What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

The state of RP 2021

"if you drive away you will be fired upon"
Come on boys there's no place to personal "fights" the issue is much bigger no one accuses just one side , everyone contributed to the shitty RP that is going right now its either low/ooc talking RP or scripted/without creativity RP especially from whitelisted group in exception of NHS and im not talking about the 20-30% that killing it out in a good/excellent RP.

The staff doing their best to keep the server clean and playable but i think that every group leader should talk about it in OOC chat with their groups.

If 60% of the server will be doing decent creative RP this could lead to so many good scenario's without thinking about losing the stuff they got in their pockets clean without a name or persona metagaming the other 40% will always want to keep it up with the others at that would lead into healing of the server in terms of RP its easier told than done but i cant see any other option to firce it out the staff and the management seems decent + 😉

Its come to the leaders of the gangs, police, nhs and all the other gruops to talk about it more with their group members.

That's how it was used to be in Arma

Been a while...

When I crossed from ArmA and tried to get into GTA RP, this is exactly what put me off.

I loved the fantastic combination of police that keep you in a cell for 40 mins processing you "realistically" (aka in a boring as fuck manner), and wannabe gangsters that murder you with a baseball bat for looking at them funny...

The result of a situation felt pre-determined and there was a distinct lack of creativity in respect to how players were treated when they had the back foot. I noticed that this was far more common with those who had not moved over from ArmA.

My ONLY positive memory of a quality situation was from Shepherd (An ArmA crossover) , who allowed me to convince him the man I ran over was my chiropractic patient. Sad to see he's no longer here.

I think that ALL players need to realise that realistic RP is not synonymous with good RP. Make it fun for everyone involved.

Been a while...

When I crossed from ArmA and tried to get into GTA RP, this is exactly what put me off.

I loved the fantastic combination of police that keep you in a cell for 40 mins processing you "realistically" (aka in a boring as fuck manner), and wannabe gangsters that murder you with a baseball bat for looking at them funny...

The result of a situation felt pre-determined and there was a distinct lack of creativity in respect to how players were treated when they had the back foot. I noticed that this was far more common with those who had not moved over from ArmA.

My ONLY positive memory of a quality situation was from Shepherd (An ArmA crossover) , who allowed me to convince him the man I ran over was my chiropractic patient. Sad to see he's no longer here.

I think that ALL players need to realise that realistic RP is not synonymous with good RP. Make it fun for everyone involved.
Went to change my clothes yesterday and some crackhead came in and tried stabbing me 😄

I mean ill take more time to make a conclusion but as i said things not really looking good and this is nothing to do with GTA it self its just seems that the players lost their way to the creative RP that should be in this type of community that exist for 7 years im trying my best to do the most creative RP I can. 

But this is comes to really narrow and scripted RP if any at all - no matter what individual i meet ingame they're breaking OOC talk constantly im trying to bring them back to the path .. but its more than i ever expected it to be.. Voice's of 15 years old individuals i mean if you RP god could be cool but that's not the case sadly.

Its gangs against the police (that acting as a gang at the moment) and the favors in most of the cases is with the police, there's no RP anymore its like "hey your suspicious put you hands up , restrain , checking out your pockets and you're pretty fucked no matter what you'll try to come with .. You're fucked.. 9/10 times in the best case. 
That brings the criminals just to be happy triggered acting fast before the police will bring at least 10 cops on 2 individuals ends up them being shot before any RP could come into place.

So i don't know.. if a streamer and im trying not to come with names that mostly all of the server knows his name, baiting the police like every fucking stream , I mean we are in a bad situation fellows.

I loved the fantastic combination of police that keep you in a cell for 40 mins processing you "realistically" (aka in a boring as fuck manner)
The issue with this is that most officers generally don't want to have to do this but need to stand around trying to coordinate between multiple units to find out how the situation occurred and to gather all the evidence to write a proper report or else they risk being sued and subsequently removed from police.

Ill chip in my 2 cents here from a staff and long term arma/fiveM player. 

From the staff POV, obviously everyone knows we try to do what we can and be there when people need us and be FAIR. Fair does not always go the way people want it too and yes, pisses people off sometimes. Sometimes we come across as dicks or harsh on unban appeals and such but all the issues you face in game and on forums WE have to deal with. Everyone gets tired of having to say JUST ROLEPLAY. Yes, start of arma things were nice, staff did not have to intervene much and for the most part things did just run. However now, were in a different world. Everyone is a Karen, everyone wants to speak to the manager and nobody wants to be wrong. But in this community, its the staffs way and thats regulated to be fair in all cases. A lot of new people have come from other communities where they have not been running for 7 years and they have no idea how under the thumb we all are as staff to maintain fairness. This also goes for devs, they do what they do the best they can and they play the server a lot too, they want to create fun things for all. Which is why im glad this is called the state of RP. 

Roleplay is the thing we all should be here for and try to provide, i know i myself banged on about high quality roleplay in Arma and i was not staff then, far from it. But that wasnt roleplay back then, we just wanted to kill shit and do enough roleplay to be able to do so which i can admit now. I would hate for this to go that way also. The state of roleplay is NOT something that is fixed by any dev/staff intervention. Everyone always says "give us more criminal stuff to do" "we need more content" but roleplay is exactly what you make it. Nobody is playing a character here. There are a few that are worth mentioning:

Buk Ling (Drew) - He streams this character, yes he breaks the law he is a dodgy taxi man and gets into trouble and when he does he owns it and makes the interaction fun for all. Yes, obvisuly he is staff and he can roleplay very well and some people dont want to dedicate so much into there character. BUT we all can take some aspects of character roleplay on board.

Father Augustus - Obviously we all know the father, when he first came into the city i tried to get him selling guns in his church and he was having none of it. He was solely here for the roleplay of the father. This led him to be a leader of people and in the end a leader of the Apostles. Now, im sure he could agree that the weight of that group was almost only on his shoulders. The general players all the people below him looked up to him and if he was on, more of them were on which is normal. What im saying is people need characters and i know to this day the father tries his best to NOT follow this shit meta of 'someone looks at you funny, kill dump' which we can only commend and this is what is needed from a group leader.

Shephard - Im not going to say much here but from my POV from knowing him. Every character was roleplayed well and he tried his best to make each experience a good laugh for all. Regardless.

Im sure there are others but ill stop there.

So that then leads me onto the gangs.. where i could rant about this for days but ill try keep it short. They dont make sense to me. At all. 

The gangs started with a clear vision and set enemies and such but now... have become massive groups of friends that interbreed and marry one and other. I think A LOT of the roleplay on the server now falls on the heads of the gang leaders, i think they are the ones that should be looking and reading this critisism about the gangs and trying to do what they can to change the gang in a better way. They have the means to do so and if they dont, they shouldnt be leading the gang. 

Street gangs as far as i see should be defending there turf, half of them just knock about doing whatever and you dont see them on that turf. If im a random civ walking down the street of grove i should be questioned who the hell i am and why im on there block. The police should feel intimidated to go to these gang turfs and attempt to stop the people dealing and the gangs should be the ones supplying and protecting there block. Which we only see when its one of there people being arrested. What about the people who pay tax? they paying it just to let police sit in your alley and you watch them get arrested and do nothing. 

Im all for gangs beefing and like i said earlier the gangs dont do it, little beefs here and there but it should be good long standing beefs that leave people on edge. You should in theory not like any other gang and as far as im concerned the friendships/marrages that go from one gang to the next are fucking stupid. A blood and a crip aint gonna be friends in no world. Point blank. I do not think that the gang system in my opinion is working as intended and all i see it as right now is a just a stepping stone to go from average civ to "gangster" a gangster who calls the police, snitches and calls to liaison as soon as something does not go there way. I HATE how when one gang and another have a dispute suddenly EVERY other gang needs to come and chip in because the person something happened too is someones distant cousin and its some other gangs mom or sister who is married to jon from the ballas and is the stepson of a vagos member. IMO gangs need to be stricter, gang leaders need to be the ones there to put things into place and come up with ROLEPLAY scenarios that could end good or bad for that gang and just roll with it. @Qrow(John Pope - Ex lost MC President) used to do this, we used to fucking hate it sometimes because he would go off on his own, fuck something up on purpose (ooc) then we all have to deal with it in game. BUT what he was doing was creating RP scenarios. Ultimately, in doing that we had a lot of trouble BUT it got the Lost MC active and doing things again because there was things to do. Thats what all leaders i think should be doing. 

Im not saying these things here to bash gangs or any leaders im just saying you are gang leader and have been chosen because you have been deemed capable of controllling the direction of YOUR gang in all aspects. The only reason that the state of RP is being spoken about as a server wide issue is because everyone and every gang are so interlinked. If triads were providing shit RP consistently it would be very easy to deal with from a staff POV if all the other gangs were acting different and doing there own thing. BUT as it stands, if triads are then ballas are most likely with them acting the same then Mara might be allied and involved again. Thats my point. 

I would just love gang leaders to even OOC arrange things with other gang leaders OUT of game to direct a roleplay story in a certain way and see how it plays out. One side will win, one will lose. Im not saying use OOC to come up with storylines to fake it in RP at all here either, just lets try to do something. The people in gangs day to day would probably be almost half the server. 

Police are always held accountable and are ALWAYS bashed if they are too harsh or not. This will always be the case but if your breaking the law, your breaking the law. Yes in arma if you were seen doing something you could fabricate some bullshit story and if the cop liked it, yes he would let you go with your MK1 on your back haha. BUT FiveM is a whole different ball game, they are there to RP and if your RP is criminal they will fuck you for it. In arma, people didnt want to spend the 30 mins processing you, RPing and sending you jail because nobody really cared. They just wanted to get to the next panic haha. Here, they are almost forced into it and rightly so. (not all cases, we all know trojan will let you off with anything for a panic 😉 but thats there job ay)

NHS tend to be and always have been the best roleplayers you can expect. People join with that intention and thats why you hardly ever see them. Its not cool enough to be a medic, is it 'fam'

Overall, staff always try to police and point the server in the best quality roleplay but we cant control peoples anger and ego at other players. Its YOU reading this that needs to change. Allow yourself to lose, allow yourself to have fun and most importantly try to make it fun for the other person involved. If you dont like that person in character still make it fun, if you dont like that person OOC then grow up. Avoid them but if you do have to deal with them in RP put it aside.

Everyone is here to try spend some time having a laugh, not every situation will go the way you think it will but just try have a good time anyway.

Been a while since i wrote a big post.

Im out

gather all the evidence to write a proper report or else they risk being sued and subsequently removed from police.
And here's where I think part of the issue lies.

The fact that cops have to make actual writeups at risk of being removed is ridiculous. There's a line between fun realism and tedious realism and that crosses it.

From the staff POV, obviously everyone knows we try to do what we can and be there when people need us and be FAIR. Fair does not always go the way people want it too and yes, pisses people off sometimes. Sometimes we come across as dicks or harsh on unban appeals and such but all the issues you face in game and on forums WE have to deal with. Everyone gets tired of having to say JUST ROLEPLAY. Yes, start of arma things were nice, staff did not have to intervene much and for the most part things did just run. However now, were in a different world. Everyone is a Karen, everyone wants to speak to the manager and nobody wants to be wrong. But in this community, its the staffs way and thats regulated to be fair in all cases. A lot of new people have come from other communities where they have not been running for 7 years and they have no idea how under the thumb we all are as staff to maintain fairness. This also goes for devs, they do what they do the best they can and they play the server a lot too, they want to create fun things for all. Which is why im glad this is called the state of RP. 

Roleplay is the thing we all should be here for and try to provide, i know i myself banged on about high quality roleplay in Arma and i was not staff then, far from it. But that wasnt roleplay back then, we just wanted to kill shit and do enough roleplay to be able to do so which i can admit now. I would hate for this to go that way also. The state of roleplay is NOT something that is fixed by any dev/staff intervention. Everyone always says "give us more criminal stuff to do" "we need more content" but roleplay is exactly what you make it. Nobody is playing a character here. There are a few that are worth mentioning:

Buk Ling (Drew) - He streams this character, yes he breaks the law he is a dodgy taxi man and gets into trouble and when he does he owns it and makes the interaction fun for all. Yes, obvisuly he is staff and he can roleplay very well and some people dont want to dedicate so much into there character. BUT we all can take some aspects of character roleplay on board.

Father Augustus - Obviously we all know the father, when he first came into the city i tried to get him selling guns in his church and he was having none of it. He was solely here for the roleplay of the father. This led him to be a leader of people and in the end a leader of the Apostles. Now, im sure he could agree that the weight of that group was almost only on his shoulders. The general players all the people below him looked up to him and if he was on, more of them were on which is normal. What im saying is people need characters and i know to this day the father tries his best to NOT follow this shit meta of 'someone looks at you funny, kill dump' which we can only commend and this is what is needed from a group leader.

Shephard - Im not going to say much here but from my POV from knowing him. Every character was roleplayed well and he tried his best to make each experience a good laugh for all. Regardless.

So that then leads me onto the gangs.. where i could rant about this for days but ill try keep it short. They dont make sense to me. At all. 

The gangs started with a clear vision and set enemies and such but now... have become massive groups of friends that interbreed and marry one and other. I think A LOT of the roleplay on the server now falls on the heads of the gang leaders, i think they are the ones that should be looking and reading this critisism about the gangs and trying to do what they can to change the gang in a better way. They have the means to do so and if they dont, they shouldnt be leading the gang. 

Street gangs as far as i see should be defending there turf, half of them just knock about doing whatever and you dont see them on that turf. If im a random civ walking down the street of grove i should be questioned who the hell i am and why im on there block. The police should feel intimidated to go to these gang turfs and attempt to stop the people dealing and the gangs should be the ones supplying and protecting there block. Which we only see when its one of there people being arrested. What about the people who pay tax? they paying it just to let police sit in your alley and you watch them get arrested and do nothing. 

Im all for gangs beefing and like i said earlier the gangs dont do it, little beefs here and there but it should be good long standing beefs that leave people on edge. You should in theory not like any other gang and as far as im concerned the friendships/marrages that go from one gang to the next are fucking stupid. A blood and a crip aint gonna be friends in no world. Point blank. I do not think that the gang system in my opinion is working as intended and all i see it as right now is a just a stepping stone to go from average civ to "gangster" a gangster who calls the police, snitches and calls to liaison as soon as something does not go there way. I HATE how when one gang and another have a dispute suddenly EVERY other gang needs to come and chip in because the person something happened too is someones distant cousin and its some other gangs mom or sister who is married to jon from the ballas and is the stepson of a vagos member. IMO gangs need to be stricter, gang leaders need to be the ones there to put things into place and come up with ROLEPLAY scenarios that could end good or bad for that gang and just roll with it. @Qrow(John Pope - Ex lost MC President) used to do this, we used to fucking hate it sometimes because he would go off on his own, fuck something up on purpose (ooc) then we all have to deal with it in game. BUT what he was doing was creating RP scenarios. Ultimately, in doing that we had a lot of trouble BUT it got the Lost MC active and doing things again because there was things to do. Thats what all leaders i think should be doing. 

Im not saying these things here to bash gangs or any leaders im just saying you are gang leader and have been chosen because you have been deemed capable of controllling the direction of YOUR gang in all aspects. The only reason that the state of RP is being spoken about as a server wide issue is because everyone and every gang are so interlinked. If triads were providing shit RP consistently it would be very easy to deal with from a staff POV if all the other gangs were acting different and doing there own thing. BUT as it stands, if triads are then ballas are most likely with them acting the same then Mara might be allied and involved again. Thats my point. 

I would just love gang leaders to even OOC arrange things with other gang leaders OUT of game to direct a roleplay story in a certain way and see how it plays out. One side will win, one will lose. Im not saying use OOC to come up with storylines to fake it in RP at all here either, just lets try to do something. The people in gangs day to day would probably be almost half the server. 

Police are always held accountable and are ALWAYS bashed if they are too harsh or not. This will always be the case but if your breaking the law, your breaking the law. Yes in arma if you were seen doing something you could fabricate some bullshit story and if the cop liked it, yes he would let you go with your MK1 on your back haha. BUT FiveM is a whole different ball game, they are there to RP and if your RP is criminal they will fuck you for it. In arma, people didnt want to spend the 30 mins processing you, RPing and sending you jail because nobody really cared. They just wanted to get to the next panic haha. Here, they are almost forced into it and rightly so. (not all cases, we all know trojan will let you off with anything for a panic 😉 but thats there job ay)

NHS tend to be and always have been the best roleplayers you can expect. People join with that intention and thats why you hardly ever see them. Its not cool enough to be a medic, is it 'fam'

Overall, staff always try to police and point the server in the best quality roleplay but we cant control peoples anger and ego at other players. Its YOU reading this that needs to change. Allow yourself to lose, allow yourself to have fun and most importantly try to make it fun for the other person involved. If you dont like that person in character still make it fun, if you dont like that person OOC then grow up. Avoid them but if you do have to deal with them in RP put it aside.

Everyone is here to try spend some time having a laugh, not every situation will go the way you think it will but just try have a good time anyway.

Im out
From my point of view if one group/faction is providing shit RP it influences all the other parties that were involved in that RP.

Let's say for example if vagos within like 4 days start beef with 4 different gangs naturally those 4 gangs will start beef with vagos. My point of view in this is that if even one gang is providing shit RP it is enough for other gangs to provide the same because its the natural course of RP they can't just ignore the fact that their gang members got shot obviously they will retaliate this also applies for police, lost whatever you name it everyone is influenced by each other's actions if the problem started with that certain group than it should have been dealt with the moment it became a problem.

Everyone's gang/whitelisted faction is linked to each other either they like it or not if one of them steps out of line and starts providing shit RP than something should be done about such faction or maybe the faction leader should be stricter.

As for the set enemies you mentioned, i don't really know what to think about it because let's be honest, roleplay evolves, people shouldn't have to be stuck in an infinite cycle of having to deal with the same gang/person over and over again that's how i see it.

As for police i honestly agree that police get way to much shit for their actions sometimes warranted most of the time salt, people still haven't understood the fact that balancing police Vs gangs is something near impossible there is no middle ground and even if there was, one side would find a reason to complain about it the only thing i could say about that is that the balance will have to be settled by staff dealing or saying which situations are fine or not and this is honestly the only way i see about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the issues currently for gangs is that the make those stupid "friendly" relationships between them and it takes away from the whole possible "gang vs gang" rp situations 

If you feel like you want to merge, choose one side, don't be making an "alliance that never ends" that will always be there to back you up to make sure you don't "lose"

it's roleplay, YOU WILL and HAVE to lose sometimes, accept it.

the gang leaders who are chosen to lead said gangs, should understand that better than anyone, currently and every time I start having a chat about these things within the city, the main person who I bring up as a "role model" is @FatherAugustusas he is doing a great fucking job! the character is great,  be it when he's a cunt or at the dealership or just a drunk head around the city he understands he will sometimes lose, even when he's pissed about it but he will take the L,  being way to stubborn but that's his character, I accept and understand that.

As a gang (you are those role models on the server) you should be providing scenarios and situations that can build up something huge! even if it might not end up beneficial to you, you might lose and that should be expected, but end of the day (thank fuck) this is a game and you can earn and get what you lost back, the whole experience is what maters.

The worst thing that I see happening lately is we are scaring some potential great players/roleplayers, that if WE (Yes, everyone who has wrote here as well!) don't do better with, then they won't have the same amazing experiences we had and won't really want to stay, which in turn eventually will just move to a different game/server/whatever because it won't be something that they will want to come back to.

I don't know when or what changed (well, a bit "harder" now) but people are a lot more violent and that should not be the case.

yes, in some scenarios you should be, especially gangs, but for the right reason and not to just be a dick to everyone.

END OF THE DAY, if everyone took a moment to think about how they are roleplaying and WHO their character is, stick to that - make it entertaining and try and remember what it felt like when you first came, understand that losing is an option and sometimes by losing - you actually win, in our case the server being a place that is more fun for everyone.

Is the staff to blame? fuck no, the community makes itself what it is, not the staff, if you are dicks, that's on you.

the "state of RP" can decline and it can grow and succeed, but that's all up to us and how much we want it and contribute towards it. 

Sorry for grammar mistakes, obviously not my first language 😜 

all of this is my own opinion and TLDR a lot can be improved by us as players and not by the management/staff/devs.

singleplayer GTA is always an option if you want to win everything lel xd lmao.

edit:

wow... only after I posted this I realized I wrote this much, my apologizes for being boring haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Im out
I think you hit the hammer on every single nail there is.

A lot of people may not agree with me here as they are most likely in a gang but i believe that gangs should not run the server, it ruins a lot of Rp situations when people know they have a lot of power. This causes a lot of beef between people and also makes people not want to play on the server. I think the server should be ran by civs and gangs should be on the side, i think it would be good if we focused on regular people that aren't in gangs and so on as my time in the server i have realised that most updates have focused hard on gangs/Criminality, there is not much legal things to do like money making methods. I think a few people would love to see actual work places come into play like food places actually having people work there and things like that would also allow a lot more roleplay.

A lot of people may not agree with me here as they are most likely in a gang but i believe that gangs should not run the server, it ruins a lot of Rp situations when people know they have a lot of power. This causes a lot of beef between people and also makes people not want to play on the server. I think the server should be ran by civs and gangs should be on the side, i think it would be good if we focused on regular people that aren't in gangs and so on as my time in the server i have realised that most updates have focused hard on gangs/Criminality, there is not much legal things to do like money making methods. I think a few people would love to see actual work places come into play like food places actually having people work there and things like that would also allow a lot more roleplay.
I understand your point but how would this be executed? If Police went ten fold on gangs there would be a lotbof complaints from players who would then feel how you do?

Not criticising, just don't get how your idea would be executed to please all parties. FYI I don't play criminal, I play Police, NHS and G6.

How would the community feel about minimising the white listed gangs down to a handful of players each and taking away some of the power and privilege they have and limiting it to a handful of selected players who roleplay the selected faction actively and thoroughly. Keep gang positions and colours to proven entities within the community. 

Then a more thorough initiation and vetting process as well as establishing a set of rules or charter to follow. 

That should stop some of the chimps with guns causing trouble and trashing the factions. 😉

I understand your point but how would this be executed? If Police went ten fold on gangs there would be a lotbof complaints from players who would then feel how you do?

Not criticising, just don't get how your idea would be executed to please all parties. FYI I don't play criminal, I play Police, NHS and G6.
I don't know myself how it would be Executed, I think that would come down to how staff believed the best way for it to happen is. I also believe it would never happen at this point as like I said they have put so much time into making gangs run the server, it would be far to hard for them to Execute something like this.

I don't know myself how it would be Executed, I think that would come down to how staff believed the best way for it to happen is. I also believe it would never happen at this point as like I said they have put so much time into making gangs run the server, it would be far to hard for them to Execute something like this.
To be honest my main ambition at this stage is trying to get more civilian roles into the server, like my coroner suggestion. 

Back