What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here 5 left!

Update G5.1 (Character Names)

1A3

Developer
Dev Team
Los Santos Police Senior
Due to the fact multiple people can use the same name IRL and that we aren't forcing character names to be unique in-game either I believe G5.1 should have the "do not use names of well known characters, celebrities, political figures, criminals etc..." part removed as there isn't really much of a reason to have it.

If it was created to stop people impersonating them then that could be added as a new rule which disallows people impersonating IRL "well known characters, celebrities, political figures, criminals etc..." as in my opinion it doesn't make sense to just completely stop people using a name because it's the same as a "well known" person.

-1 IMO

I'd rather not see:

• Adolf _
  • Barrack Obama
  • Donald Trump
  • Jimmy Saville
  • Garry Glitter
  • Lucifer Morningstar

Each character people make should be unique to them, not copy and pasted names from the internet of their favourite actor, character etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering I have seen names of "Celebrities/Famous people" that staff haven't clocked because they are famous to certain groups and not all then I see no problem with removing/editing the rule.

In regards to Liam's point. Maybe edit it to say staff can decide if the name is distasteful. So famous names such as Brad Pitt, Nathan Fillion etc are fine but names such as the ones listed above would be classed as distasteful by staff and be asked to change.

+1 overall

Considering I have seen names of "Celebrities/Famous people" that staff haven't clocked because they are famous to certain groups
We're told, if you need to Google the name. Don't reset it, hence why you'll see them.

We're told, if you need to Google the name. Don't reset it, hence why you'll see them.
Yeah that's fair. What you think about my edit suggestion? Be interesting hearing from a staffs opinion albeit personal obviously 😉

Yeah that's fair. What you think about my edit suggestion? Be interesting hearing from a staffs opinion albeit personal obviously 😉
All we would get is -

"Well he has X name, why can't I have X name"

The rule doesn't need to be changed. If staff don't clock a 'famous name', it probably means they aren't famous enough to break G5.1 which will let them trickle through and be undetected.

Each character people make should be unique to them
Correct which is why they might choose a name which accidentally happens to be the same as a some random "famous" footballer or actor a staff member knows of

Correct which is why they might choose a name which accidentally happens to be the same as a some random "famous" footballer or actor a staff member knows of
accidentally

99.5% it isn't accidental

accidentally

99.5% it isn't accidental
Well I mean either way it's not an issue? It's just a name? For unique famous names like Barack Obama and Donald Trump etc I agree with what you said however for celebrities that have common names like "Brad Pitt" or "James Corden" etc it seems a bit pointless.

Well I mean either way it's not an issue? It's just a name? For unique famous names like Barack Obama and Donald Trump etc I agree with what you said however for celebrities that have common names like "Brad Pitt" or "James Corden" etc it seems a bit pointless.
I mean, people making their name that are attempting to copy the names of Actors. Thus breaking G5.1, I won't respond further as I don't want to litter your thread.

Fyi; Brad Pitt isn't his real name, nor is James Corden.

I'm with Liam on this one. 

I get here you are coming from with some names that might be more "normal" and just happen to be a combination that is also the name of someone famous, but I too feel like the majority of the time it won't be chance but on purpose. 

It would really depend on rather youd want to delete the rule or just rephrase to be more specific. 

combinations of famous names makes sense but using the full name of a famous person is a little odd and I feel that is the heart of the rule. I am sure staff wouldn't think twice if they saw someone called Brad Aniston or Jennifer Pritt.

However it is far more immersive to just pick a random name you like from a baby name generator if you can't come up with something original rather than copying names of famous people in anyway.

I agree with Liam, I wouldn't want to see a Lucifer Morningstar and other famous names. I'd rather want someone to make their name famous through RolePlay. Examples: Father Augustus, "The Old Man" (I know that isnt his name, but I like that it was created and is imho more famous), there are other known names. 

Once got killed and dumped by someone pretending to be combo from this is england.

Surprised I wasn't called a slur

I was named after a Russian astronaut that got burned up (don't Google it) but changed it when I realised. If I met someone with a name I recognise even if they are not roleplaying them it can be a bit distracting. 

Imagine if the leader of hustlers or grove was called Frank Sinatra it would just be silly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
+1
When creating the character and picking the name Common sense should be considered. 
Example: REDACTED was kicked and forced to do a name change for a his name "Charles Johnson". Two extremely common names. 
The reason was that a streamer is using that name for one of his characters. Not even on this server.
HUuH? 

I think it would break this rule 

(G5.2) Believable Character Roles - If you wish to roleplay as a lawyer, it may not be realistic that you will repair your car at the roadside, or shoot and kill a man for scratching your vehicle. Pick a style that suits your character's backstory and role and stick to it. You have multiple character slots for a reason!

AND

(G5.7) Character Growth - Your character should have long term growth. Your character should not join our server on creation and instantly be a millionaire crime lord. All characters should grow into their roles – initially starting off with few resources and knowledge of the city.

As being a well know person from fame wouldn't they have to be rich from the get go? and avoid places cause they will have people wanting photos and stuff? If someone comes in as Will Smith and someone comes in as Chris Rock would he have to slap him on stage? jokes but They cant just come in well known and be poor with nothing unless they are roleplaying that persons life from where they started cause seeing a famous person in city running around shooting people when you know them as an actor or a president would just look strange and people will use that persons name to benefit them and maybe even have a slight advantage over players with normal names they made so -1. Cheers x

-1 IMO

I'd rather not see:

• Adolf _
  • Barrack Obama
  • Donald Trump
  • Jimmy Saville
  • Garry Glitter
  • Lucifer Morningstar

Each character people make should be unique to them, not copy and pasted names from the internet of their favourite actor, character etc...
I remember the rampant use of celebrity/political names from Altis life and how many 14-year-old Boris Johnson's robbed me with their squeaker voices. -1 from me because we don't need to repeat history. I will say, can we combat everyone being John Smith or Tim Guy? Some people go the opposite way of creativity and choose a name 500 other people share as well.

Example: REDACTED was kicked and forced to do a name change for a his name "Charles Johnson". Two extremely common names. 
The reason was that a streamer is using that name for one of his characters. Not even on this server.
This is a good example of what my suggestion is for.

My main point was that it shouldn't be against the rules to use the names of well known characters from other servers or random "celebrity" names (e.g. random footballers from a team local to the staff member) or ones that only like one or two staff are aware of.

I think it would break this rule 

(G5.2) Believable Character Roles - If you wish to roleplay as a lawyer, it may not be realistic that you will repair your car at the roadside, or shoot and kill a man for scratching your vehicle. Pick a style that suits your character's backstory and role and stick to it. You have multiple character slots for a reason!

AND

(G5.7) Character Growth - Your character should have long term growth. Your character should not join our server on creation and instantly be a millionaire crime lord. All characters should grow into their roles – initially starting off with few resources and knowledge of the city.
That's why I said a rule should be added that you can't impersonate them instead of just completely blacklisting the names.

I'd rather want someone to make their name famous through RolePlay. Examples: Father Augustus
Anyone else that would try to do "Father x" would be name reset since "Father" isn't a valid first name. Also just because you have the same name as a famous person doesn't mean you are that famous person.

Fyi; Brad Pitt isn't his real name, nor is James Corden.
Huh? The actor Brad Pitt's name is "William Bradley Pitt" and James Corden is "James Kimberley Corden".

Considering I have seen names of "Celebrities/Famous people" that staff haven't clocked
That is also another reason why I did this suggestion since I've seen a few people with famous people's names who haven't been reset (I'm guessing due to being on the server for a while).

Maybe edit it to say staff can decide if the name is distasteful. So famous names such as Brad Pitt, Nathan Fillion etc are fine but names such as the ones listed above would be classed as distasteful by staff and be asked to change.
This seems like a good idea except the fact that the current name resets aren't persistent so it'd probably result in some staff seeing some names as distasteful whilst other staff don't etc.

I remember the rampant use of celebrity/political names from Altis life and how many 14-year-old Boris Johnson's robbed me with their squeaker voices.
It's good that you need to be 18+ to play on the FiveM server then.

Back