What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Which CPU?

Sikee Atric

Hi guys....

In a few months, my A10-6800k and r9-270x Toxic (The APU is disabled, as i couldn't afford the GPU until later....) are going to be semi-retired and passed to my 11 year old for school and his gaming (Proud he dislikes consoles!).  So I am on the look for a new build....

I want to build a rig that is for the long run, not for quick upgrading and I am wondering which way to go.  I have a budget of 1700 and plans to add a second GPU in three years when higher resolution monitors become more affordable.  I know the rig is total overkill for just 1080, but I want to run this build for five years if possible....

I have the specs for the build as :

GTX 980 Ti

256 (or 512) GB SSD

2tb SSHD

16gb DDR 4 

Nepton M240 CPU cooler

The question is, which Chipset/CPU combination should I go for, the Skylake I7-6700k or the Haswell E I7-5820k?  (I will over clock a little, but not to extremes as I have to protect for the long run.)  Please remember I am building this rig for the long run, with a plan to purchase the parts on Black Friday (It's my birthday the week before, that's another reason why I am planning.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys....

In a few months, my A10-6800k and r9-270x Toxic (The APU is disabled, as i couldn't afford the GPU until later....) are going to be semi-retired and passed to my 11 year old for school and his gaming (Proud he dislikes consoles!).  So I am on the look for a new build....

I want to build a rig that is for the long run, not for quick upgrading and I am wondering which way to go.  I have a budget of 1700 and plans to add a second GPU in three years when higher resolution monitors become more affordable.  I know the rig is total overkill for just 1080, but I want to run this build for five years if possible....

I have the specs for the build as :

GTX 980 Ti

256 (or 512) GB SSD

2tb SSHD

16gb DDR 4 

Nepton M240 CPU cooler

The question is, which Chipset/CPU combination should I go for, the Skylake I7-6700k or the Haswell E I7-5820k?  (I will over clock a little, but not to extremes as I have to protect for the long run.)  Please remember I am building this rig for the long run, with a plan to purchase the parts on Black Friday (It's my birthday the week before, that's another reason why I am planning.)
If it's for the long-haul then you might as well get the 6700k since it's the latest line. the 5820k is good too but you might as well go for the benefits of the Skylake line if you have the budget. The OC ability of Skylake vs Haswell-E/Haswell REfresh is not that different, so performance wise you should be all good.

So if you an afford it - go for the latest since it'll remain current for longer.

Edit: What @Wilco said

This is such a confusing issue, as I can see both sides, and reviewers and channels give no clue.  They just review, now, not for the longer term.

I guess the decision is down to how much multi-threading will be important later.  I will add that I would like to stream with the new rig, plus I play games like Day Z Standalone and GTA V, as well as my guilty secret of Euro Truck Sim 2 (put the radio, or podcast on and drop out for a bit, ;)). Since more cores might help with streaming and load later on, does this additional info change opinion?  I know Day Z is going Enfusion engine soon and 64 bit support is being added (even ETS 2 has it now.)....

More cores wont help you without applications being written to take advantage of them - not without you manually assigning the process to the extra cores. 

I would say unless you're doing HIGHLY threaded work like rendering, modelling etc. and the pc is just got Gaming and general use the nthe 6700k is the way to go. That 5820k HEDT processer is a) Big b) going to run hotter than a normal desktop cpu.

The 6700k will be more than adequete for DayZ/Arma/GTA V or ETS2.

Not to go too off-topic - is ETS2 any good? I have it but never played it.

It is chill out, relaxing and strangely satisfying.  Plus, even though the engine is not the most modern, it still looks better than most AAA console titles.  The modding scene is amazing too and just about everything in game is now modded.

Plus, the trucks are not the easiest thing to drive, you actually have to think about it, and the simulation levels are getting scary, right down to the hisses of the seat correctors and the air pumps driving them.

Back