughts as i have said i do see this from both sides as someone who generally does not play a whole lot but i just have to play smarter. Thanks. 

Also should put one of those disclaimers that this is my own thinking not the thinking of the staff team as a whole. 

Wrong thread. Deleted the post. Sorry. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m new to the island and have no real interest in criminal activity I’ve enjoyed being a taxi driver and a park ranger so far and I’ll be honest I haven’t seen much criminal activity. That could just be because I’m new and don’t know what to look for but knowing a few people in the police force in this island,  from my time on another I was shocked to learn of the penalties for criminals. Now my understanding of this was that it had to be served in game as it would of been on the last server I played (arma) but learning now that it doesn’t work like that has my opinion divided. There has to be a balance. Let’s say your on for the night and you get sentenced to XX amount of months. Chances are, depending on the crime your nights gaming will be impacted. Having people have to serve their sentence ‘in game’ is harsh. Having to spend the remainder of your nights / majority of your day in jail is realistically enough of a deterrent in my opinion especially given the lengths of sentences currently applied. It’s great to want people to fear the police and have to spend so much time in game behind bars but in a Game where you can die and respawn in a matter of minutes (situation depending of course) I think the balance will be thrown off significantly. If the process from arrest to sentencing is as drawn out as I’ve seen on other severs then that combined with the current sentencing structure doesn’t want for any further penalties. As mentioned I am new here, I’ve been on RP servers for 4/5 years now and have been a police officer for a good part of that so my view could well be out of keeping from more established members. 

So a bit of a update with this because now i have personal experience here. Yesterday i got sentenced for 1440 minutes which is 24 hours. Now for me, i will not be playing today so all the crimes commited/police time dealing with me and sorting evidence and such has cost me all of about 2 hours that i played in jail last night. 

I stilk stand by the fact for the list of things i had done, a 24 hour in game sentence would have been way more effective because if im being honest i know over the weekend i will not be playing as much if at all so when it eas said 1440 months or whatever it was i didnt even care which is a huge shame for the people sentencing me. A officer tried to flip me for less time and such and create a good RP scenario but in reality 100 minutes or 1440 minutes i wont be on anyway which is still why i think this needs to be in game time serving. 

I even believe the prison times as they stand wouldnt need to be adjusted to begin with as i believe 24 hours in game would have again been fair in this scenario and may have made the police offers more appealing and such. 

Probably worth noting 24 hour sentence would probabaly takr me 2 weeks to do with how much i play. Which again i still would accept and would sure as hell think twice in the future. 

I still stand by my own suggestion big +1 for myself hahaha 

So a bit of a update with this because now i have personal experience here. Yesterday i got sentenced for 1440 minutes which is 24 hours. Now for me, i will not be playing today so all the crimes commited/police time dealing with me and sorting evidence and such has cost me all of about 2 hours that i played in jail last night. 

I stilk stand by the fact for the list of things i had done, a 24 hour in game sentence would have been way more effective because if im being honest i know over the weekend i will not be playing as much if at all so when it eas said 1440 months or whatever it was i didnt even care which is a huge shame for the people sentencing me. A officer tried to flip me for less time and such and create a good RP scenario but in reality 100 minutes or 1440 minutes i wont be on anyway which is still why i think this needs to be in game time serving. 

I even believe the prison times as they stand wouldnt need to be adjusted to begin with as i believe 24 hours in game would have again been fair in this scenario and may have made the police offers more appealing and such. 

Probably worth noting 24 hour sentence would probabaly takr me 2 weeks to do with how much i play. Which again i still would accept and would sure as hell think twice in the future. 

I still stand by my own suggestion big +1 for myself hahaha 
I get where your coming from but to be the opposition here the major reason for it not bothering you is because you won’t be on much over the next few days. 

having to serve 24 hours of in game time in jail will from past experience cause those players to most likely leave the server, I appreciate. Sure 24 hours is on the extreme side but even having to do 6 hours in game is a lot to do if you for example only play for a few hours a night. 

in my opinion if this suggestion was to be green lit then perhaps sentences of over so many hours would require a trial in the courts first? Or look at capping the lengths at which people can be sentenced. 

You have to remember that you are being sentenced from something that you have done in game. Its my own actions that get me there which nobody is forcing you to commit crime. 

But even if i was going to be playing its still only 1 day and i can be back doing whatever i want again. 

Sure some players new to the community might troll police break the law and get a few hours sentence that they might never log back in because of but there not the people we might want here anyway are they. For the most part established players here would know the risk and still be willing to commit crime then they can pay. 

Tbh to get more than a 100 minute sentence you have to do some pretty serious crimes as it is and I know that a few officers including myself will reduce a sentence for being cooperative or giving good roleplay. Your actions should have more consideration as to is it worth the crime. A example from today, we went to stop a faggio for running a red light, would have been a slap on the wrist and off you go. They instead ran and so got arrested, searched and had found a mass amount of drugs on them leading to a near 2 hour sentence. In the end you choose what actions you take and live with the consequence

I get that it’s your choice to perform actions that may lend you on the wrong side of the law but this is a game, people do this for fun and the criminal aspect is appealing to a lot of people. I do not disagree in the slightest that people should be punished for their crimes but you have to balance it. I personally think the current system is Good. It has that balance. Like said someone ran a red light had a bunch of stuff on them etc and got a 2 hour sentence, 2 hours of their night instead of playing the game how they want to being stuck in jail. That for the crimes mentioned is a decent punishment and would of severely disrupted that persons gameplay time. Keep it realistic people will play out the prison times. Make people have to serve let’s say over 6 hours in game will take up a slot on the server for them to end up stood in a corner AFK. 

This is only my opinion and for what it’s worth and to keep on either side of this argument perhaps something along the following lines could be put in place for those with longer sentences (should the current system change to what’s mentioned here) 

offer them a chance to get out on tag after they have served X amount of time, with the condition they have to stay crime free for Their remaining sentence time x 2, if they are caught committing a crime no matter how trivial they have to restart their original sentence and the option of tag is removed from that point and for any future sentences. The tag system in idea (no idea if it’s at all practical to implement) could be added to the PNC system or accessible from a computer at the PD, it would provide a live location for the police to monitor and the person on tag would be subject to a stop and search at any time, a condition of this tag could be they have to remain in a certain area or they are not allowed into a certain area (for gang members etc) issue them with distinguishing clothing too like a jump suit with PERP (prisoner early release program) on or something along those lines, they cannot change out of this as a condition . Additionally at the front desk of PD add a sign in requirement, every hour they are on they have to go along and sign it, missing this would send a dispatch to the police to say X person has gone awol and a warrant issued, then they could be found using the tag tracking system. This would open up a huge potential for quality role play and give the police that bit extra in terms of trying to rehabilitate criminals. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what happened to this post but as someone who is in prison quite often, I would LOVE this. There's never anyone in prison to RP with and it gets so boring.

can we revive this suggestion pretty please

fat tremendous +1

I think this suggestion is pretty outdated ngl. Police and judges trigger happy to an extended sentence, basically blanket banning people on that character and there's little to no prison RP. -1 

@PJ Shinoda-Adams You do understand if everyone HAD to play on their character IN prison for their time to go down, there would be a major increase in prison RP? Come on, it’s not rocket science?

I respect your opinion though. fair enough.

I can only see benefits to this. There needs to be more escape mechanics for prisoners, the ability to lock pick your way out for example, or build a "tunnel". This would balance things out a bit. 

However beyond that the 2nd and 3rd order effects are positive for all players. Regardless of role. The prison would become a new social hub for criminality - oddly enough just like real life - the crime would be less brazen, hey that sounds familiar too. The police would be able to do their jobs more easily as the ability to put people away for a bit would deter some of the more aggressive encounters. This should in turn lead to leniency from the police. 

If it doesn't then the lawyers can step in and if they can't resolve the disputes then the judiciary can have the final say on sentencing. 

The whole process should ultimately rest on the whole community being mature and respectful to one another and stop the shit flinging and intimidation  stuff. Ultimately its an opportunity for everyone to start treating each other like human beings instead of turds. That's the bottom line. 

I 100% support it, as a "criminal main" if that is even a thing. 

Back