What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here 5 left!

Rape Should be fully banned

Russ Millions

I believe that rape should be fully banned in the server as I don’t feel like it adds any thing to the rp experience one could counter this point with torture however I believe that you can torture people for information which is used by gangs and governments in real life but rape to me has no need and I feel like we should stamp it out 

I saw this chat in the OOC and am glad to see it finally brought up on the forums. 

Rape has no place on the server and anyone who does it really should be ashamed of themselves. If it's illegal out of city, why is it allowed in? You can get called racial slurs which will result in a ban - but no ban in place for people known for rape rp? 

Fully agree.

+1 even if people just  "RP" it its just a no go.

If your raping someone in an RP server your down bad end of story sort your life out

100% Agree on this one, it's weird and completely unacceptable.

If you feel the need to "rape" or "sexually assault" someone on a roleplay server you should seriously go see a therapist, I am not even joking. That is not normal nor is it healthy behaviour. 

Personally I don't like 'rape rp' myself.

However, I must stress that all instances of Roleplay which can be considered sensitive in nature which is brought to the attention of the staff team are reviewed on a case by case basis. In the event that the instigator is told to stop and is informed that the player does not want to participate in roleplay of a certain nature and subsequently continues with the roleplay, they are in breach of rule (C1.12). 

In it's current form, rule (C1.12) states "Continuing to roleplay subjects of a sensitive nature after being requested to stop by another player will not be tolerated". If at any point you do not want to participate in this form of roleplay, inform the opposing party via a combination of OOC and /me messages. If this is not acknowledged by the opposing party, contact a member of the staff team. If the roleplay does not cease after the instigating party being informed to stop, if you require,  you may disconnect from the server as a last resort and inform a member of staff. 

As it stands, 'rape rp' is tolerated so long as both parties who are participating are comfortable with it. Although I personally do not like it and can't for the life of me comprehend how it is enjoyable for anyone, I am well aware though that different people have different opinions and some like to participate in this manner of roleplay. 

I personally have no issue with how rule (C1.12) operates currently, however I wouldn't object to 'rape rp' being prohibited completely.

Any opinions presented are merely my own and are not related to the opinion of the Staff Team.

Last edited by a moderator:
As it stands, 'rape rp' is tolerated so long as both parties who are participating are comfortable with it. Although I personally do not like it and can't for the life of me comprehend how it is enjoyable for anyone, I am well aware though that different people have different opinions and some like to participate in this manner of roleplay
With all due respect but do you hear yourself speak? The words "rape" and "tolerated", no matter in what context, should NEVER be said together. 

With all due respect but do you hear yourself speak? The words "rape" and "tolerated", no matter in what context, should NEVER be said together. 
Agreed, some things just shouldn't be done. Can we get an official response on this particular scenario?

I agree with many points on this thread, such as people who want to divulge in "rape rp" should seek psychiatric help and that if thats what first comes to your head on the grounds of torture then you are broken inside however I would also say the same as if someone felt the need to shoot someone in a dirty alleyway and take their life, slice someones throat over calling their gang nerds etc. I think many forms of roleplay are grotesque but they can't simply be banned. It is an 18+ server and we've all seen such things in movies and if you are not comfortable with it you just turn off the movie, well you are given a similar opt out in this situation by stating to the player that you are not comfortable or disconnecting if they dont listen. 

I think what @James Traverssaid is going to be taken out of context and I see it already has. He isnt stating that "rape rp" is tolerated, he is saying if both parties are okay with it then let them do their roleplay, and if you are in the area of that roleplay just walk away. 

I am not in any way condoning this as I personally would opt out as it is just cringe and uncomfortable.

Completely taken the mans words out of context, and re-worded them yourself here.

He has stated he is against it, whilst also stating that there is a certain rule that prohibits ‘Rape RP’ from taking place already, If the party is not comfortable with it.

I am in favour of this ‘new’ rule being introduced, before anyone has a go at me. Simply just explaining that at no point did James Travers say that Rape RP is tolerated when a party is uncomfortable with it, and his words have been taken out of context.

I do hope to see this being implemented

This was from Arma, just last year, some arguments may have already been covered in this. 

Obviously the U18 part should no longer stand.

Completely taken the mans words out of context, and re-worded them yourself here.

He has stated he is against it, whilst also stating that there is a certain rule that prohibits ‘Rape RP’ from taking place already, If the party is not comfortable with it.
I never once said that he himself sympathizes with it. 

Although I personally do not like it and can't for the life of me comprehend how it is enjoyable for anyone, I am well aware though that different people have different opinions and some like to participate in this manner of roleplay. 

I personally have no issue with how rule (C1.12) operates currently, however I wouldn't object to 'rape rp' being prohibited completely.
But he clearly says himself here that even though he doesn't like it himself and he wouldn't mind "rape RP" being banned that he still has no issue with the rule as it currently stands and that he can "see that people have different opinions on it".. now tell me how that doesn't count as tolerating these things? 

I think what @James Traverssaid is going to be taken out of context and I see it already has. He isnt stating that "rape rp" is tolerated, he is saying if both parties are okay with it then let them do their roleplay, and if you are in the area of that roleplay just walk away. 
I am glad that you managed to disprove your own statement within the same sentence, no need for me to further explain how you just demonstrate that it is, indeed, tolerated. Can honestly just facepalm.

I never once said that he himself sympathizes with it. 

But he clearly says himself here that even though he doesn't like it himself and he wouldn't mind "rape RP" being banned that he still has no issue with the rule as it currently stands and that he can "see that people have different opinions on it".. now tell me how that doesn't count as tolerating these things? 

I am glad that you managed to disprove your own statement within the same sentence, no need for me to further explain how you just demonstrate that it is, indeed, tolerated. Can honestly just facepalm.
Noted. Cheers for your input.

I understand the point about it being an adult server but we all know of people getting PEGI banned so if it happens to someone who is later found to be underage that is sexual conduct of a minor. Is that not enough reason to put a complete ban rule in place on it's own?
As much as I know all staff I have spoke to have said they wouldn't engage in it and have given ways to stop it do you really believe people should have to acknowledge and ask people to stop raping them in a roleplay game? 

It happens to affect a disgusting large amount of women and men and if they have that kind of trauma they may be unlikely to speak up about it as it triggers real emotions and memories. We as a community should not be allowing anyone to feel so uncomfortable that they have no other option than to leave when we can easily avoid it.

(C1.2) Discrimination - Do not express discriminatory or otherwise offensive views. This is no place for racism, religious hatred, ageism, sexism, homophobia, gender or disability discrimination. - Permanent ban.

The community doesn't permit you to share discriminatory or otherwise offensive views, it isn't you can share these views but if someone doesn't like it then stop, it is simply if you do this you will be banned. Yet C1.12 which covers offensive roleplay, for example rape is fine as long as you stop if told to stop. Both these things can be offensive for people but we allow one and not the other? This is not the place for either.

Ontop of that, what if you don't feel comfortable asking for people to stop, what if the effect is enough that even whatever happens before they stop has a negative impact on someone.

This is an adult community, it should be adult enough to consider this offensive and see that it is not the place for it.

This is an emotional subject for some, and we've given this a great deal of thought over many years, and have returned to it multiple times recently as we've become a more 'mature' community. It's also a fact of our evolution, and the changeover to FiveM, that more women have joined us, so we continue to review this point and will do most likely indefinitely.

However, we must remember that rape is not simply a 'trauma that happens only to women', and we need to be extremely sensitive not to end up being sexist either way as we address this topic as sensibly and as sensitively as we can.

Nobody here at RPUK condones any form of IRL rape that is non-consensual, and if you're here to get your jollies engaging in oppressive, one-sided, non-consensual rape when told to stop, you'll be banned immediately. 

However, let me be quite clear. Currently on this server already, rape is the only form of roleplayed violent activity on this server that is granted the ability for players to call a stop to it OOC and expect it to end, instantly, if it arises and is suggested in the course of RP.

Note that this same 'get-out clause' is not granted to roleplayed acts of murder, theft, shooting, mutilation, torture, kidnapping, ramming or driving over with vehicles, pushing out of planes, pushing off of cranes, or any other of the horrible, violent, disgusting, antisocial, murderous, foul things that people do to each other routinely in roleplay, without so much as batting an eyelid.

It would be ludicrous and hypocritical to suggest that one form of deadly or life-changingly traumatic roleplay is unacceptable, while quite clearly, so many other forms are actually a key part of the experience that every single player here gets stuck into, at some point or another, as a normal part of living their escapist character-lives or enacting high drama and acting their socks off. It is vitally important that we retain some perspective.

The only form of violent RP we absolutely shun and ban immediately on sight, is anything deadly or sexual involving children/minors.

I think we can all agree that there is absolutely no way that form of activity can ever be considered 'mutually consensual' by both sides. However (and thank goodness), this kind of scenario should never be a thing here due to our player age-restrictions - there should never be any minors here anyway - but we would still not tolerate it even if an adult was roleplaying as a minor in the server. I don't think any of us would disagree with that hard line on this particular flavour of violent RP - but if you do, please leave the community.

Currently, all other forms of roleplay are 'fair game', because we are a Serious Roleplay server and community, and we aim to allow all sorts of 'high drama' as well as violent conflict. If you have a problem with that, or are at risk of being traumatised by such topics, you should not be here. You will most likely encounter various forms of violent activity, either received or given, and almost all of them are most definitely 'illegal out of the city', but we roleplay them here. It's what we do. We are acting in an interactive movie/TV Show/videogame artform.

That said,  it is important to know the limits, and what we will tolerate when it comes to what is, for most people , the 'most heinous of heinous crimes': rape, and its sibling: sexual harassment.

IF IT HAPPENS TO YOU:

Let me re-explain the best-practice 'get-out' approach, for situations where someone requests/threatens/indicates an upcoming sexual activity (whether violent or not), that you do not wish to participate in:

1. OOC STOP - Call for it to stop in OOC chat. If possible give the other party's session ID (gained via the /sessionheads command or using the keybind for RPUK ID CHECK  - details here: https://wiki.roleplay.co.uk/GTA:FAQ). Making your request to stop/signalling your non-consent in OOC means we can check logs later and confirm that (in the event that you had to leave the server and someone's made a combat-log report against you) we can see you had adequate reason to quit pre-emptively, and that you called out the other party clearly to stop, and no action will be taken against you for the alleged combat-log.
  2. /me STOP - Because some players have their OOC chat turned off, back up that demand to stop with a /me message that repeats it quite clearly as an OOC instruction to stop. These /me interactions are not logged, so do not rely on them alone to give heads-ups to staff, or protect you from counter-claims of combat-log. Do both, unless it is clear that the other party saw and responded appropriately to method 1 above.
  3. TICKET/CALL STAFF - If the other party continues to press for this kind of unwanted sexual roleplay, and doesn't look like stopping, open a ticket if you can. Give as much information as possible, but we do appreciate it is likely to be 'in the moment' of a high-pressure situation, and may not be fully coherent at that stage. Just get something on record, a ticket opened, so we know what's going on, even if only from a follow-up position later. If staff are available, they will attempt to take action in-game as quickly as possible, to bring the situation to an end, by whatever method is necessary at the time (including warning, kicking or banning the other party, or temporarily removing both parties, if the situation warrants it).
  4. VIDEO - If you have video evidence for any of the encounter, save it and keep it for future reference. It will once again help in the event you need to counter any vexatious 'combat log' allegation against you, and it will also (of course) assist staff in determining whether the other party was being unreasonable and breaking rules by attempting to continue.
  5. QUIT - If necessary, and if no help arrives in time, or the situation gets too much, and the other party is not stopping, just quit. Get off the server and take a break, and if you can, write up as much as you can recall and prep your video if you have one.

Remember that NONE of those actions above are REQUIREMENTS.

They're just helpful if you can squeeze them in, if time and the situation allows. It may not always be the case. Item 5 is always an option, but of course it is way more helpful to us - and you - if you've taken the preceding steps beforehand, because it stops idiots revenge-reporting you for combat-log quite so easily. But if it comes down to it, and the unwanted sexual RP situation is not stopping, and it's the only way you can cope, just get out of there. Let us know as soon as you can, preferably by ticket rather than the forum report (tickets are more private and less embarrassing for some), so we can pick up the pieces together afterwards, and take the right action.

One word of warning: do not rely on telling someone just BY VOICE that you don't want this sexual RP.

Why?  Because in-game, your voice is your character's voice. It's almost always going to be the case that your character is not going to want this encounter, in terms of plotline, but you may be acting a scene, and the other party may not realise whether you mean the STOP order in or out of character. If you want out, do it in OOC and /me - repeatedly if you have to. Remember that OOC is the only one that is logged, but might not be seen. Keep calm, if you can. Pull the plug if you have to. We will stand by you afterwards.

IF YOU'RE THE INITIATOR:

People who pursue any sort of 'rape RP' or sexual RP against the wishes of another person when told to stop in OOC or /me, will be banned, permanently.

The above should make it perfectly clear how anyone - male or female - can bring about an end to any unwanted sexual roleplay, and have the full backing of the server-admins to do whatever they need to do, to get clear of it. You absolutely do not have to be involved in sexual RP if you do not wish to be, and absolutely nobody can make you.

There remains one final group of situations worth clarifying... consensual sexual RP.

If you and another party wish to engage in sexual RP (whether purely for drama, or partly for drama + OOC fun), and both sides are 100% consenting, then it's nobody's business but your own. As long as you're doing it in a private area, or away from other people, and as long as you're aware that you might be observed, or even held accountable in RP (e.g. arrested by LS Police for indecency in a public place, etc) then it's your shout. We are not an Erotic Roleplay server, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we said it never happened. We're a 'Life' server, and sex is part of life, so it's bound to occur when couples (of any orientation) make RP (or even IRL) romantic links with each other. Just be smart about it. Anyone doing stuff that would be classed as 'indecent in public' IRL, in an area with known observers or considered a public place, will likely fall foul of City Laws and get arrested in-game - all in roleplay.

Anyone observing such a thing unintentionally, or having it thrust on them (e.g. two people deciding to get it on in a public place near them, without warning) has the same options as above for unwanted sexual RP. They can call for it to stop OOC/me, or they can leave the area, or quit the server. Call it in, make a ticket, get away, get it stopped. It should not be happening in public, or even in private if you are there being forced to observe against your will.

But between two or more players privately, all consenting, it's your choice. We're all grown-ups here - just be careful, kind and sensible with each other. Be mindful of the fact that people sometimes change their minds, too. Agreeing at the start does not mean they cannot stop or say no later. OOC/me and the steps above, is always an option.

Finally the question of 'consenting rape RP'.

Yes, it's potentially abhorrent to some people, and if done 'just for shizzles and jollies', then personally I would agree that it ain't my cup of tea either. But if done in private, between consenting adults, then it's a 'personal private business' thing, as per the paragraphs just above about any other form of consensual sexual RP. However, no-one else should ever be seeing it, or even know, so if you're thinking of doing it in public just to get your rocks off, think again.

There is one last variation, and that is roleplayed rape which is done purely for drama - to establish the most heinous of crimes as a plot-line, to provide a basis for a story arc that will later involve revenge, retribution, ostracisation, hatred, and maybe even murder of the attacker, down the line. We're talking bona fide 'Rape in Fiction' type of thing here. If BOTH parties on the opposite sides of that drama are 100% consenting (and this consent may have been worked out either in advance, and the whole thing planned as an RP story, or granted 'on-the-fly' in response to someone proposing or advancing the line of RP during an unexpected encounter), then it can continue and be acted out - not for sexual gratification, but for art, acting, drama.

Same rules apply about observers having the option to get away from it, or demand it stops in OOC/me. Same rules apply if either side of that drama storyline changes their mind - OOC/me to make it stop, and if it continues thereafter, it's bannable by the idiot who carries it on.

Some may disagree that the final variation should be allowed, but you have adequate scope for never ever having to encounter it or see it or be involved, via all the methods listed above. There are valid reasons why - for dramatic purposes only - such subjects can be fundamental to believable roleplay or storylines. I've mentioned to a few folks OOC about the TV show 'Sons of Anarchy', Series Two, where the motorcycle-gang president's wife is raped in the first episode, and the entire series hangs on the fallout from that situation. It's an eye-opening, thought-provoking, very brave series, and personally I think it should be 'recommended education' for anyone wondering what rape does to people IRL. It's harrowing, and heart-wrenching, full of consequences, conflicts, and frustrations, but ultimately, it is the best portrayal of the human side of the impact of rape, I think I have ever seen. There are other films and TV shows that cover it (see that Rape in Fiction link again for reference) - some better than others - but the point is, sometimes, done right, the 'acting out' of a rape scene is a massive dramatic impetus for a whole raft of follow-up scenes and encounters which would simply just not work so 'dramatically', if the first action had been 'implied' or done off screen. Audiences react to the experience in a way that is far more visceral and real than if it had been relayed to them off screen.

That said - remember, we are all ACTORS here. You are not your character and your character is not you. If you can't separate the two, you shouldn't be here. Of course 'you' (the actor) probably likes to win the odd gritty encounter here and there, and to participate in the gamey side of things, and the fun, and the hi-jinks, the murder and mayhem... but it's not YOU in the game itself. Your character is a fictional construct, and not a representation of yourself. This is what enables you to be able to bale out and know that the other people are (or should be) just acting too. It's not real. Don't take it home with you; don't have nightmares about it. If that's happening, get professional help. This place is meant to be fun, sometimes thought-provoking, sometimes even a bit scary (in a horror-movie/gangster-movie kinda way), but it is not meant to mentally scar you, and if you cannot take it, you should stop.

Final reminder - you never have to be involved in rape RP or sexual RP of any kind, if you do not wish to be. Just OOC/me, make it stop and/or get out of it, get help. It's that simple.

Beyond that, you do not have the power to make other consenting people stop murdering each other (sometimes without consent, or even having to check), or doing any of the other terrifying and horrible things to each other that are just as likely to give certain people IRL flashbacks or remind them of past sufferings. This is a Serious Roleplay server for mature adults. If some things are allowed, but others disallowed, simply on the basis that some sub-section of people find it traumatic, then that's remarkably hypocritical, if those same people are quite happily roleplaying murder, mayhem, kidnapping and torture, without a second thought.

That said, we will always listen to reasoned, rational debate, and nothing is automatically set in stone forever, and if it becomes obvious that something is really not working, we will change it.

Remember when debating this subject, be mindful that some people here have suffered rape first-hand, others have experienced its effects through their partners or friends, so show restraint, and be kind. Similarly, even if you have strongly felt views on the subject (either way), we will not tolerate any kind of name-calling, deliberate misquoting or taking things out of context to defame, ad hominem attacks, etc. Keep things balanced, be nice to each other and recognise that human experience and tolerances span a very wide range.

Back